Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Poor running Raptor? Really Perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Yamaha service manual. The valve adjustment steps start on page 3-8. After removing all the plastics (front) Tank etc you remove the valve covers. Crankshaft end accessing screw, timing mark accessing screw. Line up the marks and check the valves etc with feeler guage. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

Kodiak2k and the other reply, forgot the screen name, sorry. That was going to be my next question. I pulled the tappets off the other day and checked out the intakes. But it was the end of the day and didn't have much time. So I've got everything off. Just need some time. I don't have anytime till Saturday. Will get into it then and check things out. Once again to everyone who has responded, thank you. You guys are what make the sport cool.

derek

Old 04-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

good for you !!!
Your diagnosis is right on the money. These others with their suggestions are'nt even listening to the problem and its characteristics. Valves ? Jetting ?...Give me a break....I smell an electrical problem either in the primary or secondary

Old 04-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, just pulled the tappets off for a quick peak, still have to wait till saturday to do, but at TDC the feeler gauge should slide all the way in between the valve tip and the rocker? If so it would seem that my intakes are too tight. Thanks guys, just trying to get this right without paying someone else to do it wrong.

Old 04-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys, just got my machine back and wanted to let you know what was up. In the spark plug wire there is a resistor that controls coil resistance for your ignition. Well there is supposed to be spring or some sort of mechanism in there to keep the resistor in contact with the cap for the plug and the end of wire that goes to the coil. Well there was nothing holding the resistor in place, it was free in floating that plastic piece at the end of the plug wire, thus it wasn't contacting each end and giving the necessary resistent. I think I must have lost that piece when I changed the plug, not sure what it looks like it. If anyone else is fooling with their plug wires make sure you pay attention to that. Once again thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help out, you helped my adjust my valves and take care of some other things.
thanks

derek

Old 04-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

make sure all rubber boots are attached to the carb

Old 04-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

One more little (not little actualy) thing to be aware of. When pulling the plug wire off the plug be sure you don't pull off the vent hose from the valve cover to the top of the oil tank. I must have loosend it or actualy pulled it off today when I checked the color of my plug. Started it up, took off and by the time I got to the top of a near by hill I had oil everywhere. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]----[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It wasn't a pretty site. Its all better now, got her home (after I checked oil level and wiped her down and finished riding for the day) and got her all cleaned up again. I can't imagine any other reason that hose came off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

P.S. Glad you got your problem solved. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The electrical guys were right on.

Old 04-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I HATE ELECTICAL PROBLEMS!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Glad you got it running right. It really $UCK$ not being able to ride. Now you'll be better equipt to work on it next time.

Ride safe!

My Raptor & Other Toys

Old 04-15-2002, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

HEY KODIAK2K, I WENT TO THAT BIGVALLEYATV.COM AND I CANT FIND ANYTHING ON THE RAPTOR VALVE ADJUSTMENT. HELP???!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

Rammy, I just went back to my post and checked the link I left and it worked for me. I don't know man?! http://www.bigvalleyatv.com/rapvalve.htm Try to copy and paste this link.