Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee questions????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i bought a banshee and it needs some work...i have some questions please help

it will not go in gear, the kid said it needed clutch plates but i dont think it does...can someone tell me what this might be?

how hard is it to change swingarm bearings???

If its smoking in one side should i change the pistons and ring or just replace the rings or not do anything?
thanks please get back to me

Old 02-17-2002, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

How much did you pay for this banshee? Depending on your budget, I say to do the following...
Top-End rebuild
Pipes
Port and polish
Pro-Design filter set-up
Hinson clutch

Swingarm bearings, depends, pretty easy if they actually come out easy, otherise it's a biiiiiaaatttch.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw this on a Blaster this weekend - Kid said it wouldn't go into gear. Well, it would, but quad would not move. Popped clutch cover off and he had been into it and taken it apart, but did not align the plate cover with the grooves in the basket, therefore allowing no pressure to the clutch plates (ie - similar to having clutch depressed all the time). Put it back together the right way and bingo it works. Maybe this is all your problem is?

On the smoking problem - just rings is not the way to go as compression needs to be as equal between the 2 cyls as you can get to make it run right, and you probably have just a little more wear on one cyl than the other.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was smoking on one side also. Is it the right side cylinder/pipe? If so, then the right crank seal is leaking and sucking your tranny/clutch oil up through the seal into the cylinder and burning it (most likely). Another way to check is to watch the level in the case after rides. I actually ran out of oil once because I didn't even know it was leaking (because it wasnt leaking onto the ground, it was being burnt). The seal is only a couple dollars, but you will have a lot of work ahead of you to install it. I did it myself. I had to take the engine out, take off the cylinders, pistons, then split the case, lift up the crank, put in seal, put all back together. It does not smoke any more and does not use any oil.
Maybe the kid was running it like this not checking the tranny oil and burnt up a bearing somewhere in there, dealing with the trannsmission? I would be careful with it, and I would check that crank out, cause if he did run it without oil you may be adding a new $200 crank to it, before it gernades and costs you more money to fix everything it busted up.

First I would take off the clutch cover, and there is a shifter mechanism by the clutch. Make sure the spring and everything is attached and that the thing that turns that circle type thing (star) isnt jammed up. YOu may have a simple problem, or you may have to split the case and take a look at the gears.

Good luck with it. And tell me which side is smoking.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Old 02-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

hi thanks everyone. its smoking on the left looking at the back of the quad. i am going to go out there now and check the clutch out in my garage. but i know the clutch plates were replaced a month ago so i have a feeling its something little and not that. but do you think i will need new rings or what should i do on that smoking problem??? i dont want to ride it until it blows up?? i will post a reply after i check that clutch
thanks everyone