Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Major banshee clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a terrible time keeping the clutch in my banshee. The thing has burnt up three clutches in the past four months. When I install the clutches they go in fine and have plenty of free play at the handle. When you ride the thing the clutch hooks up great, but when you pull the clutch in and sit for a while it starts to drag which get the plates hot then they start to slip. If I try to adjust the clutch handle so it disengage the clutch more than I have no free play. I must be missing something in the adjust or somewhere. If anybody has a clue or advice to keep the plates from getting hot and dragging please let me know.

Old 02-29-2000, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

check to see if the ball bearing is still in the clutch, when you take your clutch basket off check in the hole where the clutch "push rod" goes throw there sould be a little ball bearing in there, good luck

Old 03-02-2000, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

there is a needle bearing for the rod the clutch cable connects to, if the bearing is worn a needle could be sideways preventing the shaft from turning and completely disengaging the clutch

Old 03-02-2000, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

You need to make sure that you are adjusting the new clutch properly when you install the new plates. There is an adjuster right in the middle of the pressure plate. It is on the pushrod. There is a nut on it that adjusts the clutch arm on top of the case. The way you can tell if this is adjusted right is by checking the clutches arm on top of the case. There is a little pointer on the arm that should line up with the reference mark on the case. If these are not lined up right the clutch adjuster on the handle bars will never be able to compensate for it. Let me know if you have any questions.
Dave 87 TRX250R

Old 03-03-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you go to Toomey's website you can get info on replacing the clutch on the Banshee. To me it sounds like you didn't set up the clutch right from the first replacement. You have to line up the detent arm that connects with the push rod that actuates the clutch. If you didn't set it up you'll have a draggin clutch even if you pull the handle all the way in. Also did you replace the clutch bushings? All this info is in Toomeys website so that's the best place to go to for info.