Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

500 big bore stroker banshee pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my engine back together and have been riding it around now for about 10-20 hours and was wondering,since fmf created the fatty pipe for a 350cc banshee would this not hender the air flow in a larger engine.any thoughts on if this might be a problem or am I just waisting my energy thinking about it.Also if any one knows about a set of pipes for my larger engine let me know. I do know that drag pipes would be a solution but wouldn't be practical for the type of riding i do.

Old 02-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Why not? Your not going go take it to the woods are you? Who built you motor they are the ones to ask.

Old 02-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe he is an open class MX/TT racer???

Old 02-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I do race TT and circle track but have been racing in the 350 and under class, but I doubt they will let me race in that class any more he he.
I had thoughts like yours at first thought there would be no way that I would be able to ride this quad in the woods, but the motor dosent have an exotic port job so keeping it in the meat of the power is really just as easy as riding a stock banshee just has ALOT more power everywhere.The person that did my port work said that the pipes I have now might be as good as it gets with out drag pipes. Any way I was looking through some old DirtWheels or one of the ATV mags and hapend across a set of pipes called CPI pipes they looked alot biger than my FmF's. Has any one used these pipes or know any one that has? The mag didn't mention any thing about them other than the name of them.

Old 02-01-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

In my exp. The FMF are great pipes for bolt on banshee but once you get into port work and big bores the pipes start to hold you back. My banshee buddy has a ported true 350cc stock carbs new reeds and intake boots and cool head he was running FMF and switched to Tommeys notice a BIG diff. The CPI pipe is a great pipe prob. the best out there besides all out the side drag pipes for a highly modded banshee. I would recomend looking at the CPI it is really a Inframe drag pipe. But be warned they are fat and you may run into a prob. of burning your leg. I oreder a CPI pipe for my bike and althought it didnt fit I have the odd year bike the craftsman ship was great. I think you would be happy with either Tommeys t-5 or CPI but feel the T-5s may hold you back some ride the FMF then switch to the CPI and let me know how much of a diff. you noticed i think you will be shocked.

Old 02-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

hey your 100 percent right to want to know if your pipes are alright to run with a 5oocc stroker and to tell you the truth i don't think they flow nearly enough.I have a 480 power valved stoker and i'm running cpi in frames.they r the best pipe unless you go to drap pipes.LRD also makes a pipe just for big bores.Alot of machine shops can mod your pipes to work with the increasesd amount of flow that you will be getting.If you want call the guy that built my engine TDR racing in florida he'll give you great advice....also hope your running a bigger radiator with that engine.-

Old 02-02-2002, 05:10 AM
Trailblazer

Hey 2hard2holdon what power valve cylinders are you running I looked into the fmf powervalve 400 but they said that It wouldn't work with the 10mm stroker crank. Also did you have any other pipes before you got your cpi's?I was wondering because since I posted my responce I have talked to people about the cpi's and they said that they gave alot more peak power than other inframe pipes such as fmf,T-5's exe but they also made a much more narow powerband.Also since they are much larger of a pipe do they hinder you duing agressive riding and did you have to trim your plastic or run race finders in order for them to fit?

Old 02-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

What about Paul Turner pipes? I have seen a couple and both the banshees flew and I mean fast.

Old 02-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

i am running the fmf cylinders in a 72mm bore size not the 68 wich makes the 400 kit...I've ran cpi pipes,toomeys,paul turners(high revs) and dmcs.I like my cpi's i think that for an engine in the displacement size that i have with the porting that i have none of the other pipes could handle the amount of flow that i would need.AS far as having a short power band,i think it is better than the toomeys-and different than the other too.I don't have front fenders so i didn't have to cut them but if i did have fenders i would have had too-