Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor reliability? Banshee content also

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRS311,
I know your asking a lot of questions, but rightfully so. I would be too in your shoes and have been in the past. But really what it boiles down to is what kind of deal you can find for the money. They are both good machines (Raptor/Banshee), each have the small weaknesses, but your going to have to look around and see what you can find in your area. One thing I would advise against though is that if your going to buy stickly new I would go with the Raptor I guess. However, if your going to include used bikes in great condition as well, than I would be hard pressed to even think about anything else, but a banshee. Like I said before, 4,500.00 on a good built banshee could get you everything you would want on an ATV. To include 2 into 1 carb, good set of pipes, after market shocks, and sometimes billet, aftermarket a arms, skids, axles, swing arms, stearing stems, ect; This is why I bought the banshee I found. Matter of fact I just helped a friend buy one last night out of Indy. Many of the same parts as mine for the same price. Ultimatley and obviously your going to have to make the decision yourself. But like I said don't forget what it always really comes down too biggest bang for your buck. And to reiterate if your going to consider buying used along with new ATV's I would deffinately look into seeing if there are any good banshee deals in your area, and then compare what they offer part for part against a new or used Raptor. Good Luck!

Oh, one more thing I wanted to add. Don't let some of these guys scare you about the banshee being a 15 year old design. Thats just market stategy talk. Some of the best cars ever built were built with engines and chassis in the 60, 70's, and 80's. To even include the exotics such as the Lamborgini's, Ferraris, and Porches, and even though thats like comparing apples to oranges the concept is still the same. Just because something is newer doesn't mean its better. As a simple example, how many Raptors, do you see in the Heuvos and other newer ATV videos? How many banshees do you see? Obviously the pros would know what to choose and run if they preferred one over the other. You do see some DS 650's in the newer videos though.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

I am wondering if it would be worth it or not to you, but I am selling my 01 Banshee. It still has part of the second tank of gas in it with stabilizer, is being kept in a heated building. It is mint. Not what I wanted for the trails around here, bought a 660 Grizzly. I will have to get $4500, could hold out for a little more, but if I cannot get that I will keep it. For another $500 I will throw in, a brand new, in the box, set of Trinity Stage IV stainless steel pipes, with silencers, and a K&N air filter. If you are interested, depending on how far you have to drive, Harrisburg is 500 miles from here, the state line bordering Ohio on I-80, is about 700 miles. Its about 340 mile to the PA-NY line on I-84.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cannondale makes an awsome quad, but look at the price of one. I've had a Raptor for a year now and have had no problems at all with it even after a ate s--- last year jumping. My advice would be to go with machine that you can get the best deal with.

Old 02-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Well as far as deals on each quad, I can get the banshee dirt cheap for a new one. The raptor, i could work on it. Either way, the raptor will be about 600 more bucks than the banshee. At least!

You guys are saying its more tinkering around the camp, as an example. Do you really have to change jets and tinker with that a lot?? I would think not, but thats really weird.

Im always the one waiting on others, so I'd be pretty mad if i had to be the one holding someone up.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I thought I might have overstated that part. I like to get mine riunning as best I can while in the dunes,but the fact of the matter is, you buy a banshee get some pipes, Pro design pro flow and a good filter, maybe a 13 tooth front sprocket, and youll be set for awhile...Years easily. It all depends on how hard your ride, but that goes for any machine. I ride mine hard, have fliped it, rolled it, revved it to the moon and i have not had 1 problem with the motor or tranny. It runs as strong as the day I bought it and I have never been on another quad that gives you the rush of speed and sportyiness as the banshee. Trust me, Im not like a die hard, brand loyal, type of guy, Like you I want to make the best decision, after all quads are not cheap. Plus it depends on if you want new or used, I bought mine used, but it only had 2 hours on it. Didnt have any aftermarket parts at all, I wanted to do all of the work myself and have learned a great deal from it. If I buy another one, Id go used. Like was said earlier, you can find some screamers for $4000. I After reading you initial post, I think you want the Banshee...Like I said though, the Cannondales are super fast for being stock. This guy was wasting Raptors and DS's, as well as some piped banshees. If youve got $7500 or whatever, Id go with a Cannondale, if not, get a banshee.

Good Luck...

RoostKing...

Old 02-21-2002, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

I was looking in the cycle trader and I found 6 1998 and up used Banshee's for $2000-$4000. A Banshee with $3500 in mods would KILL almost any quad on this board and every stock quad. And you still could have spent less than a Cdale or Rappy, or DS. $3500 oh the possiblities.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

Hey Roostking, thanks so much for the responses so far, you do see what i want clearly. Here's the trick. When I got that itch to buy another quad, the only one that came to mind was a banshee. Now, being me, I make sure i check out all the aspects of other things before diving into something. But, i love the banshee, always have since the day i first saw one. The only other one that I will consider buying is the raptor. I dont care for the reverse, its just a plus. I do like the fact that the 4 stroke is very reliable, but after somethings i hear about the raptor going bad, it makes me pause. I like the fact you can putt around with it, ride wheelies, do the tight woods with. But from what I gather, the banshee can do this as well. I need a bike to where if i get myself in a situation, I need to get outta there. A huge hillclimbing machine is a must. I live in a place where people know nice quads come around, and they wait for opportunities if your not careful. Really cool place, but its just those few ya know? Anyhow... Letting all the reality sit in before i get a quad, im scared about a few things on the banshee. Im scared about the two stroke ordeal. I never rebuilt an engine, i could learn real fast, but the trick is i never did it yet. I generally ask, well, on your banshee, how often does the top end last? When I start getting riding, i ride a lot!! 200 hours a summer is nothing at all for me to do. Now from what im told, I would have to rebuild quite a bit, then others say you wont have to for years. In general, I dont ride "hard". Meaning, i dont abuse the quad. I keep it in the main power, but i do not always crank. Thats occasional. I dont rev to the moon, but I rev to the point where its high enough, period. I dont wanna hafta worry about the reliability. From what I gather from ya, it seems reliability isnt the issue. When I say reliability, im focusing on the motor only. I know all about the frames and everything else, except the motor, because everyones is different. I know when I was on my friends banshee years ago, I was cooking with it pretty much the whole time lol! It was so fun. But there's lots of times i just want to putt around, cruise around an area, chill out, not in a big hurry. Half the time, im riding by myself. It probably wont be like that anymore but I do like to just cruise when im alone. Unless others are around. Im the type of person to baby a quad, watching out for the rock on the side so i dont scrape it on my chrome(lol), and im the one who also gets crazy and races around. I never wrecked out of the 10 years I been riding, some close calls but hey it happens. I take great care of my stuff.

When I took a look at the raptor and banshee side by side, in my opinion for looks and originality, i really liked the banshee better. NOW, maybe cuz its been in my mind for so long, but i doubt it. Im just seeing all angles with this. Generally there's always two quads i look at. When I got my 400EX , it was either that or a banshee. I went with the 400EX cuz of the reliability, and because it was influenced by others. I dont regret getting it, but i know i want a lot more bike than that. I never ridden a raptor, probably wont for a while unless I get one, but I would hope it'd be a real ripper. Something exhilirating. Soon as I get rid of my 400EX, then ill really be excited to decide! But its great to hear from all of ya too on your comments, its influencing the right way.

Old 02-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

By the way, about a new or used quad. I'll definetely buy a new one. Reason is because around here, I know how folks are with them, they arent careful enough. Most bikes I went to look at before were really used, so to just avoid a possible problem, i'll go for new. The money issue doesnt really matter to me because its an investment for me. I dont mind the extra grand to pay for new.