Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Preformance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2000, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a new atv and was concidering the Yamaha Warrior. How does this atv preform compared to others, And what are it's downfalls?

Old 03-03-2000, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've only ridden Honda's and Yamaha's so I cant' speak for the others. I love my warrior so much I bought a second. I like the stability, good speed, reverse, it is a little heavy and others probably turn a little tighter. Blaster is pretty small and banshee is radical, it doesn't sound like you looking at them so warriore is yamaha's only sport 4-stroke entry. make no kistake about it i can't go up a lot of the hills or as effortlessly as my brother-in-law on his 250R. When riding with him I feel a bit mild with mine. For on all aroung performer it's a good choice. I like 300ex probably second best but probably only because I haven't had the opportunity to ride 400ex. good luck

Old 03-04-2000, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

Well, when I was shopping for my first quad about 6 months ago I was looking real hard at both the Warrior and 300EX, mostly because I thought the 400EX was way too much machine for a beginner like me. Needless to say, I bought a 2000 Warrior in Sep 99 because there was a 3 month delay in getting a 300EX, and I couldn't justify the extra grand or so for the 400EX that was sitting in my local dealer's showroom. It wasn't more than a few weeks after I bought my Warrior though, that I got an opportunity to ride a "newly-acquired riding friend's" 400EX, and it only took a few minutes on it to realize I had made a mistake in buying the Warrior--the ride and power of the 400EX was amazing!

Now having said that, I must explain that I can't fault my Warrior other than for a few things Yamaha should have fixed a long time ago--like the air filter setup which is a joke--and it's been an extremely reliable machine requiring zero maintenance other than valve adjustments and oil changes. I too like having a reverse gear, it's also fairly stable although the suspension could be better, and it climbs as well as the two 400EX's I regularly ride with. What I can say though, it that it's no 400EX when it comes to fast riding in the woods, and I'm probably going to buy a 400EX in the near future once the loan on my Warrior is paid off.

At any rate, you're probably going to get quite a few opinions on what everyone feels is the best quad to buy--and I just gave you mine--but it really boils down to what you feel is best for your riding style. The Warrior is a great quad and it shows as Yamaha plugs it as "best selling sport ATV of all time", but it "is" a fairly old design and does have some limitations and faults...but then again, what quad doesn't? Good luck!

Old 03-04-2000, 10:51 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I had a Timberwolf for a long time, when it was time to upgrade, it was a given that I would get a Warrior. The dealer didn't have one in stock so I had to wait. I went ridding with a bunch of friends, my buddy let me ride his wifes Polaris Sport 400. It is huge, alot bigger than what I was use to, its heavy too, it doen't like to leave the ground. But for all out speed and control (you have more control if your wheels are on the ground) was fantastic. The 2 cycle reponce is incredible. Anyway, I canceled my order and now I own a 1999 Sport 400. I always thought Polaris was a joke, but if you have the opertunity to ride one, you'll change your mind. It might not be for you, the uglyness was hard to get over, but the performance is woth it. For me it's the right quad. I say test ride all you can before you buy.

Bruce
99 Sport 400

Old 03-05-2000, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Yamaha Warrior and I wouldn't trade it for anything I love the power and the high speed stability. Plus it has good jumping ability.

Old 03-06-2000, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Definitely I recommend the Warrior for a beginner if you learn the theory issues with attention. The Warrior it is not a very easy squad to learn, because the difference between the axletree is to short and you need to be body disquieting all the time. It's pretty funny. I never tested an 400EX, so my opinion is not important for you to compare.

Old 03-06-2000, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

I own a 1998 Warrior and in my opinion it's the best sport-quad available. Also, it has the best bang for the buck. Simply put; I purchased my bike for $4300.00 brand new and a 4 year extended warranty for $750.00. With Yamaha you can receive that $750.00 back at the expiration of the warranty. I check with Honda, because at the time they were the only other competitor. Doesn't exist.. Six month factory warranty with 4 year extended warranty with the possibility of getting back money. Sounds like a no brainer. The bike is in stock form and is in excellent condition. I ride in South Louisiana, where there are mainly Sugar-cane fields and this quad goes all day long without a cough. I have met a few 300exs (some with mods. i.e., pipes, rejetted, minor stuff) and I have whipped up on them every single time.