Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly/Kodiac Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd sure appreciate it if those of you who know more than I do about four wheelers would give me your opinions -

I'm going to buy two 4x4 four wheelers, one for me and one for my wife - I've pretty much settled on the Yamaha Grizzly and Kodiac models over the Honda Rubicon and Rancher ES - my number one concern is reliablilty, followed by suspension quality (bad back)and versatility. We live (and will be riding) in dry, rough, rocky, steep canyon high desert country - not much mud/water etc. We'll be using the machines for general riding and hunting/fishing, very little high speed trail/mx stuff.

I'm pretty sure the Kodiac is the right machine for my wife, but I'm wavering on the Grizzly for me - the extra cost isn't an issue, but the higher center of gravity and some concerns about the possible sidehill tipping tendency of the independent suspension (heard this from a dealer) on the Grizzly are giving me some second thoughts. I like the idea of the big motor (old muscle car guy) and the diff lock, but not at the expense of the comparatively untested reliability (compared to the Kodiac) of the new Grizzly and the aforementioned suspension concerns - which might be entirely unfounded, that's why I'm asking.

Is there anything - practically speaking - I can do with the Grizzly that I can't do with the Kodiac? All other things being equal - primarily the reliability and stability factors - I admit I'm a sucker for the high lift looks and the big motor, but if the Kodiac will do a better job for my specific purposes then that's the way I'll go.

Thanks in advance for your input, I can sure use some advice from the experts -

Rob

Old 03-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

I also have a bad back (pars defect), ride in a lot of sand, and ride through some limestone rocked ditches. The kodiak has performed beautifully. I have also ridden my friends dads griz, and it is just like a bigger kodiak to me. Lots more power and a smoother ride. I bought my Kodiak from my friends dad and then he got the griz. He says he likes the griz a lot better. If money were no object, I would go with the griz.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

You'd better either get 2 Kodiaks or 2 Grizzlys. If you get one of each and let your wife ride the Grizz you'll never get her off it.

I was talking to a guy at the carwash just after the Grizz first came out. He had a brand new Grizz for him and a Kodiak for his wife. Said he made the mistake of letting the wife take the Grizz and she wouldn't give it back. Thought he might have to get another one. Ego aside the 400 is enough power to get you where you want to go, it's the suspension on the Grizz that makes the differance. My Grizz is still in the crate but I've spent some time on a Sportsman and like the IRS, but, like you say it's not without its trade-offs.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the Grizz if I were in your shoes too. If you do find that it's tippy you can get either offset wheels or wheel spacers and that problem will be solved.
The extra power of the Grizz will certainly allow it to do things that the Kodiak won't, though if you're new to the sport it would probably take you a while before you found teh Kodiaks limits. But with the Grizz you'll probably never find a hill that you've got the courage to try that it won't be able to do.

Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful responses - pure logic would indeed indicate that after 350cc I'm just paying for some extra ego and a bigger tallywhacker, but then what the heck - I'm 54 years old and virility comes in a different package now - plus I get to pick the color - how good can it get?

If you guys think the Grizz will prove to be as reliable as the Kodiac, and that the IRS/tippy issues can be dealt with by riding sensibly, then I figure I'll go with the Grizzly and buy the Kodiac for my wife.

I've been riding motorcycles and four wheelers for quite awhile so I'm not new to the sport, just making an investment that I anticipate will last for many years so I don't want to screw it up.

Again thanks for your help -

Rob

Old 03-06-2002, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I have a Y2K Kodiak and have beat the living @##$ out of it and it still performs perfectly. Had a minor problem with a leaky water pump, but that was fixed under warranty. The only statement I disagree with is about the sidehill issue with the Grizz. The independant rear will conform to the terrain better than a solid rear axle and be less tippy on side hills, to a degree. Of course the higher center of gravity will play a part in the equation. But I don't think the Grizz sits that much higher than the Kodiak. If you can afford 2 Grizz's I would go for it. The solid rear axle makes for a bouncey ride on rough terrain. It's just a matter of being able to put up with it verses being able to afford the Grizz.

Have Fun and wear a helmet, etc...

Old 03-06-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Frontier~

I bought myself an 02 Grizz and my wife an 02 Kodiak. Both quads ride excellent, and realiability has not been an issue. Obviously the Grizz will give a slightly better ride due to the IRS, but I have to say the Kodiak's ride is awesome. Over rough terrain, the IRS can't be beat. As for tippiness, I thought it may be a tad tippy in it's stock form and riding alot of off camber situations, steep hills, etc. Wider tires, offset rims, and chuck the anti sway bar, and you have yourself a quad that is very difficult to tip. The Grizz will go furthor then the Kodiak, ground clearance makes a huge difference there. I've been pleased with both machines, and don't regrett the purchase a bit. BTW...I tried getting a Grizz for my wife, but she didn't like the power, or the fact that you do sit up higher on the grizz compared to the Kodiak. She's one happy camper with her bear, as I am with mine.

SilverBear

Old 03-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again everybody, I'm having an awful time with this - afraid I'm making it more complicated than it should be. I think I can work through the tipping issues (thanks Silver Bear)- but the problems that seem to be pretty common to the Grizzly - front cv joint, vapor lock/gas boil and paint - and Yamaha's apparent lack of interest in addressing them - have me a little concerned. Spent some time on the Highlifter forum and I'm starting to lean back toward the (gasp) Rubicon over the Grizzly - simply because I've read quite a few threads on the Rubicon and there are almost no negative comments, certainly not the number that exist relating to the Grizzly (and these by Grizzly owners who otherwise seem to really like their machines). Still like the Kodiac for my wife however, just trying to make the right decision on the second machine - I know there are no guarantees of 100% reliability - after all these are mechanical devices - but I want the most reliable four wheelers I can buy, period -

Like I said however, maybe I'm making it too difficult - but I'm one of those people who has things go wrong with my stuff - from toasters to cars - that nobody else does - and not because I don't properly maintain my equipment, it just happens - Murphy is always near where I am. So I want as bulletproof as I can get and I really don't care what it costs, my purpose in buying a four wheeler is to use it and enjoy it - not work on it (other than preventive maintenance).

I'm not brand bashing here and not trying to start a war - frankly I'd prefer the Grizzly's bigger motor, IRS, 2wd/4wd and diff lock, even with the Rubicon's innovative transmission and the enviable - though admittedly short -reliability record - but the apparent problems have me a little spooked - maybe the answer is to wait for the '03's ???

Anyway, thanks much for the input - y'all have been very helpful as I try to figure out what the hell to do -

Rob

Old 03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Frontier~

Good luck on your decision. If I may add one more thing in regards to Yamaha. I have personally only had one issue with the Grizz and that was the front left axle. The dealer I purchased it from blew me off and Yamaha stood behind him (translation: I'm screwed).

The second dealer I found took care of it without so much as a question. Yamaha stood behind him too. So if Yamaha stood behind both dealers who treated the problem completely opposite of each other, it tells me for Yamaha's it really does come down to the dealer. If you don't have a Yamaha dealer that will take care of you after the sale, I wouldn't consider a Yamaha. Dealers know Yamaha will support their "call", so if you do go with Yamaha's make sure the dealer is up to snuff.

SilverBear

Old 03-07-2002, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting information and good advice - thanks.