Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZLY 660 REV LIMITER/ SPUTTERING

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY GUYS,

I HAVE A GRIZ 660 AND LOVE IT EXCEPT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. USUALLY ONCE OR TWICE ON AN ALL DAY RIDE IT STARTS TO SPUTTER OR MISS. I KNOW GRIZZLIES HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SPUTTERING WHEN THEY GO THROUGH WATER DO TO STEAM. THATS NOT IT. IT CAN BE COMPLETELY DRY. IF YOU HIT THE GAS IT FALLS ON ITS FACE FOR A FEW SECONDS, AND THEN WILL RESUME. IT WILL ALSO BACK FIRE SOMETIMES WHEN I SHUT IT OFF, BUT NOT LIKE ONE BIG BACK FIRE JUST A FEW LOUD POPS. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID IT WAS JUST THE REV LIMITER ENGAGING, BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES IT AT LOW RPMS. I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE AIR FUEL MIXTURE. I HAVEN'T REJETTED IT OR CHANGED PIPES ALTHOUGH I PLAN TO ONCE I GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED. LIKE I SAID IT IS NOT AN EVERYTIME THING JUST ONCE IN A WHILE. ANYWAYS I WOULD APPRIECIATE ANY ADVICE.

Old 05-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

My buddys 660 grizz does the same thing. Im going to try the grease thing and see if that fixes it. His does it on dry trails as well.

Old 05-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

my 500 quad runner used to do the same thing. it poped and banges like a SOB when i let off the throttle. i adjusted the idler screw and that helped a little, i would check the valves and re-jet it if need be.

Old 05-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with Lsnake,

CHECK your valves/carb. Sounds like an air/fuel mix problem.

Make sure to let us know what you do, and what helps!!!

Thanks

Jonathan

Old 05-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

THE THING IS I JUST GOT THE VALVES ADJUSTED WELL ITS BEEN A LITTLE WHILE AGO NOW, BUT FOR THE 20HR SERVICE. AND IT DID IT BEFORE AND AFTER. NOTHING CHANGED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT I AGREE IT HAS TO BE SOMETHING IN THE AIR FUEL MIXTURE. SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE CARB. THAT IS ONE REASON I WAS GOING TO GO AHEAD AND GET A PIPE AND JET KIT TO SEE IF THAT REMEDIED THE SITUATION. LIKE I SAID I AM GETTING ZERO HELP FROM THE DEALER ON THIS B/C THEY THINK I AM JUST NAILING THE GAS AND THE REV LIMITER IS ENGAGING. YOU KNOW HOW THOSE SERVICE GUYS ARE WHO KNOW EVERYTHING.LOL..I CAN'T EVER GET IT TO DO IT WHEN THEY HAVE THE BIKE. ANYHOW I WILL DEFINETLY LET EVERYONE KNOW THE OUTCOME. PLEASE DO THE SAME.

Old 05-21-2002, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

Chase,

Have you tried to reset the idle screw on the carb? I cant remember what the setting is on it...but i am sure that someone on here will let you know...i have read in on another thread..might want to do a search and see what you can find if no one responds with the correct settings on the carb screws...

Jonathan

Old 05-21-2002, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys,

i think the grizzes sputtering problem is really two fold....First and most obvious is the steam build up when going through water. that is simple b/c all of that is from is water vapor going through your airbox into your carb and changing the air/fuel mix....The second which is the one i am expirienceing (where it sputters when its dry) has to do with heat build up.....JUST MY THEORY....first of all when i think about it it usually only does it after i have been riding hard, and stopped for a minute, and then took off again. (when i stop there is no more air flow other than the fan and the hot air is just laying in there) this hot air is either making the gas boil or changing the air/fuel mix because the humidity level is so high in the engine bay or maybe a combo of both. Like i said only a GUESS, but i am thinking of drilling some holes in my engine covers.....as much as i hate too. anyways let me know what you think

Old 05-22-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Chase,

there is some pics out there of a side cover that is "cut" and backed with Rain Gutter Screen. Looks pretty sharp and allows a large airflow through those side covers. I havent experienced a problem first hand (on a dry run) except for when i went through some water. I have fixed this now, i think, by putting grease on the plug boot. I have not yet been able to replicate it since.

Today, went 40+ mile, without a hitch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan