Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor reliability? Banshee content also

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride alot of the same conditions as you over here in eastern/central PA. Strip mines, woods, tight woods, fire roads, rail roads, power lines,.. on and on for miles and miles - to go far reliably it has to be 4 stroke. The raptor handles better in stock trim than a banshee, its faster than a banshee stock. also the banshee is old school yamaha - its saving grace is the unlimited supply of aftermarket components.

I feel you will like the controls better on the newer raptor as well, I feel the clutch, shift and brake controls are on par with honda. You have allready experienced the banshee thumb, poor shifting. coming from a honda to an old school yamaha will give you a rude awakening, unless you like tinkering before every ride.

I have had problems with my raptor, I broke the rear shock (redesigned for 2002) and the carb boots have blown off (redesigned or fixed for 2002) but no trouble from the tranny (redesigned in 2002) I would still buy it again over anything else.

Old 02-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

King Raptor,
Im new to the area, so Im not sure what the 201 is? Im not much into track riding anymore, still nursing a thumnb from two years ago, but if your talking drag racing, im up for it..Do you hit the dunes often? Im thinking about Gordons well around Mar 2. Let me know...

RoostKing...

Old 02-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Cmon Rooster ! I'll show you where 201 is (about 20 min east near AJ) and that way I have someone else to race with my "tippy" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] raptor!! Kingraptor PM your info, I live near Roostking also.

Michael

Old 02-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yo Michael, great riding with you this weekend! Your one of the ones I was referring to when I said tippy!!! Remember the jump, you landed that fine, but thats not what got you, it was turning to the right that caused you to TIP...

Probably give you a call tomorrow!

RoostKing...

Old 02-19-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I went from a 400EX to a Raptor. Just what the doctor ordered. If you had an MX 400EX then you will need to spend a bit to get the raptor to handle as well. But if you had a stock 400EX, you will love the Raptor. It should be as easy to ride but with more power and reverse. It is an excellent machine. As for the reliability, it's all how hard you are on the machine. I don't ride mine as hard as others, and mine has been bulletproof. I have the exhaust on it, and it is a major thrill to ride. Wheelies in 4th no prob, and a tug on the bars in 5th. Woods, hillclimbs, roads, etc. For MX tracks, it is noticably heavier than the 400ex, and rides a bit higher, so I agree with some of the comments of the previous posters.

But, one of the reasons it feels tippy is the stock tires. They have so much traction, that they don't powerslide very well. The Banshee has so much wheelspin, that you just pin it and throw it into a corner, and everything comes out fine. But if you widen the rear axel using the stock tires, you can get a similar behavior. Personally, I love the rear tires, as I ride in the snow in the winter. I have tried many tires in the snow, and I ride with tons of guys in the winter. The best setup is a Raptor on stock tires. It has enough power, and traction that it is the first machine through all the time. The other guys just don't have the bite. So it's a tradeoff.

The Banshee is a cool machine to ride, just 15 years old. Top ends are pretty frequent (but if you have to do a tranny on a Raptor you are in for as much), and fouling can be a problem if you don't have jetting bang on. I would say those are the two major issues I've seen.

I just love to ride, and don't like wrenching. So far, I have been pretty lucky to have a bulletproof 400EX and a bulletproof Raptor. I'm not the guy making the others wait while I fix my machine at the start of each ride......

Good luck. Both machines are a blast, I find the Raptor to suit my preferences pretty well.

RM

Old 02-20-2002, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

Hey Renny, thanks for the response!

I took a look at a few raptors down the shop today, they look very modern, but have a 400EX-ish feel to them when sitting. What im looking for, is a very potent machine. Much more than the 400EX has. I noticed on the Raptor, while just sitting with the clutch in playing with the shifter, it has that "yamaha" bulky shifting. I doubt its any different while the machine is running. Have lots of missed shifts? If you can, contrast the power of the raptor to a 400Ex, to a banshee. Im just really interested in finding out. I plan on within 2 weeks to get something. Maybe sooner. So if you would. When i hit that gas, i want a really snappy response and with lots of power! No messin around. Tell me whatcha think.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Let me make one thing clear.. I am NOT bashing the Raptor!!! Only giving my opinions and responses to other posts. Like was just said, he has a Raptor and he is not the one keeping everyone waiting ,while the banshee owners are fiddling with their machines, me included! if having to mess around with your machine in camp is not what you want(not because banshees are junk, but they do require some adjustments) then get a Raptor or similar four stroke. But if you dont mind doing that kind of stuff, the tradoff is awesome in terms of power vs. $$$$. And regardless of what anybody says, the feel of a banshee when it hits its powerband is unmatched. Now one thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is a Cannondale. I saw, and raced, a Canondale Cannibal and that machine was impressive to say the least. He was beating Raptors, 400 ex, a few quadzillas, and less tuned piped Banshees at Gordons Well this weekend. (not mine, do to the aforementioned tinkering in camp!). Heck, i am even thinking about selling my banshee so I can truly have the best of all worlds.. Track, trails, and sand...And talk about state of the art. EFI and aluminum frame. That makes all other quads ancient by comparison...

Good luck, your choice is much harder than it was even 3 years ago, lucky %$&*%()&

RoostKing...

Old 02-20-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Roostking I was having the same thoughts about the Cannondale. I to have seen them run at the dunes and for a bone stock machine they haul. Like you said they're so hi-tech nothing comes close to what they have to offer stock for stock. I race mx and ride dunes and the Cannondale seem's to fit the bill for both worlds. A local dealer here has a Moto 440 on the floor.

Still waiting for a ride report on the new Suzuki I have on order before I make a final decision. I also seen a sweet 400ex with a yz426 motor and all Roll Design components for sale. Hell, I may even consider that quad. Decisions. Decisions.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

The shifting isn't bad on the Raptor. (I know I can just hear the other guys who have had their trannys go on them griping away). Not like the warrior or banshee. I would still say the 400EX is smoother.

If you are looking for snappy power response, then the Raptor is right up your alley. It has a much more usable (wide) powerband, that you'll find that you have power everywhere.

Definately buy a 02, as we hope their changes have solved some of the tranny issues.

RM

Old 02-20-2002, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

Im glad to hear the shifting is better than the other yamaha's! I myself am about 6' tall, 210lbs, so I need a huge hunger for power! lol. If the raptor can produce a LOT more power response than the 400EX, i'd be very interested. I want to make sure i do the right decision. How are they for hillclimbing? I know the banshee is about second to none on hillclimbing up around this area.

Quick Reply: Raptor reliability? Banshee content also