Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THE CPSC IS.I HAVE BEEN A YAMAHA DEALER FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND HAVE HANDLED 2 TRANSMISSION ISSUES AND EVERYTHING WAS COVERED BY MY DEALERSHIP AND YAMAHA,BUT IN BOTH CASES THE CUSTOMER WILL ADMIT THE FAILURES WERE THEIR FAULT.BOTH UNITS WERE PURCHASED FROM ME AND I TAKE CARE OF MY CUSTOMERS ,CHANCES ARE YOU BOUGHT YOURS AT ANOTHER DEALER AND WHEN YOU TOOK IT TO YOUR HOMETOWN DEALER HE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU.THE FACT THAT WE HAVE PEOPLE SUGGESTING LAWSUITS AND RECALLS ON AN ATV FORUM LIKE THIS IS REDICULIS.ARE YOU PEOPLE SO SIMPLE MINDED TO REMEMBER THAT IT WAS THE CPSC THAT CAME DOWN ON MANUFACTURERS BACK IN THE 80"S AND SPORT ATV"S WENT AWAY.EVERY ONE COMPLAINS ABOUT NOT HAVING MORE SPORT ATV"S AND IT IS PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU LAWSUIT HAPPY WIMPS THAT WILL NOT SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALER ,SHOP MAIL ORDER AND THEN COMPLAIN TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG.THE FACT THAT ANY MEDIA OUTLET ,FORUM ,MAGAZINE,OR WOULD PRINT CRAZY IDEAS ABOUT RECALLS AND LAWSUITS SHOULD BE BLACKBALLED.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS THESE ISSUE"S WITH ME I WOULD WELCOME THEM.

THANK YOU
LARRY WHALEN
MANAGER
DONELSON CYCLES
ST LOUIS MO
314-849-1830

Old 02-20-2002, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

GIVE ME A 02 TRANNY AND I'LL
QUIT CRYING!!!!!
PROOFS IN THE PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

cry me a story dude!
dirtwheels has reported its bad...why the hell do you think they updated it?
you have fixed 2 good for you. but others on here havnt had there fixed.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

Lets just say i bought a raptor, 6500.00 or whatever they cost and my tranny blew i will be honest with you i would be up somebodys *** real quick. As for the problems in the 80s that had nothing to do with mechanical failure. I hear where these people are coming from as for lawsuits if yamaha is giving them the run around and not fixing the problem i say more power to them. They shouldnt have to eat the cost of parts and labor for yamahas mishap. BS Ill bet if you werent a manager at a shop and this happened to you and they told you too bad you would be singing a different tune. And as far as the two you took care of and it was there fault, maybe its dealers like you that are giving people with problems that arnt there fault a hard time with yamaha.
AirBanshee01

Old 02-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Larry,

You must have huge 5 pound nuts to come on here and flame all of us "simple minds" that have had a Raptor tranny fail and then tell everybody on here where NOT to buy their next Yamaha. Since you just a manager, i wonder if the shop owner knows your on here dragging his name and livelyhood through the proverbial mud. As Yammy customers we to some extent depend on our dealers to tell Yamaha what the problem is with thier machines not tell them that the customers are the problem and not to worry about it.
Mine failed, it wasnt my fault. Yamaha covered it, which was the only legal thing they could do short of having me sue their ***. I agree that something like this may give the CPSC ammo to use against the entire sport, BUT it wouldnt be an issue if Yamaha would step up and do a voluntary recall of these transmissions like they should. I personally HAD to shell out the $800 or whatever it is for an extended warranty so that I could keep this quad and know that if and when it breaks again I'm not screwed.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that there isn't a problem with many of the '01 transmissions for some reason. All I can figure on that one is that you just don't get out much or talk to many Raptor owners or your just so blindly loyal to your brand that you can't see past it. I know around here, if I ride up to a fellow Raptor owner and ask, there is about a 50/50 chance that he will tell me he has had a failure. The owners that havent had a failure are worried and waiting, babying a tranny that should be in a scooter instead of a high performance quad with huge torque.

I found your little rant here blaming the customers for Yamaha's problem, to be humorous and very short sighted. I really have to wonder if it ever even occured to you that if Yamaha did the right thing and admitted they had a potentially dangerous defect, and did a voluntary recall, the CPSC wouldn't even be involved.

I hereby declare that Preposterous be the word of the day.

PS A friendly tip: Don't type your post in all CAPS because people associate that two things. 10 year olds and hillbillies

Old 02-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

<< DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THE CPSC IS.I HAVE BEEN A YAMAHA DEALER FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND HAVE HANDLED 2 TRANSMISSION ISSUES AND EVERYTHING WAS COVERED BY MY DEALERSHIP AND YAMAHA,BUT IN BOTH CASES THE CUSTOMER WILL ADMIT THE FAILURES WERE THEIR FAULT.BOTH UNITS WERE PURCHASED FROM ME AND I TAKE CARE OF MY CUSTOMERS ,CHANCES ARE YOU BOUGHT YOURS AT ANOTHER DEALER AND WHEN YOU TOOK IT TO YOUR HOMETOWN DEALER HE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU.THE FACT THAT WE HAVE PEOPLE SUGGESTING LAWSUITS AND RECALLS ON AN ATV FORUM LIKE THIS IS REDICULIS.ARE YOU PEOPLE SO SIMPLE MINDED TO REMEMBER THAT IT WAS THE CPSC THAT CAME DOWN ON MANUFACTURERS BACK IN THE 80&quot;S AND SPORT ATV&quot;S WENT AWAY.EVERY ONE COMPLAINS ABOUT NOT HAVING MORE SPORT ATV&quot;S AND IT IS PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU LAWSUIT HAPPY WIMPS THAT WILL NOT SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALER ,SHOP MAIL ORDER AND THEN COMPLAIN TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG.THE FACT THAT ANY MEDIA OUTLET ,FORUM ,MAGAZINE,OR WOULD PRINT CRAZY IDEAS ABOUT RECALLS AND LAWSUITS SHOULD BE BLACKBALLED.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS THESE ISSUE&quot;S WITH ME I WOULD WELCOME THEM.

THANK YOU
LARRY WHALEN
MANAGER
DONELSON CYCLES
ST LOUIS MO
314-849-1830
>>

Larry,
I am the one who started telling people about the CPSC, and I have no issue about doing it. When magazines come right out and say that the 01 raptor tranny has weak dogs on second gear, I LISTEN.

How can you be so short sited to think someone isn't going to get killed with a bad 01 raptor trans? Do you seriously think that a trans isn't going to lock up, flip someone over the handle bars, and break a neck? What will that lawsuit do to sport bike production? While I do NOT agree with everything the CPSC has done, over all I would rather have them then not have them!! Lets take a look at what the CPSC has done. They went after 3 wheelers? OK.. who cares? I agree with the CPSC that they aren't near as safe as 4 wheelers. They worked with manufactures to setup guidelines for atv child usage. Now while I feel these guidelines are out of date and out of line, they are in fact just doing this for children. When has protecting children been a bad thing? Do you not agree that young kids should be in child seats while in a moving car? If they need child seats don't you think some guidelines for atvs are a good idea? Again I agree the guidelines are misplaced, and need reworked, but not abolished.

Lets take a look at many of the recalls the CPSC has been involved in lately. Yamaha yz125 and yz250s for sticking throttles. Would you really like to be on a yz250 with a stuck open thorttle, or do you agree this could be a dangerous situation? Do you not think for your own safety you would want this fixed? Polaris has recalled several quads for bad transmissions that can lock up and cause the rear wheels to lock up. Would you feel safe doing 30 or 40 mph up or down a hill with the rear end locking up? I don't think so!

What I, and every other 01 raptor owner wants is a safe a decent quad. All we are asking is that Yamaha fix the OBVIOUS issue with the dogs on the gears, like they did for the 02 model. I want to know I'm riding a safe quad.

And while you might be covering all 01 repairs, most dealers and yamaha are NOT. Even if they were covering repairs, I would still want mine fixed up to 02 specs, prior to it breaking. Week transmissions that can lock up at any time are not my idea of fun.

So bitch and moan at us all you like... we can be just like yamaha and not listen.

Brad

Old 02-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

have you ever thought if you greeeeeeeeedy dealers would beam back to earth on your prices poeple would actualy sapport you.
Or maybe train your service departments personel in a manner were they understand that you do work with your head out of your butt.

I won't stand for such a moron coming on here telling us like this piece of junk, and owe by the way, yes we have to put the same junk gears back in.
If you greedy dealers would go to yamaha, maybe we wouldn't.
I and many many others have washed our hands of yamaha.
And yes, come back with something here, and don't think twice that it won't end up in yamahas in box.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

bottom line is yamaha needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall, then there would be no need to go to the CPSC to get them to DO THE RIGHT THING, we shouldnt have to wait till it becomes an injury case

Old 02-20-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, this is freakin hilarious!

You shop guys screw hard working people out of money, and then you come in here and belly-ache about us not supporting our POS dealer? A little real-time info here. I bought my Banshee in 99, and took it to the dealer for them to check out. 2 weeks went by, and I had heard nothing from them. I called one day, and quote &quot;Yes, we are working on it. It has been on the stand for a week and a half. We have the bearing, but we can't get the seal.&quot; The very next day my buddy called about some YZ parts, &quot;Yes sir, we can get any part you want within a 2 days, and most of them overnight.&quot; Well, after 2 weeks of my quad being up on the stand, they charged me $210 to replace the WHEEL BEARINGS.

Sorry buddy, but you can stick the $40 labor charge up your ****!

P.S.- BansheeBrad, I noticed you have a Mavica. I have had mine for about 3 months, and it started screwing up the other day. I called Sony, and they said to not use a floppy disk more than 2 times. What's the deal? Has yours ever screwed up like that? &quot;Drive Error&quot; keeps flasing on the screen.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

<<

P.S.- BansheeBrad, I noticed you have a Mavica. I have had mine for about 3 months, and it started screwing up the other day. I called Sony, and they said to not use a floppy disk more than 2 times. What's the deal? Has yours ever screwed up like that? &quot;Drive Error&quot; keeps flasing on the screen.
>>

I have had one odd problem with my Mavica, sometimes, but rarely, I can't read a disk in a pc that the Mavica has written pictures to. I just keep getting disk errors on the PC, and it won't be all the pics, just 1 or 2. Now if I go back to the mavica and do a disk copy, then read the new disk in a pc I can get all the pics off the disk. I just figured my drive in the camera was a little off, but I haven't lost a picture yet so I don't really care...

I think it has something to do with the 2x and 4x read/write speeds... but I have noticed that it almost always fails on old disks..

Brad

Quick Reply: CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER