Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new pics of mods on my grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jeff,
i had a ball riding with you too. it is nice to ride with someone who loves mud just like i do. you showed me alot about the mounds, and now i know my limits there. i am glad to hear your quad is o.k., you went pritty deep on that one. i will be snorkling my intake soon, so i'll get the bastard hole for ya, lmao!!! by the way, you quad looks as good as factory in yllow, and should be shone to yamaha so they will finally make a yellow one! i will definetally be emailing you next time i make it to the mounds!!!
laters, Ron

my pictures

Old 06-05-2002, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mich;
Thanks for the mod pictures.
I have been having trouble with the carb. heat. I spend alot of time in low range creeping. It has been vapor locking under extensive use.
As soon as my tires are worn out I plan on getting a set of the tires. Did they change your low end torque? and are they rougher riding?
I stoped at the dealer today to see if they had an answer for the heat problem.
By the way, that was some serious air for a 600 lb machine.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

hey jonesey,
i hope some of my pics helped ya out. as for the vapor locking due to heat. i have never experianced it. to make sure i never do, i did the cutting on the side panels. i can only tell ya, the 5 holes i put into the side panels( using a 2 1/4 wood hole cutter) has releaced so much heat, and steam, my fan runs half the time. i know about not wanting to cut on the griz, but it is a problem solver. the factory wants us to install a heat kit, and heat tape. it involves taking things apart, and spending money. my mod took me about 10 minutes, and cost nothing, so it is all good to me!
as for the tires slowing me down. they did make me loose half a step off the line, but opening up the exhaust gave me 4 steps, lol. i can pull a wheely in low off the line now, just by relieving some back pressure off the engine!
i do feel the lugs on the tires from 0 to 5 mph, then they smooth right out. the offset on the rims is godsent! it gave me so much more stability over stock, even though i'm taller . i do alot of trailriding, and i find the tires to be great! i would recommend 589 titans to anyone. i havent seen other tires make it through anything i cant. i can powerslide them easy, and traction is ausome!
since i took the pics of me jumping, i have gone alot further. i find by putting the shocks all the way up, i can get real good air and it doesn't seem to be harming the frame or drivetrain. at my friends house, i got about 8 ft high, and covered about 35 ft to a smooth landing. i just goose it while hitting the jump, and the quad floats sooo smooth, it isn't hardly work to land it on all 4. i did have to cut the plastic on both rear sides to clear the tires when jumping, but what ya gunna do, lol.

my pictures

Old 06-06-2002, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply mich.
I built a new pipe dump for the exhaust today. I used stainless for the mounting plate and welded a 1 1/2 axhaust pipe elbow so that it still looks factory. she has a deep throaty sound to it now but its not much louder unless you jump into it hard.
The dealer sujested going with a different air cleaner, so we will try that next week. I just am having a hard time cutting holes in the side covers. that is alot of extra heat that would go against my leg. BUT, if all else fails, then I'll have to vent it like you did.
Thanks again D.J.

Old 06-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

I wish I would've tried this before getting the HMF. Don't get me wrong, it is well woth the money, it looks great, and the performance is amazing. The problem is that it is VERY LOUD! I like the sound of it, but the volume is WAY too high. But in my opinion, the performance gains are well worth the noise.

Old 06-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

mich660griz~

Thanks for the post.

Please tell me more about the bored out exhaust:

I went to your pictures.

How did you do it?
How much has the volume increased?

I am thinking that I may need to do the same thing. With the K&N air filter I am running more air into the engine. Now I have to let more air out the back end to match it and get the full potential of the improved air filter.

I am also going to the the bore holes in the cowling. I had the machine vapor-lock this past weekend. Out on the trail, the only alternative was to take the cowling off and let the engine cool down.

Old 06-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

ratman~ How much did the K&N help your performance? Did you do any re-jetting along with it? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

4x4mudslinger~

I only noticed increased torque off of the line. Maybe it has improved in other areas of the power band, in fact it probably has. I just don't know how to measure the difference accurately.

No I have not re-jetted. The only negative I have noticed is a slightly more pronounced 'pop' in the exhaust when I shut the engine down. It did the same thing before, just not as pronounced. It is not a back-fire. I think it may be the piston aspirating.

Old 06-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

hey ratman,
the exhaust is really easy if you own a welder ( mig) and a cutoff wheel. unbolt the exhaust end. take a 10 to 12 inch drill bit, i used a 3/8 in. drill 12 to 15( depending on drill size) into the baffle on the muffler through the hole in the rear.
take the spark arrester off the exhaust pipe,it is spot welded on, so i carefully ground it off. then using the cutoff wheel, cut off the exhaust pipe from the inside right against the plate. this will leave a hole 1 3/4 inch in the plate. go get a 1 1/2 in i.d. pipe end, enxtension, so on, from an autoparts store. it fits in nice and tight. weld it on welding all the way around. grind down the weld, but dont grind through the cover. slide on the spark arrester, and bolt it all back together!!! total time to do mine( taking my time) was about an hour!
asfor the sound level, it is minor at best. it has a lower growl to it, and is louder, but not overwelming at all. personally, i love how it sounds now, compared to before!
as for the holes in the side covers, it is a MUST for this quad. my fan runs 1/2 as much, and i have NEVER overheated, or boiled gas.
good luck!!!

my pictures

Old 06-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

mich660griz~

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to do the heat dissipation holes in the cowling for sure.

I also appreciate your input on the exhaust. I haven't taken the thing apart yet, but I think I am following you. Basically you are drilling out the baffle in the front of the muffler unit itself. That I understand.
My question is this:
What is the goal of changing out the tail pipe?
Are you adding more diameter to the tail pipe to occomidate the extra perforations in the muffler?

Quick Reply: new pics of mods on my grizzly