Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Raptor, it is a little tippy, that is obvious. Other than new axel & a-arms can wheel spacers help this problem? Not I have heard that the stock rear axel is weak any way, not sure if adding wheel spacers would add unneeded stress. Never really jump anything major, mostly woods riding. Also, is I was to go to a lower profile rear tire, would that help?

Any help appreciated.
thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Fisher has wheel spacers on his 01 Raptor, so far so good. Lower profile tires might help it be less tippy, but you will lose ground clearance at the lowest, most vulnerable point.
A wider rear axle is the single best mod you can make. It will let you slide around turns instead of railing through them. The difference is immense, and you don't need the wider A-arms, at twice the price of an axle, to get it to handle way better. You can always think about the A-arms next year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Durablue 1 1/2" spacers on the front and custom made aluminum 2" spacers on the rear. They work pretty well. I like them so far. It does handle alot better, spins around on a dime now. I get some decent air with them too and no negative effects on my axle yet. They are a quick and inexspensive fix!

Old 04-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

I put the 2 1/2" spacers on my raptor and it made the world of difference. There are two of them (one for each side) for a total of 5". It's a quick, cheap fix and I highly recommend them. Go with durablue from rocky mountain. Quick service. They arived in two days.

Old 05-07-2002, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a pic of how much air you (I) can get on an '01 axle with 2" wheel spacers on each side. No problem. Spacers hold up just fine. Bansheewarrior and Hitower can vouche for it.

my jump

This is an inside pic of the 2" aluminum spacers (and my +2" swingarm).
close up of spacers and swingarm

Old 05-07-2002, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Would a 2" wider axle and 2" wheel spacers in the front help considerably or would I not notice much?

Old 05-07-2002, 10:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Redtree,

I bought the durablue easy fit wheel spacers 2 1/2". It makes the rear end 49" wide. With my ITP holeshots anyway. I also have 1" offset front rims, that made it 47 1/2" wide. Both these mods make a world of difference. I can haul azz around corners and feel comfortable doing it. No more tippy feelings. I have jumped 4-5' in the air and maybe 20' in length and have had no problems. I highly reccomend the wheel spacers for the money conciouse like myself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Got them from rockymountain atv for i believe it was 96 bucks shipped to my door in less than a week.

Old 05-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

BIGBUBBA, If you widen it at all, it will feel alot better. I couldn't believe the difference in handling. It corners soooo much better.
And as far as how much air -- In the pic above I was probably 9-10' in the air and traveling a distance of maybe 80-90'.

Help me with the figures HITOWER & THE MOOSE & BANSHEEWARRIOR. We really haven't discussed it too much. I know, "to me" ~ I was soarin'...........

Old 05-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yea 10~12 feet high but I think it was about 60 feet long.

Now I heard that the next day you got about 20 feet high & 100 feet long.
But that was just the quad!! You were flat on your back knocked smooth out!! LMAO!! J/K Hope your feeling better now raptoid!!

Raptoid, I'm going to send you that CD today. Later.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I got the 2.5" rear Graphlites & they do make a nice improvement, however I did notice that the front end tends to dive a little when I push the corners hard so I may spring for the 1.5" front spacers as well.
I was considering new front wheel hubs from PPP, they offer 1.5" offset thus acting like wheel spacers, they work with old bearings & all, cost is around $275 though.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers