Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Jetting help, i know you are tired of hearing these....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well before i sell the blaster I want to make forsure that everything is right on. just had new clutch, gaskets, plug, oil, air filter, brake shoes put in. now the jetting, i remember when i installed the Paul Turner pipe and silencer that I went up a couple of sizes on the main but I do not know if i should have on the clip and pilot. can anyone shed some light on this? i havent rode the bike in quite some time and honestly dont remember if its fat or lean in the low-mid area. also, do you count clips from the bottom or top position. I am in south MS ( about 800 ft elevation ) and its hottt and humid down here ( dont know if that affects jetting or not ) TIA

Old 05-07-2002, 09:15 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Razormaster,

No machine needs a jetting change [including the main jet] unless it NEEDS a jetting change.

Even a pipe on a two stroke does not neccessarily mean that you must re-jet. Only a spark plug check after a modification will tell you if you need a change or not.

Sometimes, you can even have two of the same model with the same mods. and they will require different jets. It's even possible for one to have countless mods. and not require any changes at all. It varies.

Unless you are having a problem down low, I wouldn't mess with the pilot jet at all. If changes are needed here, it can be made by adjusting the air screw on the side of the carburetor to fine tune it in small ammounts. With the mods. you have, a complete jump in the pilot jet is not needed.

You can experiment with the needle height adjustment without spending any cash, so if you feel a need to change this, just write down where it was originally so that it can be set back to the spec. that you started with.

Crank your engine and warm it up enough that it runs without the choke on. Kill it and replace the spark plug with a new one. Crank it and don't run past 1/4 throttle for about 3 minutes. Let the motor cool and check the spark plug. This will give you an idea of what to do...if anything.