Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Slippin Grips

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried everything from grip cement to hairsray and still cannot get the damn things to stick to the bars. What is the trick!! I now have a new set of grips, and the bar is thoroughly clean. I am able to get the inside end of the grip to somewhat stick. IT CAN'T BE THAT HARD!!!

Old 03-06-2000, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

Use plenty of glue. If they still slip, do like the motocrossers do and use some tie wire and wrap around them tight. you can cut the ends and tuck them into the soft grip with no snagging problem.

Old 03-06-2000, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have never been able to get the glue to work right. I use carb cleaner. make sure that the grip and the bars are super clean. Spray the bars and the inside of the grips with carberator cleaner. Immediatly put the grip on the bars. once the carb cleaner evaporates, you'll have to cut the grips to get them off. It works great. Some street bike places sell this stuff that is alcohol based that evaporates the same way, but the carb cleaner, I think, makes the rubber a little stick to help. By the way, not to insult your intellegence, but are you sure that you bought ATV grips? The throttle side of motorcycle grips are bigger than the other for the twist grip. This will give you a fit unless you have a twist grip throttle.

Old 03-06-2000, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, All I did was first put some good tape around your handlebars. Then you have to put enuff so that they don't slip. They'll be a little hard to get on but they sure won't come off. You just have to keep twisting them on a little at a time.

Old 03-06-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good point that esears brought up about cycle grips altho only one of them would be oversize & very obviously too large. You might try roughing up the bar ends with some course emery or sand paper first to give the adhesive more of a gripping surface.
I have used hair spray on my grips for years in competition & rec. riding and never had a
problem. I use the cheapest hard hold in a pump spray & cover the inside of the grip as well as the bar ends. After sliding them on, I let them sit for 24 hours to set up good before riding. /After they set up I use safety wire in three places on the grip...at each end & in the middle. Many brands of grips, have grooves for the wire, making it easier to get below the surface of the grip.
Hope this helps..just be sure to wait 24 hrs to ride.