Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does any body know if there will be any updates on the 03
caus i cant ride hart rite know (three broken bones from a freak accident) so i have been thinking about selling my blaster befroe the 03 come out so i can get a little more out and that will give me more time to save money (so i don`t have to finance)
i just wanted to throw that out there i would still like to hear from more owners/riders of raptors
thanks for any and all help

Old 04-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

As far as coolant goes, the level has not changed an inch since I first purchased it a year ago! I really take care of my 01 Raptor and I think thats what makes most of the difference, thats why I have not had any hickups to date. knock knock. Enjoy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I read somewheres that a little coolent coming from the weep hole is normal during break-in. It should stop.

Old 04-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

i have an 01 that i have had now since sept.2000
i know a lot of people have had tranny problems but i guess im one of the lucky ones
i did put a hinson clutch basket on it as soon as i got it,maybe thats why...
i did have to replace the master cylinder within the first year
and of course the strange gap between 1st and 2nd gear is nuts...get an '02
i think the main key is proper maintenence...take care of it...
wash it and check for loose stuff...change your oil every other time you ride!!!!
keep your filters clean...yada yada yada
my raptor,even modified,is excellent on gas and im always in the throttle

negatives...swingarm is to short,add a plus 2
...add a arms or offset rims up front to widen
...add an axle to widen the rear
these are all personal preference items that YOU may or may not need
its a blast to ride right out of the box,good luck
i just put over a hundred miles on mine up at coal creek,tenn.(your neck of the woods)

Old 04-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

My '02 hasn't had any problems at all. No coolant leaking out either, you're the second person posting about finding that.

If you get a Raptor, first mod should be a swing-arm skid plate. The stock piece is less than useless. I like the gyt-r piece and just recently picked one up myself, but I haven't had time to smack it into anything to see how well that aluminum stands up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Other than that, same old things. Wider a-arms, wider axle, longer swing-arm. Definately worth the money, and all 3 are on my list of things to do before I kill myself. I've indo'd over the bars once, back-flipped the quad once (not fun), and barrel-rolled it once (avoiding someone who cut across track without looking). The flip cost me $8 for a headlight mount, the roll cost $250 for parts and labor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Killer,

Mind elaborating on your experience with Raptors? If you post a comment like the one you did, you should really back it up. You don't like the performance? Coolant leaks? I will have to search the board, but I haven't really heard of a rash of things.

For the record, mine has run almost flawlessly. The only problem I have had was a leaky headlight. A little silicone fixed that.

But it is a major blast to ride. Wheelies on command, handles like a dream, is competitive in a drag with most other machines, and has major hop up potential.

I think they addressed the right things in the 02 machine: Tranny, Axel, Jetting (carb boots). They made the right corrections.

Why wouldn't you want this machine?

RM

Old 04-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey fourlix...are you really getting 30 mpg on a raptor??....that's impressive...i don't get close to that on my 350...

Old 04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

went for a 250 KM ride on my 02 Raptor and not just ******* it I was given er' and I figured out my gas milage to be 38 miles to the gallon.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

My cousins 400 Ex got 40 miles to the gallon and the honda rubicon got 27 miles to the gallon

Old 04-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< Mind elaborating on your experience with Raptors? If you post a comment like the one you did, you should really back it up. You don't like the performance? Coolant leaks? I will have to search the board, but I haven't really heard of a rash of things. >>

well to be perfectly honest with you maybe my expectations of the rpator have been set ti high.before it's introduction to the public it was hyped up beyond belief.and now they have been out for over a year and 90% of the ppeople have grenaded motor s and trannies,and oddball other stuff has gone wrong with them. i work on these machines almost everyday and i've seen everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.
and the performance is nothing to right home about.especially after you see so many quads kickin it's *** all over the place.it was suppose to be the fastest atv ever built when it came out.then the public found out that it wasn't as fast as procaliamed and the handling isn't the best either.it is a good handler just not the best,the machine is way to narrow.so i'm not impressed with the raptor they are good machines but they aren't that good.there are better ones by my opinoin.you can take it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!