Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor versus z400

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of cannondale did you ride? If it was a cannibal, it had a diffrent map and rev limiter. Which makes a huge diffrence. One of my friends has a 440ex and I can beat him by atlest 3-4 bike lengths in a 100 yard run and if pipe raptors can barely beat a 440ex then it sounds like my cannon can beat it.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

This is for YZFBansheeking. You bad mouth a company like you have actually ever ridden one of their products. If you think that Banshee of yours is so great you are in for a rude awakening. Seems like you say Suzuki has never been able to compete with Yamaha and Honda, but may I remind you who was the first on four wheels, who made the first high performance ATV, looks like Yamaha and Honda had to step in to compete with Suzuki. Any time you want to bring that Banshee to the my track and race my "So-Suckie" you just let me know.

Old 05-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

The Z will proboably beat a Raptor on the track stock for stock and mod for mod. The Z revs better and handles better. May not be faster, but speed isn't everything. I sound like a broken record, but I watch stock Cannondales Spank piped Raptors up Utah's Sand Mtn all the time. My brother and I were some of the spanked. The Dales rev and simply left us behind....I watched King Raptor run at Glamis and his quad is very fast. The Dale just gets going when it hits the top of Olds and that is only half way up Utahs Sand Mtn. The torque of the Raptor starts to handicap it and slows it down and the Dales just revs away like a 250r pulling harder and harder.
Labor Day Sat is KOTH. All the big boys will be here. Memorial Day KOTH is at Sand Mtn NV. These are the only two hills that can crown a top motor for hillshooting.
Buddah my brother is getting all the contacts set up to deck the Z for racing. It should be a toss up on who can win when we compete in mx..

Old 05-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 14min., what are you doin next weekend? I'm planning on goin to Weatherford MX on friday night and if I decide to sleep somewhere (like a rest stop or something) I can try to stop by, if you're not busy that is. Let me know! Later.

P.S. Are you sure you couldn't feel the power band on that Dale you rode? It must have been ragged out pretty bad, cause I may only be 16 but I know the differences between the quads I've ridden... the Dale has plenty of power.

Talk to ya later

Old 05-17-2002, 11:09 PM
The Facility

I got to ride the Z400 for the first time today on our test track out back.

To ME, it feels like a 400EX on the very bottom and then more like a Raptor after 3rd gear. That's just my opinion from just a 15 minute test ride. I never wound it out, so I have no idea at how fast it is on top. Not that I would be concerned with the top speed anyway. I feel that the Suzuki is a great bike out of the box and see it whipping up on the other brands on the motocross track. All this talk about drag racing is useless if you truly intend to ride it as an ATV....again, MY opinion.

As far as the Cannondales are concerned, I have learned a few tricks at getting power gains from mapping alone.....BIG gains depending on your riding style and track type.

If the 450 is released this fall, I will gladly bring back all the "Cannondales are already maxed out stock" posts.

14mins.,
Did you run that Cannondale on a motocross track or at a looooooong drag strip?????? Maybe you just need more time in the saddle. There have been very few occasions that I have hit the limiter. [Not saying you can't ride....just asking]

Old 05-17-2002, 11:24 PM
The Facility

Oh, by the way... I saw alot of references to DirtWheels thoughts on the Z400 in these posts.

We received the July issue this morning and I read it. They say that they feel that the Z400 is the quad to replace the 250R. They are supposed to have the full shootout with the other quads in the August issue and then they would make their final decision on it.

More confusion and conflicting thoughts??? Ofcourse.

Old 05-17-2002, 11:47 PM

<< yeah I've seen the Z in action as well over the weekend, however lets face it So-suckie,AKA Suzuki has never been able to compete with the big dogs like Yamaha or Honda and we all know that Suzuki has the worst resale value of any of the machines. It's like buying something that you won't be able to give away 5 years from now. I would like to see a tricked out Blaster or 300 EX smoke one of them, that would be funny.
>>

That made me fall out my chair laughing. Same with the Pastrana comment and everything else... I was seriously rolling!

Cams, exhaust, filter. That's all you need to get to 40.9hp with one of these new Zukis! That's with the stock carb, one of the weak links in the power department on this quad. Stock it has two hp less than the Raptor, handles much better, looks awesome, and is at the same price of a 400EX. Case closed. It even has a tough-as-nails nic-a-sil cylinder and reverse!

I can't believe you can even compare Yamaha to Suzuki. Yamaha have two true sport quads! (the Raptor is borderline &quot;true&quot Line them up against the LT250R and LT500R. There is NO comparison. You obviously know not of what you speak!

Old 05-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

<< Has anyone seen the new Z400 in action or raced one yet with a raptor? curious to know what the outcome was. >>

a)yea i have it sucks tity

Old 05-18-2002, 12:24 AM
The Facility

KINGRAPTOR,

Dragracing, Motocross, and Cross Country are completly different.

That 70HP &quot;recreational&quot; package isn't going to put you up front when in the woods. Only at the strip.

That was the point I was trying to get across.

To each his own.

Old 05-18-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Man, this argument is tired. It all comes down to displacement, unless there is a serious difference between the engines like 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. Where do you get the idea that a Z400 handles so much better? I think this is one of those things that is only a serious discussion until the machines actually hit the trail, and then we'll all be laughing that this was ever even considered a fair comparison. Unless Honda gives us a 600 to 700cc EX, the Raptor is going to continue to own the sport/performance/trail machine title. Fact is, Honda is the only manufacturer who has shown they know how to build better machines than Yamaha in both performance and quality but they seem to be sitting this one out for now. Oh well, hopefully the Z400 won't be a lackluster performer like the Qracer 250 or a timebomb getting whacked by wore-out Banshees like the Qracer 500 was.

Quick Reply: raptor versus z400