Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does The Perfect Quad Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched 2 Raptors roll today what seemed to be from having too much power. I got a chance to drive one and it seems the stock gearing is too high. It feels like your always in the throttle and when you hit it too hard doing hillclimbs, you end up flipping. Also, it seems that they could benefit alot from sitting lower and a six speed gear box.

The 400EX has the weight/power combination worked out almost perfectly. But the lack of a reverse gear is unbelievable unless you race and never trail ride.

The Banshee also has the perfect weight/power ratio. But, no oil injection and no electric start make it a nuisance to drive alot.

The DS650, finally saw one today but never rode one. I would think it would be similar to the Raptor.

The Canibal does just about everything right, but the price is way out of line unless your a sponsored racer.

The Warrior is grat, but could use more power.

I personally have a Wolverine an like it alot. But it's a little heavy and doesn't have near enough power.

My dream quad - a 450 that weighs 450 pounds and is 4x4 all for an MSRP of $5500. The tachnology is there, why can't someone build it? It's fun to dream!

Old 03-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

First the Cannibal is only $500 more than a Raptor MSRP. Second, there can never be a "perfect quad" for everyone, because everyone has different opinons on what they like/dislike. But since we're playing the perfect quad game, I guess the closest thing to it for me are the Cannondales. Next would have to be the Banshee because it's a two stroke. If someone offered a "perfect quad" it would be an aluminum framed, fuel injected, ZPS type suspension, two stroke 265 that came with another 500 cylinder than can be bolted on if you wanted to run both the 250 and open classes.

Old 03-17-2002, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have a DS and my son has a Raptor. They are nothing alike. The DS is big, wide, long, beefy, powerful, but a little heavy. The Raptor is light, and a little bit squirrly sometimes. Sometimes it wants to push in the corners, other times it slides just fine. It's not my ride so maybe I just don't know the fine points of riding it. The gearing is kind of awkward too, first is pretty high and the jump to second is a bit much. The DS tranny is very smooth, with no weird gaps, and no problems.
....The DS has its faults, like about any quad, most of which can be fixed with aftermarket stuff. The Raptor needs a wider rear axle, the DS needs upper a-arms to cure it's lack of caster, which results in twitchy steering at speed and as weird as this sounds, in SAND.
....They both need better front shocks, and the DS benefits greatly from a new CDI without a rev limiter. This engine loves to rev, Double Overhead Cams, especially with some kind of pipe, and the limiter kicks in way too early, spoiling the fun. It all costs money, but we have modded both our DS and Raptor, and Though my son vastly prefers his Raptor over my DS, I like my DS way better than his Raptor. It's nice things worked out like they did huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

The perfect quad, the Honda TRX-250R. Just ask the guys from Gilbert, AZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Cannondale moto440

Or raptor, the raptor has all the features of a sport quad, except for the "narrow powerband" and tippy, 43" wide, its not exactly THE perfect sport quad, but what defines a sport quad? Handling, suspention and power!
THATS WHY WE ALL SHOULD BUY CANNONDALES!

Old 03-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

the perfect quad is called a HONDA TRX250R. (enough said)

Old 03-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Range Rover

you say the perfect quad is a 4x4, not in my opinion, thats why there is no perfect quad.

Old 03-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Tim Farr is sitting on the perfect quad. And so is Kory Ellis.

Old 03-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Matt, I'm with you. I'd love for some one to build an affordable 450 liquid cooled 4x4 that weighed in at 450lbs or less.

Can't decide if I'd rather have it automatic or manual though, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I guess you could always take a Wolverine or a Kodiak, bore and stroke it, put some better shocks on it, and put it on a serious diet.

Actually I keep hoping that Honda will do to the 400EX what Yamaha did with the Warrior, but Honda seems stuck on the idea that a 4x4 has to be underpowered, so I guess that will never happen.

Old 03-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

<< The perfect quad, the Honda TRX-250R. Just ask the guys from Gilbert, AZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

Gees, mintychip, you're harsh!

Actually, the perfect quad is a Banshee, just ask mintychip. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In all seriousness there is no perfect quad. Maybe you could say the perfect SPORT, HIGH-PERFORMANCE or UTILITY quad to narrow it down.

For me the perfect HIGH-PERFORMANCE quad would be a Banshee, with about 500CC and a cooling fan and about 2 more inches of suspension travel. OR... Maybe a lighter version of DS650 with reverse, 6 speed and about 50 HP and a seat height that is about 2 inches lower.

Hmm, I guess there REALLY is no PERFECT quad. The closest thing to perection today is probably the Cannondales.

Quick Reply: Does The Perfect Quad Exist?