Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YZ450F Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jugg, Yamaha's got the 426. Honda's is the 450. I have seen a bored 426(440) at a track once. In 3 words.. Oh my Gawd. That thing was crazy. I highly doubt the 660 motor could produce like that once. The 426 revs like a rocket. The Raptor is more like a .22

Old 03-17-2002, 05:34 PM
The Facility

How do you figure the Raptor as being a pot of gold for Yamaha??

I saw the sales figures for last year's sales and the Blaster was their #1 selling sport machine [The Warrior was second, and then the Raptor and Banshee]

Old 03-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

also the 660 has waaaaay more potential than the 450. HUH???

Old 03-17-2002, 06:16 PM
The Facility

The compact fourstoke engine design is where the advantage would come in. Not to mention the weight savings over the Raptor engine.

I don't think Yamaha should do away with the Raptor though. It might not work well for everyone in every riding situation, but it does have it's place in the market. Besides, the rider plays a more important role in the way a machine performs than the quad does.
How else would you explain a 250X whipping up on the Raptors two weeks ago at a hare scramble event I attended two weeks ago??

Old 03-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

A 450 will not touch a modded Raptor. The 660 has potential to hit 80HP easy. Let see you get close to that with the 426 or 450

Old 03-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

HP isn't everything.

Old 03-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< A 450 will not touch a modded Raptor. The 660 has potential to hit 80HP easy. Let see you get close to that with the 426 or 450 >>

Are you measuring from the crank or rear wheel???I'd love to see some DATA on that or specs on how to do that.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:08 PM
The Facility

I say, It would be great if they added a &quot;Drag Race&quot; forum to this site.

Bench racing is one thing, but trying to say that your's is faster than everyone else's is a bit lame when talking about ATV riding in general.

Bring your 80HP+ quad out to a cross country event. LOL

I think all these type posts belong in the dune section until there is a site dedicated to &quot;boasting&quot;

I agree with you 100% lonestarbanshee, HP isn't everything.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< I say, It would be great if they added a &quot;Drag Race&quot; forum to this site.

Bench racing is one thing, but trying to say that your's is faster than everyone else's is a bit lame when talking about ATV riding in general.

Bring your 80HP+ quad out to a cross country event. LOL

I think all these type posts belong in the dune section until there is a site dedicated to &quot;boasting&quot;

I agree with you 100% lonestarbanshee, HP isn't everything.
>>

Yeah,but I get the biggest kick out of reading ignorant post.Most people get these&quot;dyno charts&quot;out of some magazine and beleive them as if it was the word of God.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:48 PM
The Facility

An even bigger kick is to go through the magazines and realize that the Honda 300EX has lost 1 horsepower every year.LOL...Sooner or later, you will be able to outrun one on your lawnmower.

The dyno's to really pay attention to are the one's where they do a shootout between exhaust systems. Only then will they put up the real numbers so it looks good when they add an exhaust system to it. But even then, usually the pipe winner will be the one who dynoed the machine.

One magazine in particular is currently being blasted from the entire motorsports industry for some comments made about three months ago regarding the &quot;Anne Hulings&quot; story. You guys know what I'm talking about. They stated that the votes were stacked up against her and that only one person supported her. What they didn't mention was the fact that they received over 3,000 e-mails from dealers, 2 official letters from 2 OEM's threatening to pull all of their ads from the magazine, and 1 letter from an OEM threatening to pull all their ads from every magazine owned by the publishing company. E-mails have been going back and forth between dealers about this for about two months now, and this is how I got this information. The &quot;magazine&quot; will be issuing a public apology to the public in it's next issue. They have to eat their own words now.

Quick Reply: YZ450F Raptor?