Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX Raptors...NEATV opening day

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a diffrence a year makes. last year, their was a hand full of raptors. 2002 Opened in Southwick, MA (MX338)on Sunday. It was cold and rainy...and boy were there a bunch of Raptors...stock, modded, 686's, 720's...all ran well.

Conditions? sucked. i'm sorry, that doesn't quite cover it. SUCKED!! is more like it. Thank God, i was nursing a sprained thumb from a bad landing last week (that reminds me, i need to order a twist throttle) anyways it rained all day and it was like 35 degrees (felt like 10).

i showed up with two raptors from the "Granite State" ready to ride. #10 charlie and #2 Russ (last names with held to protect the innocent)

as far as i know the only Raptor problem... was #2's chain jumping off the rear sprocket. after a quick adjustment Russ went on to take 1st place in several races. pulling the holeshot everytime.

No Blown Trannies. They all must have been 02's

of course Cannondale showed. they had representation from a local dealer...i think i counted about 8 racing for that day. i watched 2 get towed off the track...one looked like a brand new Moto 440. there was alot of mud and you could smell the cannondales overheating when they went buy...but they were up front. The Cannondale Rep was even their snapping pics. (funny, i didn't notice him taking pics of the ones being dragged off the track.) anyway they ran hard and pulled strong. they didn't look like they were having any problems tracking in the mudd.

one things for sure. ELKA Suspension was on everything. it was amazing to see how quick the yellow and red shocks broke into the market.

Suck weather but great racing...except for the mini's. those poor kids.

Old 04-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

you are so right....raptors everywhere....i #352...had my just broken in on Saturday...Sparks 690 kit....motor ran well handled the deep wet heavy sand with easy...placed 4th in the open ameteur class....and you are right...the weather was terrible...hopefully we'll have great weather for all our races....was nice to see the 2 strokes choking in the heavy wet, no traction, track conditions....hehe....next week at Jolly Roger's should be great....going to be a great season....goodluck all that are racing in NEATV-MX New England season...
herbdon out.......

Old 04-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

i have trouble with my cannibal overheating/keeping in antifreeze. they are good bikes but are only for racing. they still have problems for 2002.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Those muddy races sure are fun though. Especially when you see the 2-strokes almost stuck in the corners and us 4-stroke riders "accidently" roost him when we pass him on the inside [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. But still... I preffer the nice, cloudy, 75 degree weather races much more than the rainy ones.

Corndog - THEY have problems???? Corndog, why don't you go to the C-dale forum and ask how many people have had anti-freeze sprayed all over them every time they ride. I believe you are the only one. Why don't you ask how many people have weak mid-range power. I believe you are the only one. Why don't you ask how many people have had their engine rail (or any part of their frame) crack. Once again, I believe you are the only one.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

maybe i got a lemon.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Herbdon: did you have the Raptor with the Yellow frame or the one with the (Rebel Skull) sticker on the tank?

2 strokes dying up the hills...embarassing to watch.

I've questioned my decision about upgrading my raptor for MX...with all the new machines coming out and all. Watching all the Raptors pulling away from the pack at the line felt great. If my raptor makes it through it's 2nd year without failure...i'll reward it with a 686 or maybe a 690(i'll be watch'n how Herbdons holds up) and upgrade to the 02 gears.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

NO, my frame is silvervein powdercoated, and i only have one sticker (that's not stock) on my raptor...i have the roll design lobo 2 front end and an RPM swingarm...blue plastic....#352...i was two quads to the left of the yellow framed raptor when we were on the start gate...when curtis was doing my motor i had him change out 2nd and 3rd gear with the fortin racing forged gears...i wanted to do the 02 trany update, but i could not get the parts in time...come by my truck at the jolly roger race...and take a look at my quad...i drive a bronze dodge 4X4 with a 6' long bed and Connecticut plates...see ya there...oh yea....the sparks kit is a 686 kit...he just calls it a 690 kit...cause it sounds better....come check out the motor....you'll want one....trust me....my raptor flys....
herbdon out......

Old 04-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I think i've seen you over at Uxbridge MSP, no? Anyways i got it all on video? i'll check you out.

Old 04-30-2002, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

i do go to Uxbridge alot...but havent been there this year...planning on going May 11th...between the may 5th race and the may 18th race....have to practice....i'll catch up with ya at the jolly race....what quad number are you running....and what class do you race in?
herbdon out....

Old 04-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

#28 in the 30+. this is my first year racing. i usually go to uxbridge to ride Moto.

I may not be ready for Jolly by sunday...but i will be there. Sprained my thumb at uxbridge...Bad. i didn't know you could turn an appendage black without it falling off. anyhow, i remain hopeful...my other option is to change to a twist throttle. i'm afraid that would take me more time to adjust landing jumps without nailing the throttle.

bottomline...see you at Jolly one way or the other.

Quick Reply: MX Raptors...NEATV opening day