Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior modifications or 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vladimir,
Since you arrived on the scene a little late,your hostility towards myself and sAyIt_fmf is somewhat understandable. The fact is that he did take our suggestion & edit his original post. The current one that you read made it entirely understandable to all.

Flight Warrior, I would have to agree with Vladimir for the most part. I ride a 97 Warrior which I bought prior to the introduction of the 400ex, & altho I am very satisfied with it, I think I'd have bought the Honda if it had been available. As it is, I have a fair amount invested in my ride, so I think I'll hold onto it till one or more of the new machines come out.
Bottom line..if you're going to buy something right away, I'd look hard at the Honda.

Old 03-13-2000, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all. Very good feedback. I am learning how to take more pleasure and security in the warrior. I am new on the "job" and your opinion were very grateful. I use to ride with a friend of mine which has an Polaris 400 and I considered his ATV better than mine, of course they are different, but the Polaris is very stable.

Old 03-13-2000, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Duster, I did say that's my oppinion and if you don't agree thats fine, and it is. Also I do know several national racers that do race both. Everyone say the 400EX handles BETTER than the 250R. I race Leslie Wells at a national style track, and she even said that with my ability, if I was on a built 400EX like my R is, there wouldn't be anybody that could keep up. No its not faster than an R, but in a long race, the 400EX can be ridden faster for longer, and the chassis doesn't beat you as bad as the stock 250R one does. Her, Brad Warner, and other national racers all say they hate ZPS suspension on the stock 250R frame, but love it on the 400EX, so yes, the 400EX chassis is a little better, not much, but enough (So all the hype must be for something and do you see 250R's with reverse?). And it ought to be better, its a new quad vs a 11 year old one, they better have improved them a little. Does this take away from the R, nope they will always be cosidered the best quad ever built, how many of what do you know is considered the best after 11 yrs without production? Honda could start production of the same R that was sold in 89 and it would make the 400EX sales look like nothing, but its about time something better comes out...like a 400EX style chassis with a CR stlyle quad engine... But even Tim Farr said he wishes the motos were 1 hour long, because his YZ400 Leager (Which he is running in the pro 250 class all season) can be ridden faster for much longer than anybody (But maybe Gust) on a 250R can, they don't tire you, so maybe the 4-strokes will start taking over, who knows. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future thats for sure...

Also, your telling me a new Warrior costs $3,900 or less new? I don't think so, they are close to a 400EX in price, I'm not exactly sure on a price of a Warrior, but I can go to my local dealer and get a new 400EX for $5,300; a Warrior can't be much less than that if any.

Sickman

Old 03-14-2000, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

After riding a modified '98 Warrior, I was surprised how quick it really was... very close to my '00 400EX. However, the Yamaha engine and ride isn't nearly as smooth. Not to put down the Warrior, but a 12-year old design has limitations. Expect something new and improved from Yamaha soon.

Old 03-15-2000, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider

SICKMAN,

I am by no means trying to start an EX v/s R arguement. Everone is certainly entitled to there opinion. I think it's fine if you like your EX. If it works better for you, GREAT. Honda made something new to your liking. I wasn't trying to put it down in reference to the R.

I'm entitled to my opinion too. I think it is better than the R in certain areas. My favorite area to pick on is the EX is new, as I see you like to do too. I welcome any new sport quad. However, in my opinion (while I have now been brought to this subject) I believe the handling improvement you all have taken notice to is the smooth, predictable powerband of the 4-stroke. It makes the EX far less a handfull. But, as far as precision turning and handling the EX leaves something to be desired (not that it's much) in the hotseat. This comes via the taller suspension, thus causing higher seat height and center of gravity. The EX is clearly much taller than a bone stock R. But, trade-off's are part of life I guess.

My next opinion my come as a suprise to you, but I'm SICK of the raving praise the R recieves. I was in to racing bigtime '86-'90. I raced 2 '89 R's in the '89 season. I considered them somewhat of a stepdown from the '88 LT250R & '87 Tecate 4. I went back to my LT250R in '90 depite my sucess in '89 and added a '90 LT500R to my roster as well. I considered both the '87 & '88 a better set up for the races I ran with them.

Now, as far as prices, I wish they were as good here. I went to the local Honda joint to check out the 400EX for '00. I had really considered getting one. But the sticker said $6,399 plus all the other charges. The dealer wouldn't budge ANY cash!! (Quads are HIGH here) So, while I was toying with the thought of going to get $5,000 cash loan, I hopped over to the Yamaha dealer only to find the same situation on a Warrior for $4,949. (Team Alba sells for that+fees) So, that makes it at least a $1,450 difference. Lots can be done to a Warrior for that.

I even offered to buy my wife and I both a Blaster and couldn't get a 2-4-$5 or $6 deal. He laughed and said "I HAVE NO-PROB GETTIN' $3,799". We get ripped off here. The cheapest quad is $3,378 cash for a Trailblazer.

It's hard for me to justify over $5,000 for 1 much less $6,399. I'll end up with a Mojave or 1 of the Polaris models probably. They are the only ones close to MSRP here.

Old 03-15-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well as usual, a good post turns into an unrealistic comparisons. They original post was to modify a warrior, or get a 400ex. Suddenly we're talking about 250R's........

Facts and data people. I did the full warrior mod. 400cc big bore stroker motor with suspension and tire mods. Present investment is about 2/3 the price of a new STOCK 400ex. I've yet to run up against one, (its in the works with a buddy)

This is a dessert racer type set-up, and I love the speed and power. Its no where near close to a stocker.

Want more info? See my 400cc Wicked Warrior here:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~crainic/Powroll_grunt.htm

Since many of the posts don't respond to the original post or relate to it at all, the thread is now closed. Please address comments to the original poster or use the chat room for debates. Thank for your cooperation. atvbbs