Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Taking the quads across the border? (Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ever have any problems with border patrol? i aways take my quads across the border on a trailer and i aways see other people with quads stopping to declare them at the border. i was just wondering if i should be stopping to delcare them, show registration?
also i hear it's legal to ride them in the streets (mexico) as long as u have a valid USA drivers license?

Old 05-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I go into Mexico on occasion. I have never had a problem with getting in or out. I ride the mini-dunes about 1 hour south of Tiajuana. You can ride the beach, race a mini hill or just play. They even have a camp area (access from a different road). I have never camped and I always make sure everything is locked up big time. I sleep in one of the better hotels and pay the security to keep watch on my things. Be careful --- there are alot of drunks riding.

When you are there, take note at the missing frame numbers on most of the atv's being driven by the locals!!!!! I suspect they were stolen and driven straight from Glamis.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I go to MX quite alot and the only paperwork typically required (when entering MX)is a title for the bike and trailer. Sometimes the MX guys like to check that the VINs match the titles and your name. I've never had to show any paperwork entering the US from MX. This may not "technically" be the laws but it's been pretty consistent for the last ten years or so. Also, I've found it much its much better to use the original title, they like to see the original instead of a copy. Dont keep the title on the bike and it's no real risk. If ya use a copy get it notarized with a raised seal. Most of the MX guys at the border actually speak pretty good english as well.

Travel into and out of MX is not sweat unless you present yourself as an ugly American rather than a respectful guest -

Enjoy !