Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Real world Raptor dyno test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a different dyno? That is low...even for a Raptor!

Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

primalraptor: The stock raptor has only 9.2:1 compression. No way you need to waste money on race gas for your Raptor. BTW what octane is VP red?

You are probably going to cost your self more money in matinence. The higher octane fuels burn much slower than pump gas & will leave more depostis on your valves piston & combustion chamber.

You also will recieve NO performance gains on the contrary you'll proabably actually lose some HP by using race gas.

I use 89 octane pump gas & have no pre-ignition (knocking) only if you detect knocking should you move up to the next higher octane (for me that would be 91 octane) any more & you could have some problems, some sooner (fouled plugs, blocked spark arrestor screen, etc) some later (carbon buildup) so save your race gas for when you bump your compression.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

kingraptor: I am one of those dyno novices you speak of mabey thats why I wasn't afraid to post my actual numbers for all to see! This is the first time I've ever dynoed anything. But thanks to the feedback I've recieved from you & others I would like to think I'm a bit wiser now.

VILNRK told me about a place in Tulsa that has an atv dyno.
Since I've jetted my Raptor slightly rich (It's only got 24 hrs on it so I'm being cautious) when I rejet for the summer heat I'm going to dyno it again, this time on the atv dyno.

I'll be doing pulls with stock airbox lid (with restrictor removed), airbox lid with 5-1" UNI vents installed & no airbox lid.

I'm hoping what you & others said will be right & I'll see more HP. With your 10% to 18% correction It should show between (+10%) 44.4 HP (Dirt Wheels said 44.6 HP) to aprox (+18%) 48.3 HP (seems high but I wouldn't complain [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]). My original HP showed 41.3 Do these numbers sound right to you (I'm not exactly a math wizz!)?

Do you have any HP numbers for your 686?

Old 02-27-2002, 09:40 PM
Range Rover

BiggerisBetter, Be sure to post thoughs Dyno numbers since I will have a near identical setup as you soon.Also is your 195 jet a Dyno-jet?

Old 02-27-2002, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes sir. its a dynojet. I hope I can get the time to make the trip to T-Town and pull on that dyno! I'm also curiuos what My modded endcap will do. It may take me a couple weeks but as soon as I do I will let everyone know.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 02-28-2002, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

that dyno of 41hps sounds about right. i live in omaha ne & when i installed my bills pipe and pro flow intake, my raptor dynoed out at 41.8hps

Old 02-28-2002, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

<< that dyno of 41hps sounds about right. i live in omaha ne &amp; when i installed my bills pipe and pro flow intake, my raptor dynoed out at 41.8hps >>

<< Text >>

. i just dropped my machine at the local shop to have my heads ported, titanium valve springs installed, thier gonna bump my compression (wiesco 11-1), install a cam (web- mid to high), install hison clutch basket,install a ct sonic exhaust ( im not happy with my existing bills pipe),and under cut my transmission.their gonna have my machine for about three weeks! i'm really excited about seeing my dyno results when its all said and done. they've done one other raptor like this and it turned 60.1hps on the dyno.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

velocityraptor, were those numbers from an atv or automotive dyno?

Old 02-28-2002, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

let's talk about the fuel octane. this octane topic is all over this site but it's never been nailed down that i know of. i e-mailed VP and i have not heard anything yet. what fuel should be run with a set up like mine? i already know vp green slows me down. octane's too high i believe. if anyone knows let's finally let the cat out of the bag.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

All runing a higher octane than is needed to prevent knocking is going to do is cause carbon buildup &amp; waste money. Race fuel is $4.50 a gal for 101 &amp; goes up higher from there.

My VW race car has 10.5/1 compression &amp; uses Union 76 101. It has 69mm stroke &amp; 92mm bore with a 8000 rpm red line. I would think with 11.5/1 you wouldn't want to use more than 104.

What is the octane ratings of VP fuels?

Quick Reply: Real world Raptor dyno test results