Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor needs to get widened!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was suprised to learn this weekend that my "tippy" stock raptor was tippy for a reason: at 43" wide, it is 3" narrower than my stock 400ex (yeah, I know it's got a higher center of gravity too). It's hard to believe that Yamaha failed to learn from the auto industry's roll-over woes and from the 1980's three-wheeler fiasco that poor geometry can result in big lawsuits.

Regardless, I'm looking to:

1. widen my Raptor at both front and rear by 5 total inches. Whose a-arms are best? Do I need to add bearings at the frame to a-arm sleeves? Whose axle is best? special tools required?

2. replace the front tires (rims too?) with something more durable than the 2 ply junk that is stock (thanks noturaptor!). It's critical that the overall width be at 48", even after new tires and rims are added.

3. replace the reartires with a quality trail tire/rim (holeshots?). Want something that will slide predictably. again critical that overall width be held at 48".

4. upgrade front shocks to a mid price triple rate with rezzies.

5. re-valve the rear shock.

6. replace the rear shock spring, since I ruined mine by leaving it tightly compressed for 9 mos (oops). Is there an aftermarket spring that is better than the OEM?

What parts do I need to do all this?

Who do I call?

HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2+2 axle, +4 swingarm, & +2+1 a-arms (lonestar). I also have the works triple rate rezzies all the way around and this combination works well for me. I would call up the lonestar boys and see what they reccomend for your style of riding.( If you do decide to go lonestar, don't buy directly from them, its about 20% cheaper to buy that stuff through magazine order like Wind Mountain, Magic Racing etc. Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

Thanks.

Any other views/replies?

Old 04-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

you are absolutly correct on the raptor geometry, i went with durablue 2+2 (really +5 since it uses the banshee axle with a spacer), 2" offset douglas ultimate rims on the front (beadlocks on the back) along with holshot xct's, durablue lowering kit (rear), elka triple rate shocks with remote reservoirs, and denton steering stabilizer, not to mention a couple of motor mods, now i can pound the desert trails i ride, completly cross it up in the turns, slide it in the 90 degree turns with some real g forces without worrying about flipping it over

Old 04-16-2002, 11:50 AM
RIP Dear Friend

For normal trail riding the Raptor is fine.
Chet

Old 04-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I widened mine 4" in the rear and 3" in the front with the + 2" swingarm extension and it handles like a DREAM. After widening it - the swingarm is a must for hole shots and hill climbs! You will love the power slides and cornering with the width.

"RAPTOID" half beast/half machine.

Old 04-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

RAPTOID:

Did the plus 2" swingarm hurt you ability to manuver on tight technical trails?

Old 04-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Not at all!! Think about it - the bike is ONLY 2" longer. It does not change the agility of it on trails. It only changes all the weight to the front of the center balance point. Helping to keep the nose down. It still wheelies on demand. It just depends on where you sit your butt on the seat. If you want holeshots without the front going skyward or climbing steep hardpack hills - sit on the front of the seat. If you want to pull wheeliew - sit back on the seat. There is no need to pull on the bars, it will raise up with power. I used to sit all the way on the tank when drag racing and still pull wheelies in first and second. Now sitting on the front of the seat but in a normal position, it will pull killer holeshots without ever having to let off of the throttle due to wheelying.

Peace!

Old 04-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Another way to get added width is with tires/rims. I run Holeshot 11" wide tires on my sport bikes, on 9X9 ITP rims. These rims are 1" wider than stock, and have a greater offset then stock or Douglas rims. This makes the bikes +4 wider in the rear. My 400EX is 48+" wide with the stock axle, and that is as wide as I want to go on any trail bike.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

i went with timmyboy +2/+1 a arms up front and a lonestar +2 swingarm in the rear
for the axle i added a 2+2 durablue
shocks are a rear revalve and new triplerates with res. from tcs up front
holeshot 22-7-10 up front with 20-11-9 rears for tires on stock rims
tcs 909 594 3474
timmyboy 877 476 4823

Quick Reply: Raptor needs to get widened!