Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What does the Clutch Basket do on a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing these aftermarket clutch baskets for quads and bikes out there. What exactly does it do? It's a solid piece of metal, with no moving parts. Is one really gonna make a difference over the other? I understand that it holds the disks and plates but I'm not sure what else it does. thanks for the help.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:05 AM
The Facility

It holds the clutch friction plates and turns them at the same rate of speed for each disc. The clutch center [or center hub] holds the steel plates in the same manner for the same reason. When you release the clutch lever, the frictions AND steels meet and turn together [Hopefuly].

The aftermarket baskets are made of billet which is formed from a solid piece of aluminum. It is formed this way by a hydraulic press while the aluminum has been heated. Some quads came stock with either cast baskets or forged steel. The cast is just as it sounds. Molten aluminum is pured into a casting in the shape of the basket.

The aftermarket billet aluminum baskets are more reliable because they aren't prone to notching where the friction plates ride against it, AND they are'nt easily broken as some of the cast baskets are.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

The diffrences are in the materials used. The aftermarket baskets are made of much harder materials. I was having problems staging on my 250R, the clutch was grabbing & it would stall. When I took apart the clutch the fingers on the basket were full of grooves that would hang on the clutch tabs. This was from the harder steel clutch tabs wearing on the softer aluminum.

The fingers on the basket hold the tabs on the clutch plates so when the clutch is engaged it's the fingers on the basket that actually transfer the power.

I hope that wasn't too confusing I'm on my 5th beer!! LOL!!

Old 04-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Damn knowsalot you must type with more than 1 finger!! LMAO!!

Old 04-26-2002, 01:51 AM
The Facility

Eh??? One too many beers there MOOSE. Send the rest to me.LOL

Old 04-29-2002, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

so what's the idea of stronger clutch springs? my buddies banshee is slipping somewhere. either in the clutches or maybe the tranny. i haven't seen it slip nor am i a mechanic so it's not like i could tell anyway. but what can i tell him? i suggested may be stronger clutch springs or an aftermarket clutch basket. this thing is putting out some real power and all that stuff is stock.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RRR if the bike is over a year old and his clutch is adjusted right he probably needs new plates. They aren't hard to install just get a manual. If he does it pay very close attention as to how they came out, keep them all stacked together until you put the new ones in incase there is a question. I don't know about the springs it seams like it would help but again I don't know. Also make sure that there are no grooves wore into the clutch basket like above stated.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:11 PM
The Facility

Hey Richie,

Did you get up to the drag strip Sunday?? I was planning on going, but ended up sandblasting a frame instead.

What happened up there?? What's the scoop?

Old 04-30-2002, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

this guy has changed them several times. he says he knows what he is doing so i guess he does. he says the clutches look brand new when he pulls them out but it just won't stay engaged while under power. like i said this thing does have some serious power and everything is stock, clutch wise. that's why i suggested stronger springs to maybe put more pressure on them. if that's even how they work.
no, i didn't make it o the strip. my friend sold the trailer i was using. so i'm looking for another. i missed a whole weekend of racing because of this. it's his trailer so what he does is his business. but he came by here and said he needed to use it a while and then sold it. needless to say that kinda peeved me. but as soon as i get a trailer i'm going. the weekend of the 11th i'm going back to spring hill. i really enjoyed that. those guys are some serious runners. and unlike almost all other drag track around here they only race atvs. we had a good time. they've got it together up there. i invite anyone who reads this and likes to drag.

Old 04-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for that info KnowsAlot. I didn't know all that stuff either. Thanks again. It's nice having someone that knows what they are talking about and gives facts not opinions all the time.