Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

same old Raptor ?, from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:05 PM
GTV
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guyes here goes;

I have been all over this forum trying to decide which da^n sport quad to buy. The Raptor was last on my list untill I got to ride a 400EX for the first time(previous quad-300ex), I got to put it through the ringer, long steep hills, jumps, and a little bit of tec stuff. Awesome handeling but disapointed with the power and low end torque. So this brings me here to this forum to ask the same questions you guyes have answered 100's of times, I have spent 3 hours reading the old Yamaha posts but found very few answers so here are mine if you don't mind.

I know that most everything comes at a price, to get a 660 and water cooled there has to be a catch, from what I have read the R has a little higher center of gravity. Other than all out MX or hair scramble raceing does the c.o.gravity make the Raptor as bad handeling as most state? Everyone's answer I have seen is to buy a-arm mods but that is out of my price range. I looked up the measurements of the Raptor and was suprised to see that the width was only 43.3", is this right?, the same as a 300EX? I am curious as to why they tried to keep it so narrow on such a beast of a quad?

How does it handle the jumps? Is there a mentionable difference in jumping compared to the 400ex suspension? Sorry to keep comparing it to the 400ex but is the only serious sport q I've riden. How is it balanced front to rear compared to the 400ex?

And last, with the 12tooth front sprocket and ____ rear sprocket will it pull hard off the lowest of the bottom end? I'm not after a "tractor" but it would be nice to be able to go through some rough terain without destroying the rims, swing arm, and or slipping the clutch all the way through.

I am not partial to any one manufacturer, with dirt bikes as a kid I've owned most all brands, so please don't take the honda thing to heart. I have sat on a R at the dealers and I've heard um in the parking lot at the trails but haven't bumped into anyone that looks like they would be willing to let a stranger ride their R, but I'm still looking.

Sorry it's so long and the questions are buried in the jumble.

Your time spent to answer my questions will be greatly appreciated, or any links that might help.

Thanks again...

Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

the handling is not that bad at all, you will learn to move around the quad and keep it from two wheeling. instead of new a arms. just buy wheel spacers, much cheaper.
as for jumping it does quiet well, i also have a 400ex the honda is more graceful in the air, and you feel more confident. but the raptor gets the job done alot easier, it lands alot smoother because of the shocks
the stock sprockets work just fine, you can go slow enough not to mess anything up, i have a taller front sprocket also but i don't like it, its nice for top end speed but for hill climbing its not that good.
hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I may be able to offer some insight. I own a raptor and am very satisified with the handling and performance. I have been on a 400ex several times. I do like the way that they handle and with the proper mods, they can be very quick. The raptor does sit higher and therefore, the center of gravity is higher which gives it that "tippy" felling. A cheap fix is 5" wheel spacers that I have on mine. They work great for me. (only 60.00) as for jumps. I have hit jumps with both machines and I would have to say that they both felt about equal. Good take off and smooth landing. The low end on the raptor is snappier and quicker, but it should be for the displacement difference between the two machine. I ride alot of rough terrain (woods, rocks, creek beds, etc...) The raptor has handled everything that I throw at it and then some. I would recommend getting a swingarm skid plate ( great investment). The 400ex is a great quad and in no way am I putting it down or trying to start a flame, but the raptor is ,more powerful and faster that the 400ex. There are also tons of mods that can be made to even enhance the performance, just like the ex. I was in the same position as you were 4 months ago. I bought the raptor and have never been disappointed yet!!! Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

GTV i cant help you much but i see that you live Lebanon maybe once you get a new bike you can come down here to cookeville and go riding or we could come up here and go riding with you guys

Old 05-21-2002, 07:09 AM
GTV
Range Rover

Blastermaster, where do you ride in cookeville? Actually I live in Watertown, only 30 minutes from you.

There are few places to ride around here, we always go to Wind Rock to ride, only about 1 1\4 hours for you, great place to ride!!!

Thanks for the coments on the Raptor guyes, I'm still trying to weigh the pros and cons of which quad do get, Maybe when I can ride one, I'll know.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< when you pipe that raptor and add a proflow k&amp;n filter and no airbox lid you will gain 11 to 13 horse power with those mods and will be around the 500 dollar range. with those same mods to a 400ex you will gain only about 4 to 5 horse power >>

Actually, the gain for a 400ex is a whopping 1 screaming horse.....remember the pipe shootout?
To answer the original question.....if you have the cash, get the Raptor (not an '01...they have reliability issues). You have already rode a 400ex and think it's a slug. If you don't have the cash for a Raptor, get a Z400 (which may be a better overall STOCK quad anyway)!!

Old 05-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, welcome! PM me if you ever need help.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 400ex before my raptor, the 400ex handles much better but it lacks power (you may have seen a post of mine where my friend melted his top end keeping up with us raptors, that was my old 400ex), the raptor is a bit narrow and the extra torque and hp do make it &quot;tippy&quot;, i have lowered and widened mine and never actually went over, if i were buying a new quad I would consider the new suzuki but then again i really like my raptoy

Old 05-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

GTV,

Owned both at the same time. Sold the 400EX two months ago. Spent all the time on the Raptor. It has more power, needs a little more body english, but I don't get tired of it. Jumps well, wheelies great, and responds like a monster to a pipe/jet/filter kit.

Buy an 02, you won't regret it.

RM

Old 05-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I owned a 400ex for 2 years and sold it for the Raptor. I have not widened/lowered the front or the rear and don't plan to. I thought the stock suspension on my 400 was good until I rode the Raptor, it is a world of difference. The Yamaha takes jumps, whoops, much better. The 400 only felt a little more nimble in woods riding, but the Raptor does just fine, especially with a 12/40 sprocket combo. As far as it bieng tippy, just throw your body around a little more and you should stay on top of the bike!

Quick Reply: same old Raptor ?, from a new guy