Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor720 v. Sparks690

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truckracer: Tomorow is a test & tune. Racing starts March 9th then the 2nd Saturday of the month thru November. I'll be there about 10. I expect anywhere from 50 to 75 quads mabey more mabey less I know some people are still working on thier quads & may not make it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] on a regular race weekend there are usually 100+ quads. If you come down look me up I'll be pitting with my friend in a red trailer with a black VW dragster. See Ya!

Old 02-23-2002, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not going to get into it with one particular member again, but I do want to clear one thing up.

As far as mopping up on the DS boys at Dumont over Presidents day weekend, this person seems miss informed. Of the 2 Curtis Sparks 690's there, one was an equal match, and the one with "a little more cam and a little more carb"[this is a direct quote from Mr. Sparks himself] was about 2 bikes faster than my base level 760. A 760 with "a little more cam and a little more carb" is about 10-12 bikes faster than mine.

If I get myself on a good diet[currently 230-240lbs] and got some better paddles[currently running Scat-Trac Edge's], I think that 2 bike lead would disapear. I give them credit, they are fast, but when someone has never seen a 760 of any type run[first hand, that is] he should try to refrain from statements like "any DS-760".

I won't get into the senceless battle again, I'll simply speak the facts and let it rest at that.

Old 02-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Atoka? Where is it? What type of races? Is there a website with info?

Old 02-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

King~

<< The Curtis Sparks built 690 BEAT every other Raptor, Bombardier and Cannondale in attendance at Dumont, period.....If I had the correct fuel. If my bike had the new intake. If your aunt had ***** she would be your uncle.............. >>

Well put man...

SilverBear

Old 02-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lets start talking about REAL HP gain!!!

There are 660cc Raptors and 650cc DS650s out there running Nitrous and Turbos at 2X to 3X stock HP. I've seen videos of non-NOS and non-Turbo modified Raptors and DSD650s and it is quite boring to say the least.

Come on people lets start making some serious power, OK?

I've run my DS against 180RWHP turbo banshees, now there is some major power.

Sorry, I just don't seee how people can be happy with only 20HP gain when most street bikes are over 100HP.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby, The HP your refering to Cost Mucho $$$$,and to boot its not reliable. I for one cannot see spending 20G's on a bike to only take it out 3 or 4 times a year,and maybe it will run right. I would be tickled PINK if my DS had 70+ HP.
Don't get me wrong I love to see guy's like you spend the money to have something Extreme, and I'm always in AW of the spectical. But for an average guy 70 HP is a TON-a-FUN.

P.S. I've also run my bike up agianst a TURBO BANSHEE, and I got smoked! just like I'm sure you did.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Biggerisbetter.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

But Knutz, to be fair, you are comparing a VERY highly modified DS to yours if you are referring to JeffinRivercity's bike. He cut his frame to fit carbs, put NOS on and has compression in the high 12's and pretty much everything in that engine has been updated. He has a website that lists what he did and it is unreal. Those are radical changes and much more than &quot;a little more cam and a little more carb&quot;. That cant fairly be compared to a 690 raptor IMO.

On the flip side, if you have any videos of your races, I would like to put em up on a website for you. Me and Sandgod are putting one together. It is ready as soon as you are. BTW, I am not bashing your work, you have a kick butt package and I would give my right n*t to take Jeff in Rivercity's bike for a ride. That thing must be awesome. Next years race should be unbelievable. Sparks wont be bringing a 690 that is for sure. They are talking alcohol and big bore.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

That is crazy. Are there any banshees that can beat you with that setup? If there are, that sucks to spend that kind of money and still lose.

Old 02-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

20 grand give me a break. You can build a turbo or NOS for much cheaper than a PAMI kit and blow it away.

I DID NOT GET BLOWN AWAY BY THE TURBO BANSHEE IN DECEMBER, BEAT BY PLENTY OF MARGIN, BUT NOT BLOWN AWAY.

A turbo banshee can be beaten.

Knutz/PAMI refused to build my motor and refused to sell me parts, so there won't be a 170RWHP DS, but it can be done.

Old 02-24-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

<< But Knutz, to be fair, you are comparing a VERY highly modified DS to yours if you are referring to JeffinRivercity's bike. He cut his frame to fit carbs, put NOS on and has compression in the high 12's and pretty much everything in that engine has been updated. He has a website that lists what he did and it is unreal. Those are radical changes and much more than &quot;a little more cam and a little more carb&quot;. That cant fairly be compared to a 690 raptor IMO. >>

I know exactly what is done to Jeff's bike as aposed to mine, as I built it. Jeff is running 12:1 compression, same as I.

Jeff set up the dual carbs himself, and that is far and away the best thing he could have done, his power gain from that alone was unbelievable.

When Jeff walks on me by 10-12 bikes, it's without the nitrous. I haven't raced him with the bottle yet.

Aside from the dual carbs, and the cams [with matching head work], we do have the same motor. Just because it required modifiying the frame to fit the dual carbs, it should not be considered any more radical motor than swapping to larger dual carbs on the Raptor. Jeff was just talented enough to make it fit. I give Jeff the same credit that Curtis gives Lyle. He makes my stuff run[and look] great. And it's done on 95 octain fuel, for ALOT less money than someone has into a &quot;high-tech&quot; bike. A great deal less!

Quick Reply: Raptor720 v. Sparks690