Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting a sports quad for myself. I have been looking at the Raptor and DS and decided on the DS. Last time I went to the dunes I rode a friend of mine banshee.WOW. That thing was way fast. Here is my question. I have been riding for about a year, but its been on a modified Polaris scrambler. My brother-in-law says that the banshee is not so good. breaks to much and is hard to keep in its powerband. From what I have read the Banshees are a blast to ride.
I ride fast and hard, I've bent 4 rims in 1 year. What I want to know is will the banshee hold up? and if it really that hard to ride.
I rode on flat ground when I rode my friends.
Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-09-2002, 04:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Shee's are a thrill to ride. If you fall in the give it he$$ all the time, ride to the limit the shee is your best bet. But if you like the easy life, no sweat get the raptor. E-start, reverse, pull any gear. My friend has a shee with toomey's, trinity stage 4 and my raptor eats it. When i ride his quad his shee feels faster. The drag strip tells a different story though. He has had no real problems with the shee in a hard years riding. 1 clutch failure due to dragging the raptors. 2nd and 3rd gear starts.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

So far my Banshee has been reliable beyond expectations. I generaly abuse my 99 and have put many hours on it, with no major malfunctions, mostly things I have done to it. The motor, tranny, clutch, basically NO major mechanical problems. 14mins is right though, the Banshee FEELS faster than any quad out there, but people are really starting to get these new 4 stokes worked out. But since you bought a DS, expect to pay out the rear to keep up, mods for the DS are way expensive.

RoostKing...

Old 04-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

The banshee does feel faster but it isnt.

2 stoke engines are just plain awsome period. But the DS will smoke it even though a ds gives you the impresion that your going slower.

But i have ridden the banshee for 2 years it is still stock and no trouble.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The shee has to have a crappy pilot to lose to a ds. LoL. We have run way to many ds's. Yet to find a fast one. maybe a modded ds is faster than a stock 'shee, i really have never seen that race. Put pipes on a shee, bye,bye modded DS. We have a dragstrip at my house 800 ft long. Raptors and shee's win 97 percent of the time. The shorter the strip the worse the ds's do.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

<< The shee has to have a crappy pilot to lose to a ds. LoL. We have run way to many ds's. Yet to find a fast one. maybe a modded ds is faster than a stock 'shee, i really have never seen that race. Put pipes on a shee, bye,bye modded DS. We have a dragstrip at my house 800 ft long. Raptors and shee's win 97 percent of the time. The shorter the strip the worse the ds's do. >>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Voice of reason. Crappy pilot? The guy had to of fallen off his shee at the begining of the race to have lossed to a S.U.V.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I think one reason the shee might lose is tire spin, those shee's are bad *** and I was just reading about a 350 shee with a turbo that puts out 124 rwhp.

I want one of those. I used to have a 93 shee and miss it very badly. The 4 strokes are nice and they do get up and go, but there is something about that wicked 2 stroke powerband that I miss and also the sound, smell and smoke. I kind of miss those things also.

Anyway, for duning and hill climbing, the shee will kick butt.

I think banshees hold up pretty well. And the nice thing about the shee is that you can buy anything you want for it from about 100 different vendors. The aftermarket is amazing for the shee. Whereas the DS you could buy another bike to build a big bore DS and it will only be marginally faster than a shee with less money in it.

Bat

Old 04-09-2002, 11:41 PM
efg
Pro Rider

I can tell you a banshee will hold up, But not as good as a 4 stroke . If your lookin for a scary fast qaud get a banshee , put a couple of mods on it. im sure a banshee will smoke a raptor or ds any day!I drag down in the south. no raptor or ds down there could compare to my banshee.

Old 04-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I think that you can't go wrong with the Raptor or the Banshee! Both awsome quads. I have not ridden a DS so I can't comment on it. I have a Raptor and I have 3 friends with banshees, I ride them all, they are both fun, but different, the banshee feels fast (and is) but has alot of tire spin, and you have to ride it fast all the time to get the most out of it. It is way high on the fun factor. The Raptor get better traction and you don't have to always have it pinned, but is very fast when you want it to be. I like the suspension alot better on the Raptor, don't care for the front shocks on the shee. just my .02 cents

Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

You guys are to funny.

Stock for stock a DS BAJA NOT REGULAR will beat a banshee or raptor. My banshee will allways smoke a raptor and the DS will beat both in top end but the banshee is the ultimate drag racer.

Stop talking crap telling me a raptor will beat a banshee or DS. The raptor was the one bike i regreted buying. Its dangerous to drive, its not as fast as it should be, Yamaha overhyped this thing major. I though for sure they would make sure its faster then a shee but its not. When i say dangerous to drive im talking about the fact that full throttle from a start will spin the tires but if they catch it will lift the front up on you and if your slow to react you find your self on the ground. On a hill its imposible and in trails its fast but not as comfy as a DS which in my opinion is just as fast as a raptor in the woods.

Ive also jumped it a bit and bent an axle. Now im scared to do anything with it. Definitly doesnt have the banshee build quality.

See ya.

Quick Reply: Banshee vs 4 stroke