Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak vs Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be purchasing a new quad very soon. I have narrowed my selection down to the Kodiak, Wolverine, & 500 Scrambler. Most of the riding I will be doing is trail riding, log crawling, and mud busting. I like the idea of being able to go from 2 to 4wd. Does the Wolverine have much torque steer being 4wd all the time? Does anyone make a lock-out kit for it? I realize the Polaris should beat both the Yamahas in a drag race but by how much? I am also concerned with the reliability of the Polaris. Any reviews or personal insights on these 3 atv's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Final decision in Michigan

Old 02-22-2000, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

I am also going to be purchasing a new bike (still waiting on my tax return) and have decided to go with the wolverine.
Besides the killer looks (team yamaha blue) I like the simplicity of the machine. Yes, I realize that both the scrambler & kodiak's ability to go into 2wd would be a great benefit in sport riding (mainly the ability to kick the rear-end sideways) I guess I just see it as another potential problem area.
I also realize that the wolverine is the only air/oil cooled bike of your 3 choices, but I havent heard of anyone having overheating problems with it either. However, I have read on this post , numerous people having overheating problems with the polaris bikes (most seem to have been the result of muddy or snow-caked radiators)
The steering on the wolverine is very reasonable - much lighter than the honda full-time 4wd's (except the rancher - haven't ridden one yet, but I understand they are redesigned)

You need to consider how much and what kind of work (if any) that you may want to do with the bike. The kodiak has a dual range transmission that should take care of 95% of the chores out there, while the wolverine does have a low 1st gear it is not ultra-low like a big-bear, however I am banking that it will handle the work I throw at it (plowing snow, hauling firewood, etc..)
I don't believe that the scrambler has a low range which would hurt it's ability in the utility department.

You need to be honest with yourself on what you want from your atv.
I would say that the scrambler is by far the sportiest - the kodiak the most utilitarian - and the wolverine somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure you will have fun with whatever one you choose.

let us know what you decide on.

Old 02-26-2000, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

First off I would immediately narrow it down to 2. Polaris life expectancy until nickel and diming you to death is about 2 years. They have great features and run great when new but just don't hold up. ask any repair shop that doesn't sell them and they will tell you to stay away from polaris. I just purchased a 2000 kodiac and I think that you are really looking at 2 very different machines. auto trany vs shifting and the kodiac while very nimble is still quite utillity. I cant speak for the wolverine but I am sure it is very nice I can however speak for the kodiac and I will say GREAT all around machine. The ability to shift from 2 to 4 WD is a huge advantage. I certainly don't want to be driving around in the dead of summer in 4wd on my quad just as I wouldn't in my truck.
Well good luck with your pick. Think Yamaha.

Old 02-26-2000, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

You sound like you like speed and sport riding so stay away from the Kodiac it is a pure utility bike with a 50mph top end. The wolverine is sporter and a air cooled motor but has a oil cooler to help it out and it does 60 mph.The polaris is the sportiest and has true 4wd and does 65mph.

Old 02-27-2000, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Key words "mud busting" the concentric chain on the 500 scrambler could posse some maintenance issues. I ride with a friend who owns a wolverine an loves it. I've logged some time on it and haven't found the torque steer to be a problem,seeing as how light it is. For what it is the kodiak is good machine, but it is in its first year production run. If the chain doesn't bother you take a look at the 400 scrambler, it lighter and I here faster than the 500.
Good Luck & Happy Ridin

Old 02-27-2000, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 500 scrambler ive had it for a year.I have not spent a dime on it. You need to ride all three of the quads. The scrambler is much faster than the two yamahas. Plus you get true 4x4 not 3x3.

Old 02-27-2000, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard that polaris bikes are a maintenace problem when they get older, don't really know if its true. If your more in to sport riding I would delete the Kodiak. I have a wolverine, it hasn't givin me any problems, then the ones I create. It's fast enough for me. I've raced it on a MX track a couple of times I got second the first time I ever raced. Of corse there were only three in my class (300ex 1st, wolv 2nd, worrior 3rd).
The wolverine is an all around bike. I can't speak for the Scrambler, personal I don't like automatics. But its all on your preffernce. What ever you pick your sure to have fun.

Old 02-27-2000, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

My wolverine can go over logs, rocks and mud easily. the scrambler would be a poor choice for this do to the chain. they do make a locker kit for it also a lift kit.
the wolverine is the easiest 4- wheeler to steer. I have riden through the woods one handed with eas. If i were you i would buy a wolverine it also recently was went head to head with the rancher and smoked it. if you love to ride aggesively through the trails than wolverine is your machine

Old 02-27-2000, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

If you want a fast midrange and the ability to bust mud with the TRUE four wheel drive go with the scrambler. The Wolverine and Kodiak are good quads, but you seem like the type who would like to push the little red All Wheel Drive button and kick the *** end out. Four a four stroke the scrambler has nuts. note: If you are going to do utility stuff then the scrambler is not for you.

Old 02-29-2000, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

I cannot add much to what has been said,
so this is just a confirmation post.

The Kodiak is a capable Quad, in both the
Sport and Utility worlds, but biased toward
utility in the overall picture.

The Wolverine is by mine and some other accounts
the true definition of Sport Utility.

The Scrambler, the Paragon of high performance
4X4 4-Strokes.

My advice would be to round up a(some) Friend(s),
then go to each respective Dealer(if you can find
one that sells both, and is cooperative so much
the better) and try each out for yourself.

Good Luck
Y2K

Quick Reply: Kodiak vs Wolverine vs 500 Scrambler