Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best modds to the 2002 grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4X4mudslinger~

Why thank you, that's quite a compliment. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I didn't get the headers, as I've been told in order to notice improvement with them, you really ought to do the piston, porting, etc. Later on, I'll add Four Stroke Tech's 686 Kit on the Grizzly...when I do that, I will add the headers. So, for the HMF, I bought the slip on, and I also bought the quiet core. I like it better w/o the quiet core.

It is a LOT louder then stock. As I mentioned to mich, if you like a quiet quad, don't do it...because it's very loud. Not so much just idling, although you'll notice the deep tenor to it, and a little louder, but when you get on it, it's growl is quite impressive. Installation was a breeze. You'll spend more time taking your stock stuff off the grizz then you will putting this on.

K&N. I was at first, but had a very good guy who's helped me tremendously, goes by the handle of tcat1000, and he pointed out a simple fact. If you mod your airbox, you loose, what, 3-4 inches of water play. For the amount of power to be gained, I thought it worth it. I did, though, put a water repellent outerwears over the K&N. On the airbox modification, I put four 2 1/2" holes in the top. I am also going to trim the top part of the snorkle down. It's not doing anything now with the holes in the lid, and will open it up a little more, and perhaps prevent a steam induced sputtering incident. I've not had one of those, but what the heck, right?

DynoJet Kit. No, that's the one part I didn't do. I wish I knew more, and have had alot of good folks offer to help and they've also given me great info. I just prefer to have somebody who knows jetting be there with me when I do it myself for the first time. I took it to my dealer, they installed the jet kit, and put it on a gas analyizer.

The improvement? Far better low end and mid range pull. I can't say for sure because I haven't had a lot of seat time sense last weekend when I finished this up, but I think I more than gained back what I lost when I went with the 27" tires. Throttle response? Unbelievable. I'm not a wheely guy, but I can tell you with a tug on the bars, you will bring your front end up in high range. I haven't tried it in low range, but can already tell that it will be a piece of cake. Plan on checking that out this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

This bear has been a blast for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 03-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

-2002grizz660-
This mod sounds interesting. How much does it increase the power by? Is it risky and can you mess it up easily? I don't have a welder but can take it over to my friends house. Do you use stainless, or what kind of stock for the pipe ? any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Stevexplr~

No. That's a separate bypass. It's a piece of cake to bypass the 22mph limiter on the front locker. Only thing is, when you do, you will also loose the 3mph engaging limiter on the locker, so I put an inline switch, and engage the front locker normally, then while locked, if for some reason I need more wheel speed, I'll flip the switch. You might also mention that with just the reverse override, and no front locker override, if you are locked in, and overriding your reverse (say you're stuck and trying to back out) that front locker 22mph limiter will kick in. So, I'd do both If I were your buddy. Just tell him its the white wire coming from the speed sensor to the bottom of the CDI box. Put an inline switch there and he'll have a 22mph overide.

SilverBear

Old 03-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Silver bear, where do you buy these switches you keep talkin about, can you just get them at you neighbor hood radio shack. When i do go into the store what do i ask them for, my guess is they won't know what a 4 wheeler bypass switch is.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Silverbear, you have an awsome looking quad! Seems like you have more snow your way than we've got here in Northern Maine. I've always enjoyed looking at other people's quads, especially lifted and monster tires. I'v decided to leave my Grizzly stock with few mods that make it easier for my spouse and I to ride together. Does the aftermarket pipe make your Grizzly run cooler? My factory pipe get extremely hot. Does the extra load of the tires make your quad run hotter? I was wondering, if you place your Grizzly in neutral and pull on the left side CV joint next to the diff does it pull out 1-2 inches. My dealer informed me that all 2002 grizzly's do this and to continue riding it. I was just wondering if anybody else's does this as well.

Thanks, philmacrackin

Old 03-21-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Lsnake~

The switches are just standard automotive rocker switches. What makes them a "bypass" switch is becuase I use them to bypass the built in limiters on the Grizzly.

Philmacrackin~

Thanks for the compliments. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I also enjoy looking at other's quads. I do believe the aftermarket pipe will let it run cooler. The HMF is a straight shot, no baffles like you'll find on the stocker. If you look at a cut away on the stock muffler you'll see that it's fairly well restricted. I don't feel that the big wheel set makes the grizz run any hotter, it just took some of the snap away on the accelation. The last mods seem to have given that back to me and more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] On the left front axle, mine used to do that, until the dealer fixed it under warrenty. The dealer I bought my grizzly from also told me the same thing, and in a fit I called Yamaha and complained, because it's not right. I found another dealer, who is awesome, and he fixed it under warrenty, no problem! Find another dealer man, you're getting horsed around.

SilverBear

Old 03-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

hey padzz,
the tires are titan 589/mt. there set on itp alunimum rims. i bought them in a package at www.highlifter.com the hole thing came shipped to my house in 5 days for $650.00 the rims are set from itp, and I was told the offset is necissary. i beleave it, couse there 26 in. and i dont think 27 would have fit.
silverbear, your my hero!!! lmao!the hell with the dealerships, i need to send mine to you!!!lol. i am soo worried bout modifying my airbox, couse there is just sooo much water out there to concour!i was even thinking bout snorkling mine, heehee. the pipe sounds good though, but i need it quiet, couse alot of the places i go, they will not let you ride if it is too loud, and i have seen more than 1 2 stroke turned away!!! i need to get some ***** under me and just run the bypasses like i saw on your diagram on your sight. i think i just might go with a pipe, and maybe a kand n filter. i know with the filter, i have to start cutting on the box, but i love wheelies, and the power i will regain couse of the tires will be worth it!
what bout jets? i have jetted my warrior, and what a differance!!! i wonder what size jet and needle it would take? will it be as hard or easy as the warrior?
i know for bout 4 or 5 hundred dollars, i can get the pipe, k and n and jet kit. then, its all air, heehee!!!my pictures

Old 03-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

~Sliverbear~

I dont know much about the quietcores. I'm assuming that they make it quieter. Does it make a big difference in loudness\performance? Why is it that you like it better w/o it? Thanks for all the info.

Scott

Old 03-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Mich660~

<LOL> Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

If you want a quiet pipe, I've heard Supertrap has one out, or is coming out with one that is supposedly quiet and a nice power add on mod. As far as jetting goes...I'm the last person to ask. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I had the dealer do it because I've never done it, and didn't want to screw up the grizzly then be down. I had planned on doing it myself, then taking it to the dealer to check, but all the parts came in the day before my set appointment with the dealer. I got everything done but the jetting, and said screw it...took it up to them. I'm around 3500 feet, and I know that I'm running the DJ160 main jet. As for modding the airbox with the K&N, you don't have to put any holes in it. I've just read and been told several times that the Grizzly is starved, and if you feed it, it will surprise you with the gain. Same story with the Raptor, so that's why I modded the airbox. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 03-22-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

4X4mudslinger~

The quiet core does cut the sound by quite a bit. I think it also takes a tad of the performance away too. It stands to reason, you're restricting it with the quiet core. That's why I like it better w/o the quiet core...for the better performance, not the increased sound. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Quick Reply: best modds to the 2002 grizzly?