Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor fuel mixture screw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After putting in my K&N Power kit, my Raptor has a sputter right off idle when I give it gas. I set the fuel mixture screws where the kit said (3 turns out) but that was the result. I tried leaning it out (turning screws in 1/2 turn), and it seems to have cleared up for the most part. What does everyone else have their set at?

Also, what's the trick for getting at these screws to adjust them with the carbs on the quad? I ended up taking off the carbs to make the adjustment. I couldn't get my hands in there to turn a screwdriver.

Old 04-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

$124? Ouch! I was thinking maybe just a ratchet with a **** on the end or something.

FWIW, I know my Raptor was running rich, and I'm pretty sure the adjustment to the mixture screw was causing it. I was just wondering how most other people were running theirs. I assume that when the weather gets warmer I'll have the lean it out some more.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

2.5->3 turns out, many of us run larger pilots even at high altitude, I have found that many raptors have the float adjusted improperly, this causes excess fuel at the low rpm range resulting in a sputter that becomes hard to track down with jetting
I think the price on the tool was $12 not 124, that sucker is tough to get to, remember the air/fuel screw only affects idle-->1/8 throttle where your pilots take over, so you shouldnt have to mess with it too often

Old 04-29-2002, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

URPREY,

Get the motion pro pilot adjusting tool. $29.00 Works great, I have it. Easy to use and best of all you leave the carbs on and adjust while the engine is running. Its 3/4 the way down the page. On the next page there is a tapet adjusting set for doing your valves. This will be my next purchase. $43.00

You can view it here.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I wasn't suggesting that I needed larger pilots. I really just wanted to see what everyone else was running and to figure out how to get in there to adjust the mixture screws easier.

BTW, I spent about an hour reading posts the search feature came up with. None of them covered exactly what I was looking for...

Old 04-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh, I'm at 3 turns out as the dynojet kit reccomended. FYI No problems, runs great.

Old 04-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

I am also running just the way the kit said, 3 turns out with 146/148 mains run great. The only trouble that I have noticed is when hot, I have to give 1/4 (or less)throttle to start. It starts instantly, but before I never had to do anything but hit the starter.

Old 04-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm at sealevel and run 2 turns out. I too had a nasty stumble at low rpm. Seems better now at 2 turns. I also had very high float levels that others have reported.

As far as adjusting the screws, I took a micro-screwdriver and cut the end off. I then took the guts out of a HD speedo cable I had laying around ( I suppose any cable housing would work ) and crimped the bit into it. I then stick a mirror under the screw and watch how many times I turn it. Works pretty good, not as good as the motion pro tool but beats paying $30+ for something your going to use acouple of times.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

I just got off the phone with Dynojet Tech Support. He told me that the stumble I was experiencing was caused by being too lean on the needle. He suggested I go to position #5 (i currently have it on #4) which will richen up the midrange. Does anyone else agree with this? He told me the mixture screw only affects idle, and adjusting it won't make this problem any better?

I guess I can try his suggestion, but I just wanted some other opinions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats funny, when I talked to them they said I needed to raise the needle to solve my RICH condition. Anyways, I had the same exact thing happen to my bike, read my other post, and I solved it by turning in the pilots. I jerked the needle all over the place, didn't solve squat. Yes the pilots control mixture at idle but if your loading it up by putting around it will stumble.
Does it get worse as the bike gets hotter? It should
Try taping up half your air filter, this will simulate a richer setting (ie. moving the needle clip down)

Like I posted before, I have a stock 02 raptor @ sealevel with a k&n+snorkle flap cut out and I'm running the 4th pos w/ 2 turns on the pilots and the smallest jets that came in the dynojet kit.

Check those float levels too!

Quick Reply: Raptor fuel mixture screw?