Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CLEANING AIR FILTER/FILTER BOX?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE A 2001 RAPTOR WHERE THE AIR FILTER IS VERY DIRTY AND FEELS LIKE THERE IS MUDDY WATER ON IT.iT ISNT THAT MUCH BUT THE FILTER IS A LITTLE DAMP.HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THIS? ALSO,HOW DO YOU CLEAN THE AIR FILTER BOX ALSO...ANY OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS ON A RAPTOR TO CLEAN OFTEN OR CHANGE???? THANKS

Old 03-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Cheap method - clean with Dawn dish liquid and warm water. Squeeze out the excess water with an old towel and then let the filter air dry for at least a day. If the filter isn't completely dry when you oil it, you will end up with spots with no oil. This is because oil and water don't mix. When the water does finally evaporate, there won't be any oil there to protect your engine from dust.

The best thing is to own about 3 filters. You can always keep one ready to go in a plastic bag.

/NotuRaptor

Old 03-25-2002, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I clean my foam filters twice with 100% mineral spirits, then a final wash with dishsoap and warm water. Let it dry completely, then throw it in a large ziplock bag, spray liberally with PJ1 foam filter oil, and mush it around inside the bag, adding more oil as needed.

I then let it dry completely, and store it in another bag. I keep 2 K&N filters, and 2 Uni-Filters (for dusty days) ready to go at all times.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Grandfather I would generally keep 2 or 3 ready just in case But (( 4 )) you are ahead of the game..Does the 100% mineral spirts work pretty good as well as being cheaper..thx Digger

Old 03-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Use a good foam filter cleaner, spray on type. PJ1, Uni. etc. Let it soak in the cleaner for a few minutes or so. Then from the inside of the filter outword rinse with water. Repeat procedure until all dirt is gone. Gently squeeze out water. Let dry completly. Then oil the filter with foam treatment spray on type. The bag method previously stated works fine. Then reinstall. To clean the air box. Loosen the boots attached to the air box. I also clipped the tips of the **** (lack of better word) that protrude into the retaining holes and then remove mounting bolts and pull back a little on the air box and lift up. Clipping the **** will allow you to remove the air box with out loosening or removing the rear fender. Other items to clean and change are: Clean and lubricate the chain after each ride. Change the engine oil and filter periodicaly as well. Grease all zirk fittings every now and again. Show it a little love and thank God for allowing you to own one of the best quads around. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

yup. i own several filters myself in zip locks.

Has anyone tried No-toil. someone on the forum recommended using it. i've ordered the aresol and the cleaner through Rocky Mountain. it ran me $7 for the oil / $5 for the cleaner. it's supposed to be bio-degradable and not leave an oily residue.

They claim its water proof, super sticky and dyno tested against other oils with 2 hp gain over other brands (yeah Right)

i have not tried it yet. i'm a little hesitant to stop using what works for me already. But, i was told clean up is cake.

anyone have experience with this stuff?