Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX Raptors...NEATV opening day

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here some pics of my cracked cannondale frame: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291861139

Old 05-01-2002, 04:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Corndog- you need to add extreme in front. ExtremeCorndog, cannondale fault finder.

Corndog- suck it up and fix the gas leak, since cannon great service does not cover you! If you blow yourself up, youi will not be able to irritate anybody in the future.

Lots of tricked out raptors on the track? Were they all running factory shocks? Sounds like fun!

Herbdon- that new power is a trip!

Old 05-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

i thought the raptor had alot of power before the sparks 690 kit...man was i wrong....there are so many more ponies in the motor that are begging to be released....i love the power now...when i pin it down the straights....it's a scare ride...punch it and hang on...the long straight at southwick was but a blur...hehehehhehhehe....i get a woody just thinking about it...i love my raptor now...it true deserves it's name now....i highly recommend anyone with a raptor to open that damn airbox up and do some motor work...you will now be sorry.....

raptor600NRH,
i have a twist throttle for my raptor but have now put it on yet, i wanted to get use to the power first then do the twist throttle...not sure if i really want one...sometimes i get outta shape on the raptor and i am glad that i dont have a twisty...
herbdon out........

Old 05-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I was at the NEATV-MX event as well. I raced the 30+ class on an R #19. The only problem I had was with jetting. As usual, I had no time to test the quad out before the race (finished putting it together and loaded at 1am on Saturday night). So I running really rich and ended up fouling a plug big time on the track, ended up pulling off the track at the fourth lap.

Raptor660RNH - you were in my class. I ran into some guy on the first lap going into the back woods. Was that you? He was on a Raptor and fell right in front of me.

I will be at Jolly - with a properly jetted motor. So I will see guys there.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

was'nt me man...i'm out on a hand injury. i hope to be lined up with ya at Jolly. the throttle thumb feels almost good enough to ride...i just don't know if i want to make Jolly the track i test it out on...i may just try it out at Uxbridge on Sat. i need to find out if it's going to keep up with the rest of me. i already pushed it after the intitial injury and had to sit out Southwick because it blew up and looked like "blood Sausage". i wasn't that heart broken though after filming you guys in the rain/mud last sunday.

either way i'll be there.

i wish i practiced this winter changing to a twist throttle...Damn near broke my thumb off with the stock throttle.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

i would love to see the film of the races at southwick....i can just see the mud flying....i washed my raptor after each time around the track (practice and moto) and them washed it when i got home....the damn southwick sand is everywhere still...i have to take out the tooth brush and polish her back up again...i had 1/4" of sand in the bottom of my air box....i run it with out the lid...

lasher...
i would like to possible get together and go riding with you...we are pretty close to each other....maybe a trip out to uxbridge...or some other place or track....let me know....i plan to go riding/training on May 12th....hey are you doing the Central City Cycle harescramble up in Central City, connecticut on May 11th...i am considering it...let me know what you think...

at 33 years old i could race in the 30+ class, but i like beating the young ones still....hehehehehe....so i am racing in the open ametuer class....this season.......

Old 05-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't know about the harescramble. But I doubt I would go. Two reasons. First, I have too much invested in my quad to clip a tree or hit a rock. Spent too much money last year after I blew out my tranny. Second would be family. Over the last two weeks I have been working on my quad (and here at work). So extra races would not go over too well.

I would love to meet up and go riding. I have been to Uxbridge before but every time I have gone there the track was in terrible shape. Too rough to even be enjoyable. Plus with his new hours the trip is not worth it. I heard Rocky Hill is going to build a quad track this summer. Hopefully it will be a decent track. Eagle Bridge (NY) is not bad, have not been there in over a year but that place was pretty good.

Local riding is hard to come by. I used to ride in the sand pits behind my house, but last year the cops kicked everyone out. (it got out of hand with the bikes) This year some people have been riding back there, but I guess the cops are planning on coming out again, especially since the land was sold to a developer recently.

I used to race in the Open class. Novice, Ameteur and then Expert last year but switched to old peoples group this year. The riders in the Expert class last year were kicking my butt. Especially on the jumps. I still have some fear in jumping big during a race. Too much at stake to brake some body part. I remember sitting on the starting line not wanting to give it my all on the start because I knew those guys would come flying by or worse land on me. It was tough to say how the 30+ class will be after the mud fest this past weekend. A racing buddy of mine (Pete - last years tech inspector) who is sitting out the first couple of races said that there was only a handful of really fast guys. We will find out at Jolly.

I wonder what Marco has done to Jolly this year?

Old 05-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Herbdon: i've never raced a harescramble. i would definatly be interested in that. when and where? do you know where i can get more info regarding this? i'll bring ya a copy of the southwick video when i see ya @ Jolly...

Old 05-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

lasher,
i too have the same problems with time and riding...the wife and son dont like that i use up alot of my free time messing with the quad...hehe...have to find a balance between all the responsiblities a husband/father has...sometimes i hate it...other times i love it...overall i would not change a thing...

as for the harescramble at Central City Cycle's track....their are a club located in central city, ct....this will be there second year that they have the race...i cant go to it this year like i wanted to...it just doesnt fit into my racing schedule....hehe...lasher, you and i have the same problems when it comes to riding/racing...as for the track/course....central city does one lap around their motocross track and then they go into the woods...i have heard that the woods section is wide open and smooth....

i am weery about running my raptor in harescrambles...i put alot of money into my raptor and one miss calculated rock or tree, could take me out of the 2002 neatv-mx season...i have no money left to fix any broken parts...i had to setup a race budget so the wife wouldnt toss my atv obsessed butt outta the house...

i am going to work my way up to the open expert class prolly next year...depending on how well i do in the open ameteur class this season...so far i am very happy with my results...i got 4th at southwick and not for making the same mistake twice in the same corner (the one right before the tabletop jump) i would of had 2nd place...i was passed twice....i was pushing to hard and came out of the dry grooves in that corner only to have someone pass me on the inside....damn mud...hehehehe....overall i had a great time and i got my first trophy....woohoo...

i handle the big jumps ok....but at 33 years old...and a mortage, wife, son, house and a good job...i cant afford to get hurt....so someone half my age will have an advantage over me...that would be stupidity and no fear....i am banking on riding fast, smooth and smart...in the end i will be faster...i just have to work on my cornering more.....

i cant wait to see the video....i have a video of my first race a southwick...my fatherinlaw makes video's for a living...i am going to get him to come to 2nd race at Jolly Rogers' and tape the entire day of racing and put it together....hoping we can sell the tape for a really cheap price....trying to build up the number of racers here in New England.....should work pretty well....i will bring a copy of the my race with me to Jolly...we can exchange tapes...

here is the web site for Central City Cycle...
http://www.cccmx.com/

check it out....it's a bike track...but when it's been groomed...the track rocks....very hard to become a member of their club tho...it's a giant pain in the butt to become a member...i have tried...but just dont have the time to do it all the way...plus it will cost $400 just to become an associate member...which only gives you track riding priviledges....to become a full member you have to wait two years and be on the waiting list...and go to meetings...and do other stupid stuff...just a pain in the butt....

i too have heard about the rocky hill track being built...should be done this summer....i have been to the motocycle track there before....but not with my quad...i do know that many members complain of track conditions alot....they dont have a dozer or a watering system....so be prepared to eat lots of dust and ride a rough track if they build a quad track....if they would just set it up properly it would be a great stop for several tracks....they just have to get a dozer and a watering system.....i will let you know if i hear more about it...
herbdon out........sorry for the long post...had tons to say.......hehehe....cya at the race sunday......remember bronze dodge 4x4 with 6'bed and connecticut plates....quad #352...."SCALA" on back of riding jersey.......

Old 05-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

There is a new manager/owner of Rocky Hill this year. Tony Larusso, the MX guy. From what I understand the track is night and day difference. He does have dozer and is trying to get a watering system in place. Hopefully thing will work out this time, now that it is a new owner.

Quick Reply: MX Raptors...NEATV opening day