Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Real world Raptor dyno test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Just got back from the test & tune in Atoka OK. I don't care what that fancy computerized Dyno said, my A$$ dyno says WOW!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

the moose,

did you run it on the dyno when it was stock. If you would have then you would see what the power gain was. This would be more important than the actual peek number since dyno machines may vary.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

chasman: your absoultly right. I hadn't really planned to dyno it though. HP numbers are not really that important to me I dynoed it because after adding my mods I discovered that it is not possible to read plugs while running pump gas because of all the detergants. so my main reason to dyno it was to get an accurate aif/fuel reading. I Didn't want to melt it down so I checked to be sure

If I knew I was going to dyno it I would have done it stock first. None of my mods couldn't be changed back though so I may put it back to stock & try it again.

Old 02-24-2002, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Fuels: Many of you may know this better than I, but references to "high" octane/"low" octane comparisons are always interesting.
Low octane fuels actually release more enegy (btu's) faster than high octane fuels, and are more volatile(meaning they will ignite at a lower temperature, and under lower compression). Higher octane fuels are detonation retarded (in the ignition sense)so that they can be used with higher compression engines. If you see flames coming out you exhaust you are probably using to low an octane.
What happens with a lower octane fuel is that it will ignite prematurely due to compression as the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, trying to "backfire" or push the piston back down. Sometimes this ignition takes place just before the exhaust valve closes, so you see flame from the exhaust. This isn't really a compresion ignition, but one caused prematurely by an overheated cylinder wall or piston. Obviously either scenario is udesireable and robs power. Higher octane fuels take more compression before they will spontaeneously ignite, and run cooler because they release less btu's during the same period of time. What is their advantage? If selected properly for the compression and engine RPM range, they will yield more power because they burn when and where is best for the power stroke and do not "fight" the engine. A common mistake is to select too high an octane assuming it will give more power. Most fuel makers have a good descriptive list of their fuels and the correct application for these.

Old 02-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] OK I showed you mine now let's see yours! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

What are your HP numbers? Be honest, you won't be helping anyone & you'll only be fooling yourself by posting inflated numbers.

So let's see em! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have my bike in the shop getting cam/piston porting and all that stuff done to it. They did a before dyno with the HMF full exhaust, pro flow kit with K&N and a dynoJet stage 2. It only topped out at 39.5HP!!! That seems really low. I think my jetting was off big time so would that effect those numbers big time? I think HMF shows that there exhaust with jet kit and box mods get you like 42 and that isnt even with the K&N. I was hoping to get around 43 but 39.5 is rweally low!! Guess I will be selling this exhaust next and getting a differant one. I am hoping to have 50+HP with all the mods I have listed below, Im starting to think I will be a little disapointed but what do you all think? See Ya

Old 02-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Text i bought my Raptor brand new and i have never put pump gas in it some people say i am stupid but i have always ran VP red in all my quads so i guess i am just stuck on it before i got my Raptor i had a 97' Banshee with Bill's pipes and silencers boost bottle and some other mild motor mods and had a +4 swing arm with +2 axles with 1" spacers and +2 A-arms it was a fun ride.

Old 02-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

sykoquadrider: Dirt Wheels said my sparks X6 should make over 44HP & I got 41.3HP. Your off by about the same amount that I was. If your jetting was way off it may of affected total HP but I don't think by much. Did they have air/fuel on the dyno? All dynos are diffrent I would like to hear your numbers after the mods you have listed. It should be over 50HP. Has anyone dynoed a stock Raptor?

Old 02-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know if it had air/fuel. I was hoping to haver around 55hp with all my mods but now looks like might not even touch 50. I am gonna be piossed

Old 02-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried a different dyno? That is low...even for a Raptor!

Quick Reply: Real world Raptor dyno test results