Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Stroker Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

i noticed that Powroll and FST both have stroker kits. but how much do they bump you up in size? what are the pros/cons between big bore and strokers? with the bore kits you have to do machine work, and even sleeving if you go big enough. how much does machining generally cost? which would give you more bang for buck, the stroker or bore kit? doing both is cool, but costs more.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 04-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

anybody? i know some of you guys have had this done. the Powroll 5.6mm storker crank would put the Warrior at around a 380cc right?

later,
bigmac

Old 04-15-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

They make these up to 500cc with the bore and a stroker crank. Just keep in mind that a stroked crank will never equal the reliability of the stock one.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

yea, i did some reading in the archieves about the big bore kits. but the i was wondering about just doing a stroker kit. a stroker gives more torque right? are there any limitations on doing stroker kits? why would the crank be less reliable?

for the bore kits, how much does machining generally cost?

how does the power gains compare between stroker and bore kits?

thanks,
bigmac

PS: the 500cc would be sweet, but i don't have $2500 to dump on the motor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what the power differences would be, but a big bore is a lot cheaper than having to have the bottom end torn down and having the crank stroked in general. The big bore, short stroke motor will likely be harder on rings and bore. The stroked cranks are generally made from your crank and will not be as strong as new. I don't know how much that affects this particular motor, or how high a warrior/wolverine motor revs, the higher you wind it, the shorter it's life will be in either case. The big-bore should be considerably less expensive.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

For the money the strokers are great I've seen the differce and it's night and day.I'm in the process right now of redoing my warrior,not a stroker don't want to put that kind out money in it right now.I'm going 40 over on the bore and putting a 440 lift cam and oversized valves with a high flow polish on the head,with my pipe and k&n I'm looking for aleast 30% gain the guy doing my machine work said I should get even more.One more thing about the stroker kits more times than not to get the most out of them you'll need a bigger carb and intake on and that's just than much more $$$$

Old 04-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend runs a 400cc Powroll Warrior that i've personally riden, for a warrior it hauls !!!!!!!!!!

see my web page for details:

Daves Powroll Warrior

I've also visited Powrolls headquarters in Oregon and Pete Fisher gave ua a great tour of their machine shop. The stock rod is reduced in length by heating and literally compressing in a controlled fashion then retempering, the rod is stronger than stock after this process.

The stroker give a huge torque increase, the Warrior motor is very over square, big bore, short stroke.

Head mods give a worthwhile flow gain however the stock carb is more than adequate unless your after every last HP and are willing to trade off some low end power. Open up the airbox and get a good filter in there is a must as is a decent exhaust.

Whilst fun to ride for the bucks you might as well move up to a Raptor cause the warrior will never handle as well as the 660 chassis.

Kiwi

Old 04-16-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

well mostly i was asking for general knowledge. but what sparked the question is a $700 Warrior for sale and it's got the motor disassemblied. so what better time to upgrade. lol. i guess it depends how far down the motor is taken apart. if the bottom end is still intact then a stroker might be more work than it's worth to me. maybe just a small bore kit.

how much should machine work cost me?

bansheewarrior - how much are your mods going to cost you?

what would it take to make a warrior hang with a Raptor in a short run drag race? acceleration wise, not top speed, cause the Raptor's top speed is much higher. how bout a Scrambler 500? (trying to figure out how i'd compare to my riding buddies)

thanks,
bigmac

Old 04-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

I've got 385.00 in all the parts and the local machine shop is charging me 55 an hour to do bore and port and polish on the head for the oversized valves,he said 2.5 hrs. is the norm on this.

Old 04-18-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Hey,

bansheewarrior - $385 isn't bad. but how did you get all that for that price? a big bore kit is like $250, cam $135, and i don't know what larger valves cost but they probably aren't cheap right? when making changes like this, you need to re-jet right? how much is a jet kit?

what all is included in a big bore kit? it's just the piston, rings, and pin right? why is that $250? can't you just buy a slightly larger power piston for like $80? that's what a friend told me ne ways.

my friend with the Raptor will probably always be out of my reach. but what would it take to beat a stock 02' Polaris Scrambler 500?

later,
bigmac

Quick Reply: Warrior Stroker Kit?