Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Canadians Buying Products from the US ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought any aftermarket parts from the US ? How much duty did you end up paying on something like an axle or A-arms ? I was told if the product was produced in the US it is duty free. Any one with this type of information ?

Old 03-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

The importing is a real pain.

If you buy something at $300 US, you are talking roughly $450-$475 CDN. You pay their state tax (unless it is bought on the internet). Then you pay shipping to the Canadian border. Then you pay a brokerage fee with UPS (could be from $30-$50). Then an administrative fee (I think it is around $30-$40). Then you pay PST (in Alberta that's better than here).

In a rough guestimate, you should factor in double the $US number in $CDN. If it is $300 US, don't be surprised if it gets delivered and you spend close to $600.

Yup. So much for free trade......

RM

Old 03-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

that sucks, what did happen to free trade? you guys/gals are our neighbors you shouldnt have to go through all that crap. leave it to the politicians to tax and tarif everything

Old 03-18-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

What really 'steamed my clams' was the duties were lifted for 1 year. Then the provincial governments decided they wanted to apply sales tax to anything imported to that province. So yah, in Ontario, we got the benefit of free trade for a year, then we get nailed with 7% tax on top. How many times do you pay tax on one thing? Sheesh!

RM

Old 03-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

<< What really 'steamed my clams' was the duties were lifted for 1 year. Then the provincial governments decided they wanted to apply sales tax to anything imported to that province. So yah, in Ontario, we got the benefit of free trade for a year, then we get nailed with 7% tax on top. How many times do you pay tax on one thing? Sheesh!

RM
>>

I'd love to get my parts &amp; accesories across the border in USA. They seem to have everything you need...when you need it, the only thing though, by the time it gets to me it's almost doubled in price. No thanks to the provincial sales tax here in NB...15%HST (Harmonized Sales Tax). Free Trade was the biggest farce put on the people of Canada since politics began. It was supposed to bring Canada &amp; the USA down to a fairer playing field in the trade world. But it was also supposed to help the consumer in the USA &amp; Canada...but it only helps the big conglomerates make more money. The Canadian consumers had the wool pulled over their eyes big time on this one. And it's still continuing through the present government. We have a prime minister who can't speak a lik of proper english &amp; still speaks out the side of his face ...in more ways than one. And what do we do?...Vote him right back in again...go figure. We always seem to learn when it's too late....
Well glad I got that off my chest....whew!
....L8tr....kodiac....

Old 03-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

try this...next time you guys come down to visit a &quot;friend, bring your quad. then buy the parts in question, those parts are now the spares you took with you right?!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

try this...next time you guys come down to visit a &quot;friend, bring your quad. then buy the parts in question, those parts are now the spares you took with you right?!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

When you buy something from across the border get them to ship to you by UPS. After you have made you purchase get a tracking # from them for the UPS shipment. Now call UPS and tell them to hold the shipment at customs so you can do a self-broker. When your shipment comes in UPS will call you. You will have to go to the nearest customs office to pay the tax, this will release the shipment from UPS and you can go pick it up or they will deliver it to you. Now there will be no broker fees and no admin charges. This can save you about $40. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's not perfect but you will get what you want and still save some $$$

Old 03-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Radman....will do.
L8tr kodiacnb...

Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

If you have stuff shipped via U.S. Postal, sometimes you can avoid the duties, and there will be no brokerage fees.

Quick Reply: Canadians Buying Products from the US ?