Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kill switch saved my Raptor from going swimming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flipped my Raptor at the frog pond at Little Sahara, OK last weekend. It went A$$ over handlebars twice, landed on it's feet & was pointed down hill straight at the pond! The kill switch kept it from going in to about 4~5 feet of water!

One of the hits must have been on the left front wheel because I did find out about the weak tie rod ends. I rode the rest of the day with about an inch of toe out. Oh well it's off to the dealer tomorrow, I just hope I don't have to next day it in so I can go back & kick that dune next to the frog ponds A$$ next weekend!

Anyone else have a kill switch save them?
Anyone do something that made them wish they had a kill switch?
Come on fess up!

See the new pics from my Sahara trip on My Web Site

Old 04-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I have a kill switch for the Raptor purchased so I could run in a hare scramble. It poured down rain so I didn't go to the race and haven't put it on yet. So far I have been lucky. Had a friend jump it once who is used to his 400ex. He gave it too much throttle at the last 2nd and was straight up and down. He fell off the back and the Raptor kept on going. I was able to recover from laughing enough to chase it down before it hit anything.

My girlfriend rolled her 400ex though and it landed upright and kept going right down in a ravine. It got wedged in under a fallen tree. Took us about 45 minutes to lug it back to the top of the hill since there was no chance of getting it down the hill. Very little damage. I was lucky since I cover the cost of all repairs.

Her son did an endo off a jump. He was doing a true no handed Superman; unfortunately, he came to a grinding halt as he skidded along the ground. The bike did a complete flip and landed upright and continued on in 3rd gear until hitting a tree after going about 50 yards across a field. Absolutely no damage. We went to Florida the next day on vacation. You should have seen him at the beach in the salt water with all those scrapes. What a hoot! Somethings are priceless.

Now you have jinxed me. The gods know I know that this thing needs installed. Better do it before the weekend or I will be posting how I lost my Raptor for good.

/NotuRaptor

Old 04-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

I wish I had a kill switch on the POS Blaster that I used to own. I let a friend use it one day while riding and I told him, if he needs to turn it off, he has to use the key. The manual kill switch doesn't work.

Well, after taking a break next to a creek, I drove off first on my Warrior and expected my friend to be right behind me. When I looked back, to my horror I saw him with both feet planted on the ground, trying to hold the Blaster back. The throttle stuck wide open with him on it. He pulled the clutch in and the bike was screaming because the rev limiter was disconnected (found out afterwards)and the red kill switch didn't work. He dumped the clutch and the bike threw him off. He landed on his face, the quad looked like it hopped a few times, made a right hand turn, and jumped into the creek (about an 10 foot drop). When I got there, my friend had jumped over the side into the creek to shut the quad off because it was still going wide open even though it was almost completely submerged, rubber side up.

Went and got a tow rope and the warrior pulled the blaster up the almost 90 degree embankment with no problem (that machine is a beast). Then I pulled my buddy and the blaster back home. Luckily, he wasn't hurt but it did ruin a good day of riding.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone else want to share their stories?

Old 04-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Man are you lucky!! I also have a kill switch that saved my warrior. I ride a lot in our river bottoms here in Indiana and me and my cousins were hitting a double that faced the river(i know real smart!) Well I went nose first straight into the second ramp and my quad flipped once and landed on all fours but stopped very quickly due to the kill switch, but i am not kidding you, my strap off the switch left a welp on my side where it hit. Well needles to say thats a small price to pay.

Old 04-25-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yea my kill switch paid for itself that trip!