Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dynojets & reading plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on my Sparks X6 with stainless headpipe, Proflow adaptor & foam filter, Modified my airbox & left lid on as per instructions. Used 146/148 jets, needles on 4th groove from top & air screws 3 turns out from bottom.The pipe & airbox mods really woke up my Raptor! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It pulls hard in all gears from bottom to top! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No flat spots, no heasitations, no popping, runs great![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]The problem comes in trying to read my plugs. I put in a new plug warmed it up & ran it. I have a dirt construction road that I can run at wot for 15 to 20 seconds.When I took out the plug it read lean. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I then put in 148/150 jets & ran it again with a new plug, still reads lean! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I put in a plug with about a hour trail riding time on it that looked slightly rich & ran it again. Still reads lean! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I went trail riding for about a hour loaded up & went home. Pulled the plug & it looked sightly rich. I called Dynojet & they said because of the detergents in modern gasolines you can't go off plug readings as they are washed clean.They told me to jet it so it runs good & it'll be ok.So if it runs ok & I leave it how do I know I'm not running lean & burn a valve or the piston?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good question I had the same results with mine. I run mine so rich that I can tell it by the performance of it. Not so bad to slow me down just say I were to skip an air filter cleaning I can tell it. I would like some kind of sollution just to make me feel I was getting all I could out of it. Has anyone used an EGT?

Old 02-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Moose mine did the same thing pro-flo kit dyno jet stage 2 GYT-R slip-on 144/146 jets. I did some throtle test and it was alittle lean greyish white.Then I rode it alittle longer then the plug started to read rich. I to called dyno jet and they said that about the fuel additives I was worried about my piston also they said if there is no bogs or hessitation then it should be fine. the only thing is when it is reving high like third gear and let off the gas it pops alittle. Iam leaving it alone it runs real good.

Old 02-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going to find out for sure. I've got an appointment to put it on a dyno tomorow. They have an air/fuel meter so I'll get the straight scoop on how much power my mods gave me & know for sure what my jetting is.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wish I had close acsess to a dyno. How do you like your trail techs? I ordered lazer stars and they were back oredered so I was thinking about the trail techs.

Old 02-19-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

ward660R; I looked around & asked on this forum & found out the only big diffrence between the Lazer Stars & Trail Techs is $100. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Got mine from Rockymoutianatv.com for $119 I ordered mine 2 weeks ago & they were in stock the 50 watt bulbs were back ordered though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] you can see them on thier web site & it will show if thier in stock or not. Just go to the lighting section & click on your quad & see a pic.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks I went ahead and ordered mine today from Rocky Mtn. I got the generic handle bar clamp since I have already moved my lights and key. I think if I like them I wii order two more to mount on the frame behind the upper shock mounts.

Old 02-21-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

ward660R; do you have a high output stator? If so which one?