Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 06:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed after replacing the pistons/rings/etc on my 87 Banshee that the side cover (clutch side) has small air bubbles coming out between the case and the cover. It only happens after you beat the **** out of it. It acts as if the side cover is becoming pressurized. Any ideas?

Old 02-28-2000, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you need a new sidecase gasket. If you still have the original on it, it is well overdue for a change.

Old 02-28-2000, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Well, thats not the problem. The side cover gasket is new, but I dont believe that the side cover should be pressurized. That is the only way that you are going to get air bubbles forcing there way out past the gasket. Anyone have ideas on this?

Old 02-29-2000, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like the crank seal may be leaking. If the original seal is still in there that may be the problem. I don't think the side case should have pressure in it. It might be worth checking anyway, there not that hard to change normally.

Old 02-29-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking about what could cause air bubbles to escape from the side case.....

There is not any pressure in the side case (clutch side)...But there is pressure where the water pump is.... When you put the side cover back on the wheeler, it is possible that the nylon gear that turns the water pump did not mesh properly with the gears on the block....If that is the case...The water in the pump can overheat causing bubbles (depending on your coolant mixture).... You did not mention anything about overheating though...Hmmmmm.. Is there any coolant showing up in the oil? Another option could be a crank seal. But one of the more common problems is usually over-tightening...it will crush the gasket and make it useless...

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2000, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

Hmm..I am having a little trouble following you but yes, I did find that there was coolant in the oil so I replaced the water pump seal. At the same time I checked the compression and decided to replace the pistons/rings/etc. After getting it back together, I checked the oil, and yes it is water contaminated. It also may be overheating because i was in the woods for a while, came out shut the bike off, and I could hear a noise like water boiling (which is not good). I am running a 50/50 mixture of water/antifreeze. Sounds like you are definately on to something there Sayit_fmf. What gasket are you referring to? The one that comes off to expose the water pump impeller? I would appreciate it you could explain to me more thoroughly what you think the problem may be. I would greatly appreciate it, it has me stumped.

Old 02-29-2000, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

check your oil breather tube at the back of the engine block

Old 02-29-2000, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

I dont mean to sound like an idiot, but what about the tube? As far as I know it is just a breather for the crankcase. What could be wrong with that?

Old 03-01-2000, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 03-01-2000, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

its me again the breather tude has to be clear so the pressure can get out if you take the tude in your mouth and blow in it and let it out of your mouth you should feel air come back out against your cheeck, if no air can be forced in to the crank case then no air can be force out follow me?

Quick Reply: Banshee Problem need help