Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak sputters and dies at high throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GWIZARD:
My buddy that rode it after I looped it had no problems with it for about 500yds with the throttle open. Then it started sputtering. Is that consistent with your spark plug theory. What could have possibly happened to the spark plug????

ScED: I haven't looked at it yet. I'll tinker with it a little bit tonight when I get home. I'll let you know if it has any effect. I kind of doubt that's the problem, though. I've moved the choke in and out while trying to get it to "come back to life". The choke cable seems to be working fine, unless its just way out of adjustment. And if it is, wouldn't that affect the idle too? It idles perfectly... What do you think?

Old 02-23-2000, 05:08 PM
wgr
Trailblazer

I think i would check for good fuel flow to carb,if not that pull the float bowl and check jets for plugging,or water contamination, also check air filter to make sure it did not get soaked with gas.

Old 02-23-2000, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

WGR:

Is fuel flow to the carb easy to check? I don't know how to do that. Can you explain or is it too complicated???? Also, I did check the air filter. It had a gasoline smell, but it wasn't wet so I don't think it got soaked.

Old 02-23-2000, 08:44 PM
wgr
Trailblazer

Fuel flow to the carb is easy to check,shut your fuel petcock off remove the fuel hose,from the carb use something to catch the gas in,then turn the petcock to the on position and observe the fuel flow. Remove your airfilter and see if the engine will rev.Do not drive the quad with out the filter in place.

Old 02-23-2000, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

"gently" tap the carburetor to make sure that your float didn't get stuck

Old 02-28-2000, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm still having this problem. I've tried the following:

I've checked the air filter it was ok. I've changed the spark plug...no change. I checked the fuel flow to the carb. It seemed ok. I've drained the float bowl. No garbage there. I've tried "gently" tapping the carb. That didn't work. The choke cable seems to be fine. Any other ideas???????

Old 02-28-2000, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have a Kodiak so can't offer specific advice, but I think at this point I'd get a can of starting fluid and spray a few short squirts around the carb area while idling. Any change in idle speed indicates an air leak someplace in the engine intake. If so, make sure the carb didn't come loose from the rubber mounting flange, or a hose leak if it has any or maybe even a gasket leak. You'll want to make sure you don't get the spray near the carb air intake or it will affect idling speed but is normal since you are changing the fuel/air mixture. You can accomplish the same thing using WD40 or other spray oil, but it is messier. Don't spray wet starting flluid all over the place because of the fire danger. It takes very little of either type vapors to affect the idle speed.

Old 02-28-2000, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

you can also use a mapp gas etc, to flood around your intake to check for leaks, check the foat level, this can be done without removing the carb., take a clear plastic hose and attach it to the drain screw on the bottom of the carb. open the drain screw, the level you see should be about where the carb. halfs meet.

Old 02-28-2000, 08:56 PM
wgr
Trailblazer

Did you damage any of the switches when it flipped

Old 03-01-2000, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I've tried just about all of them with no success. I finally took it in. It had some junk clogging up the jets in the carb. The tech said he's seen this before when they're new. The filter catches most of it, but if there's something in there when it's manufactured (in Maylasia) it will eventually work its way down through the jet and clog it up. It's working fine now, and at no charge (still under warranty). Thanks again for everyones suggestions.

Tucker