Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

JUST BOUGHT A 01 RAPTOR GOT A COUPLE Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you turn the switch on does the fan come on? If so they by passed the sensor. You will have to use the switch until you wire everything back the way it suppose to be.

As for testing the sensor. Take it out. Attatch 2 wires to it. One on each terminal. You will need an ohm meter. Attach the leads of the ohm meter to the wires. Drop the switch in boiling water. Or hotter than what the sensor is set to close at anyway. Once the sensor closes the contacts because of the water temp heating up you will get a reading on the ohm meter. There will be no reading until the sensor heats up and the contacts close. If anyone has a easier way please chime in. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2002, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

I went to the Yoshi web site it is one of there Silencers with the stock pipe,
I felt up in the top of the snorkel and it feels like there are still some large flaps in ther, so with this silencer and the flaps what should it be jetted at now at standard altitude????????

Lets say i cut out the Flaps then what???

I plan to ride it alot in the winter times do i have to rejet it themn like a 2 stroke??

Thanks guys.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

When you turn the switch on does the fan come on?

Yes, i believe he did this because he did not trust the sensor to do its job, so he just ran the fan constantly??? Which is not all together stupid because if these fans only run once in a great while how would you notice if your sensor was out??????
Then it may be to late??

I went to alba and looked they show two sensors i wonder if this is a mistake??

On the other hand a fan assembly is $350
not sure I want to have to buy one of those.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

using dyno jet jet's and needles at sealevel run the needles at the 2nd or third clip down use 150/155 jet's ,remove the snorkel all together, buy a proflow airfilter setup ,also buy a automotive air line tee for the crankcase breather line to be tee'd back into the filter system. this system will be a great improvement over stock . take a close look at the air box some of theses modd's might have been done already. alot of people that have installed a pipe also installed jet kit's and airbox modds ..they go hand in hand.

Honestly, I am going to leave it all alone as it has plenty of power for the riding i do, I just need to know should it have been rejetted when he added the yoshi Silencer (pipe is still stock)

thanks

Old 06-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, you sound confused...well you are. ok im going to clear somethings up for ya k? 1.) where are you located? you said alba and im guessing around the POWAY area...i live in rancho bernardo, near poway. 2.) the pipe that is on your bike you said has weird numbers that look like a backwards 3, and a 47....that is a yoshimura exhaust pipe...so no it is NOT a stock pipe, the stock raptor bike is black....the one you have is aftermarket and it DOES need to be rejetted, if do not rejet your bike after doing something as simple as putting on a new airfilter you will run the risk of having the motor run lean, and lean is a BAD BAD thing, your engine will burn up (and i mean overheat but you will lose performance) so since you sound confused, since you live near alba, take it to abla ASAP!! have them dyno it for you to see if its jetting right...and they will jet it right on...and have them look over the bike. And where do your ride/how old are you? I wouldnt really worry about the 2k1 tranny....if it goes, it goes...But 2k2 trannys are re-geared for more power out of the engine, so 2k2 will run better gear wise and stronger wise.

Old 06-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

Don't take this the wrong way as it is not meant with disrespect, I have been riding 30 year and have only taken one bike into be serviced at a shop, At all costs i hate to pay them yahoos $45 an hour to do something I can do with a manual and some questions and answers from other garage minded folks like yourself, I hate Stealerships!!

I just wanted to know what should the jetting typically be with the Silencer being the only mod done??

I really do appreciate all your help.
By the way I am in MN

Old 06-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You could always call up Yoshimura and tell them you have their slip on pipe and would like jetting specs for it. tell them your altitude as well. They should be able to tell you what jetting to use. Then you'll have to take out your carbs and see whats in there. If the main jets have a DJ146 type number you have a dyno jet kit already installed. If they just have a number like 140 then you have the stock jets. Change them to whatever Yoshimura reccomended.

Old 06-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

Maybee to answer alot of question you should pull the carbs and see what jet you really have. It maybe have all been done and you have nothing to do but ride![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Take your carbs off and see whatr main jets are in. I believe stock is 140/145. If it was not rejeted I would go buy some jets from the yamaha shop like 150/155/160 and try that setup. rejetting sucks at first because you have to take all the front fenders off, the tank and airbox to get carbs off. it gets easier each time though. When you take the airbox off I reccomend cutting the little tabs half way off. so the next time you dont have to take off rear fender to get airbox off