Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cheap Quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I've been interested in Quads for about 3 months now and I would like to get riding sometime soon. My Question is, can I find a good cheap quad for around $1,000 ? And if I could what quad would it be? Keep in mind i'm 14 and don't need some little ole' quad, lol . Any sugesstions would be great! Thanx.

Mike

Old 05-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

You might be able to find an older blaster or mojave for that kind of money.

Old 05-07-2002, 11:25 PM
The Facility

I say the same.....Blaster.

By little ole' quad...If you feel you may be too tall for the Blaster to feel comfortable, look for a Warrior, but don't expect one in great condition for a grand.

Old 05-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

My buddy just bought an 88 blaster for $800 bucks, it needs some work but nothing major.

Old 05-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys,
Thanx for all your replys. I've read some articles on the blaster and they sound like pretty good Quads except for a few things like...No reverse (although that quad is pretty light), The brakes are pretty sucky, and its a bit tipy, ETC... But all those problems can be solved one way or the other. lol. One of you said maybe a Mojave, when I heard that my ears perked up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Do you think I could find an old Mojave for around $1,000-1,200 ? I was thinking if that wasn't possible, then to maybe go for an old Tecate4, whould that be another option?...Thanx guys for all your help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Mike

Old 05-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you can find a tecate for a grand then ****** it up...I would love one of them personally. I have never even seen one up here so if they are that plentiful near you then go for it.

As far as the complaints on the Blaster....that's what you get for $1000. Sorry to say.

No matter what bike you pick up for that cash there are going to be things that you can point out that you don't like about it.

Man, even guys who go out and spend $7000 on a quad can find a handful of things that they would change if they could.

You are right...No reverse, but they are light and easy to push around. Suck Brakes? They aren't top of the line, but they will get you by. Tippy? Nah, you won't have a problem with that.

Like KNOWSALOT said, a Warrior might be up your alley, but good luck finding a good one for that price. If you pick one up and the motor goes in it you may end up paying more for the rebuild then you payed for the quad.

Anyway, the best thing to do would be to check the papers for any quads in your price range then post back on here asking about them or comparing them to others.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 05-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Old 05-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

OK, thanx guys. I have a few questions on the Blaster...Is it very hard to maintain, Is it easy to rebuild and whats it involved in rebuilding, how much would it cost, and how often should a 2-stroke be rebuilt? The only thing that I really don't like about the Blaster it the front nose, It's pretty UGLY and it sticks out far...Do you think If It had a aftermarket bumper on it would make it look better? Thanx agian guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Mike

Old 05-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

yamahryder,

ive got a blaster ( for now ) and ive enjoyed it immensely, ive never been caught needing reverse when i couldnt just pick it up, its pretty light. Ive got minimal mods and really good luck with it. my bike will be 2 years old this june and it just nows a rebuild ( i think ) , and it has been ridden very very far. the only things I have done are changing the oil regularly, cleaning the airfilter, and making forsure that the mix-oil is topped off. im not sure how much it would cost to rebuild one, i have heard though that the blaster motor is pretty much peanuts to work on, i believe that is a simple 2stroke motor with minimal parts, if im not mistaken in a rebuild you would bore ( if needed ) , piston, rings, anything else that may have been broken ( if it blew ). Im most likely going to wind up tearing mine down soon and rebuilding it ( i am pretty mechanically inclined and right now I cant afford to have a shop do it ) other than that I have really really pleased the blaster, alot of people dog them but it is not that bad at all. I have put mine alot of places that it shouldnt have gone and almost 100% the time it made it through without problem. a pipe, K&N , reeds really woke up the little motor... all imo of course

Old 05-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Have you ever ridden before? If so, have you considered an 85 or 86 ATC250R? I own one, and they are nicec bikes. I paid $900 for it, but I got it from my Uncle, so expect to pay around $1200 for a nice, clean one. I'll admit that at first,t hey are a little intimidating, but after awhile you get used to it. I can usually beat most guys around XC or TT like courses tht are on Banshee's, LT250R, dirtbikes, and smoke them all on the straights, even though my machine is nearly stock!

Mods, why is it that if I make a spelling error, than go back and type in the letter, it erases the next letter? Does anyone else have this problem?

Quick Reply: Cheap Quad