Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I Really hate all belt driven atvS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I suppose any belt-driven snowmobile is out of the question also,huh?!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] J/K!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

it it all personal opinion. i like my grizz, and the auto tranny. It is one less thing i have to worry about on the trail, al i got to do is push the gas, and smile. It has more torque than my 01 quadrunner 500 did, and is all around comparison. I personaly like the auto tranny and others must to. look at polaris, all but one is an automatic. all of the new quads they are coming out with are automatics. (accept sport quads of corse). they must be doing something right.

Old 05-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

the new Rincon has a torque converter just like an auto tranny in a car

Old 05-20-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

i rode yesterday through it all...if ya didnt have a winch, you couldnt go where we did. PERIOD.

The belt never gave me a problem. I have 500+ on my bike, and the guy i rode with has 1100+ on his. NO PROBLEMS.

If it keeps you up at night, or for that matter, always wondering about it on a trail....then dont buy it!

I could never own and operate something that i would worry about 24/7. Take it out, enjoy it, and IF it does break...walk home, get on your computer and tell us about it!!!

Quit worrying and go out and enjoy the sport!

Jonathan

Old 05-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Gimme a Hell yeah!

Old 05-21-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,Andy are you ever happy?
You are always in a right gear with auto,you will never have to change the gear in the most precarious and possibly dangerous moment and you know it.
I can't believe how spoiled some of you are.Nothing make you happy,you will always complain about anything.Shame on you!!!99% of Earth population can't even think about having any quad.
J.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First, a snowmobile wouldn't do me a whole hell of a lot of good in Arkansas.

Second, its absolutely amazing how many yamaha guys just sat and ripped Polaris belt drives back before the Grizzly 600 appeared in 1998. I was here, and this forum was an abuse station for ragging on belt driven atvs. Now that each manufacturer makes them, its not Polaris anymore. Now its how expensive it would be to repair a Honda automatic.

I think belt drives suck. I own it, I get by with it, but I would prefer a manual transmission Grizzly 1000000000 to one over the current model. No, you aren't always in the right gear either. Have to stop and throw it in low range with large tires, where as with my old manual AC, it was just a downshift or two on the move.

I might also add that my 99 Arctic Cat 500 pulled my 27" Claws with more ease and less lag than my Grizzly does. High range will bog it down up a hill, and its definitely not because the engine is lacking.

Think of this. The Wolverine is a pretty nice bike, and a fun ride. Would you rather they switched the Wolverine to a belt driven automatic???? Then why treat the Grizzly (which has so much more potential) that way?

Do like Arctic Cat. Make two models. Then folks have a choice. I'm not telling you not to buy a belt drive. I'm just stating that I'm in the same boat as the guy that started this thread.

Old 05-21-2002, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I remember Polaris bashing in 98 very well.It was so bad , that I decided to buy SP 500 to experience it first hand.And it was just not true.I put almost 6000 miles on the bike as abusive as possible,and it never broke.
My great Yamaha on the other hand is a constant trouble.BUT it is a great bike and I should've waited for 03 model.
As far as auto vs.manual it is a personnal preference and I perfectly understand your point and frustration.They should make a manual also.They should make a blue color for US, too.But their research factoid sheets indicate no need for blue color or manual for am. market....I have no other explanation.
/Sometimes I wonder what is going on.I have a gold Explorer,new color for 2001,got many compliments on the color,people liked it..Ford stopped making it the same year...they see things we don't...???
Joe

Old 05-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think when yamaha was coming up with the 660 the thought of a "luxury" atv. they had a smooth riding, smooth operationg atv that would be as problem free as possible. think of someone who is dissabled, and can't shift, this is the perfect quad for them. as far a making two of each model, how spoiled can you get? In recent poles, more peole said they would prefer an automatic over a standard for a sport utility quad, and so that is what they did. they knew that by doing this, they would p!ss some people off, but they turned more people on to them. By looing at the success of the 600, they decided to carry that same design through and refine it, creating a great quad.

Quick Reply: I Really hate all belt driven atvS