Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ALL RAPTOR OWNERS... HELP ME OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here are some facts about my raptor :

Bought it 2-2-02 is in the shop for second clutch. I gotta believe the basket or something else is screwed in there as I got only 8 hours on second clutch (both OEM) Just switched to GYT so I will see but other than that bulletproof. I put a CT pipe (complete kit) and have only lost 1 race to 440 ex (it had to have more than he was telling). beats 3/4 other raptors (mods again different story) It will beat almost any banshee without motor mods @ glamis, mods are a different story. Mileage I rode from gordons well to china wall @ glamis and back on same tank (about 3-4 miles into reserve) GPS said 59 miles so go figure. As far as a around bike I would like a honda 650ex, hondas are so easy to work on but untill something a heck of alot faster/better comes along you'll have to be eating my raptor roost [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Michael

Old 04-06-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

thanks gus i think i will go with the raptor
next problem is getting the money i just put my two babys up for sale 68 chevy and 00 blaster before you say i am crazy for selling the car trust me i cant aford it (i`m 17 and just got a ticket for wreckless driving)and dad said i have to sell some cars ( we have six cars for four people in my family)hopefully i can get it within a month (my parents will help me out a little but i also flip hamburgers 5 days a week) but i will have to pay my parents back
and killerkx327 i would like to hear about the "service bullitens"

Old 04-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

<< thanks gus i think i will go with the raptor
next problem is getting the money i just put my two babys up for sale 68 chevy and 00 blaster before you say i am crazy for selling the car trust me i cant aford it (i`m 17 and just got a ticket for wreckless driving)and dad said i have to sell some cars ( we have six cars for four people in my family)hopefully i can get it within a month (my parents will help me out a little but i also flip hamburgers 5 days a week) but i will have to pay my parents back
and killerkx327 i would like to hear about the &quot;service bullitens&quot;
>>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm happy to see your going to join the big dog club. (Raptor).

Old 04-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 01 Raptor and I ride often and hard. I have had a number of things go wrong with it.
#1 front and rear sprocket went bad.
#2 rear axel berings went bad in 6 months
#3 front a arm bushings were lose and I greesed them alot to make it stop squeeking
#4 headlights were leaking water in them ....dealer fixed them
#5 chain needed replacing

all of these things are minor and I can see that it would be cause from just simply riding! however, the things that I don't think are very good are as follows

I wanted to put a 11:1 piston and a web cam in the motor to keep up with some of my buddies that also have raptors, so I tore the moter down and found that the intake valves are very soft and were chewed up bad enough to need the head ground and new stainless steel valves put in at 50$ a pop times 3! my ring gap in the top and bottom ring were more than twice as much as they were supposed to be! again I guess this is somewhat normal wear and tear. after installing piston,cam,and new valves I rode it a total of about 2 hours and now has a broken transmission! I must say that I did have 135 hours on the bike before the tear down. Sometimes I question myself for buying a raptor when its broken but, when it's running I know why I did!!

thats just my 2 cents worth there is good and bad to everything!

Old 04-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 01 Raptor that I've ridin to hell and back twice and have not had a single problem! (Other than the typical wear parts-sprockets, chain, brake pads, and clutches)My Raptor had about 80hrs on it before I got the motor built up and It has been piped since the day I bought it. I now have a 60+hp motor and still haven't had any problems. I hill climb, drag race, motocross, trail ride, and dune hop my machine &amp; still havent had any problems. And I can promise you it has nothing to do with me pu$$y footin around on my machine because All I know is full throttle!!!. I really don't understand some of the problems people are having with their 01 raptors, Maybe I'm just lucky.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Blastermaster, You will be making a wise choice. The Raptor is a totally awesome machine. And there is nothing wrong with flippin' burgers five days a week. It's an honest income and it will make you appreciate what you have to show for your money. Everybody has to start at the bottom and work their way up. It's a good learning experience. Good luck with you raptor, you'll love it

Old 04-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2001 raptor and have not had any problems with the coolant leaking out at all. But my second gear has gone and so has my clutch.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

2001 Blue Raptor
Yoshi pipe
blue shockwears
full skids
Twin Air filter