Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Quiet Exhaust for Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 2002 Raptor today and after i finish the break-in I want to get an exhaust system and get a better filter and do the jetting. I am looking for a fairly quiet exhaust but i still want it to make power! What suggestions do you have? And what is the best air filter set-up? I ride in alot of dust so I want to avoid K&N filters. Should I modify the stock air box, or leave it as is?? Thank you in advance for your help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2002, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Probly the FMF quiet muffler would be your best (bet I think).
I hear it give pritty good power and is one of the quieter ones.
Later
Mud

Old 03-05-2002, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Big Gun slip on and it was extremely loud. I added the quiet core and now it's louder than stock but much much quieter than any other aftermarket silencer I have heard on the Raptor. To be fair, I havent heard any other quiet series for the Raptor. As for a power increase, I dont know if it did anything. I am planning to have the quad dyno'ed to dial in the jetting and I'll post my results in the next few weeks. As far as airbox mods, I added the pro flow with K&N and outerwear and cut the baffles from the snorkel. Whether you go with the K&N or foam filter is up to you but I'd definitely get the proflo adapter. I actually prefer foam filters but wanted to let the raptor breathe as freely as possible. I may try some runs on the dyno without the lid if I can.

Old 03-05-2002, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

The Curtis Sparks pipe with the spark arrestor in place is quite!

Old 03-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

More quiet than what?

Old 03-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Idling its no louder than stock. Of course under power it is louder than stock, but not overly loud. Much quiter than the DMC!

Old 03-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

As a person leaving the two wheeled world and entering the fourwheeled arena, I have a lot to learn yet. I too am of the age that I like quiet. I like power, but I want the bike to be quiet. I pick up my new Raptor for my 43rd birthday May 3, and am looking to do the aircleaner, jets and pipe thing, but most of the pipes I have heard at Glamis are too loud for me. For instance, My Harleys, never are staight piped, always have mufflers, Supertrapp, and thunderheaders are great, good sound, but not too loud with good power. Given that, is the Sparks system a pipe-muffler combo, or just the muffler? Will the muffler, with stock head pipe, along with aircleaner and jets, be a good combo? I plan on leaving the engine stock, to be able to withstand summer temps here in Phoenix, and still be able to play all day. It seems amazing to me that yamaha has choked the raptor engine as bad as they apparently have. In 42 years I dont believe I have ever seen a machine that would respond so well to something as simple as a pipe(or muffler), jets, and aircleaner. That is if the magazines are to be believed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks,
Ron

Old 03-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the Yoshi. pipe. In the shootout, it had the lowest db reading (102 I think). All looking at the power curve, seemed to be very nice and linear.

Old 03-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have HMF quiet core slip-ons with spark arrestors for both my DS and my son's Raptor. I too can not stand open pipes or even slip-ons. The HMF quiet core slip-on works better on the Raptor than the DS. It is louder than stock, but not much. The quiet core insert is just a pipe with holes in it. I modified the one on my DS because it was too restrictive, I replaced the short pipe with holes for a longer one with slots, that opened it up and let the DS breathe better.
....But it worked just fine on the Raptor, and it is quieter on the Raptor than the DS. Power gains were impressive, but never one to leave well enough alone, and since the tailpiece end cores were interchangable I tried it on the Raptor. No big difference in noise or power on the Raptor.
.....SO I would reccomend it for the Raptor but not the DS, unless you are willing to take a torch to it, it's not that great for the DS. But it does save weight, and looks great, fit and finish are excellent, and it is a bunch cheaper than anything else. I'm happy with it on my DS, but only after modifying it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Sparks pipe I have is a full pipe, but I do believe that they offer a slip-on. I know that there are many people that swear by the slip-on's and those that like to see full pipe. I myself have only ever had the full pipe DMC Alien and the Sparks. I love a loud pipe, but since land owners are cracking down on noise, it probably won't be long that everything has to be silenced except on the race track. Here are some pics of the Sparks pipe.

Sparks-Head-Pipe
Sparks-Muffler-W/out-Supertrapp
Sparks-Muffler-W/Supertrapp

Quick Reply: Best Quiet Exhaust for Raptor???