Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

JUST BOUGHT A 01 RAPTOR GOT A COUPLE Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 08:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Made the jump no where to go but down now!
the raptor i bought Is pretty much stock except these two things which i could use some help with,
1. The previous owner put in a toggle switch to be able to run the fan constantly, Is this common??? i tried to get it ot come on automatically and did not want it to get to hot but it did not come on, how hot do they have to get???? is this switch going to cause a problem if i run it constantly??

2.The silencer is aftermarket, its oval and only has some strange symbols on it looks kind of like a 3:47 but not sure.

Would appreciate any help.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

A few things you should know about the 01 Raptor ..it has a weak transmission ..I have only heard of them going out ( 2nd and 3rd gear clogs ) with modifications...even as simple a a slip-on pipe ..which yours sounds like a yoshimura (basically factory Yamaha)good pipe...there is a couple fixes to make your transmission better ...you can completely update the tranny from '01 to '02 for about $480 dollars from the yamaha dealer and do all the work yourself or have them do it because the yamaha service manual says 3.5 hours total to get the motor in and out on the chassis..so figure about $45.00/hr for labor ...Or you can get the machined gear set (second and third)from FST should be less then $480 but not as good and still have to put it in yourself or the dealer ...The replacement gear set only fixes the cog problems but you still have a 2001 tranny which is geared taller ...the temperature sensor on the fan switch is also known for going out ...basically the only time you need the fan is when you are not moving or working the motor hard like racing or playing in the mud ..the basic idea is that if there is air going over the radiator then you don't need the fan to do it for you...running it all the time under these conditions should not pose a problem .. hope I helped

2001 Raptor
Embarrass River Atv Association

Old 05-31-2002, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

<< A few things you should know about the 01 Raptor ..it has a weak transmission ..I have only heard of them going out ( 2nd and 3rd gear clogs ) with modifications...even as simple a a slip-on pipe ..which yours sounds like a yoshimura (basically factory Yamaha)good pipe...there is a couple fixes to make your transmission better ...you can completely update the tranny from '01 to '02 for about $480 dollars from the yamaha dealer and do all the work yourself or have them do it because the yamaha service manual says 3.5 hours total to get the motor in and out on the chassis..so figure about $45.00/hr for labor ...Or you can get the machined gear set (second and third)from FST should be less then $480 but not as good and still have to put it in yourself or the dealer ...The replacement gear set only fixes the cog problems but you still have a 2001 tranny which is geared taller ...the temperature sensor on the fan switch is also known for going out ...basically the only time you need the fan is when you are not moving or working the motor hard like racing or playing in the mud ..the basic idea is that if there is air going over the radiator then you don't need the fan to do it for you...running it all the time under these conditions should not pose a problem .. hope I helped

Also the Clutch Baskets are weak under any modifications ...another thing is they don't tell you that you have to pull the motor out just to change the clutch..when you have the motor out to change the gears change the clutch basket.
2001 Raptor
Embarrass River Atv Association
>>

Old 05-31-2002, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

Thanks,
So is this Silencer a stock yamaha or a yamaha racing series ????

As far as this tranny business, i will probably never do any mods to this monster as long as i own it, it has plenty for the little trail riding i do. So why Is it only on htese boards do i hear about these tranny problems, the guys I speak with who own 01's don't seem to have any of these problems, how likely is this problem to occur if I just take it easy and ride my age?????

Also ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS THE MOTOR HAS TO BE PULLED TO DO THE CLUTCH???

Appreciate the input.

Old 05-31-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

No the motor doesn't have to be pulled to remove the clutch!! You do have to leave the bolt in the left rear hole of the clutch cover going off &amp; on because it's not accessable once the clutch cover is on the engine. You have to finess it but it will go off &amp; on with out even loosening the motor mounts.

The only trans I personally know that has gone out was on a heavily moded 01 on alky.
They are weaker than the 02's but don't worry till you have too.

The toggle switch is probably there because a sensor or relay is broke. You need to figure out what's broke &amp; fix it. My fan only comes on after long slow trail rides, I just open it up &amp; get some air flow through the radiator &amp; it goes off. My temp light has never come on. Your fan will wear out quickly if ran all the time they are not designed for constant use.

I need more info to identify your pipe.

The southern engeneering on your fan worries me for another reason. It tells me the person before you either didn't know how to take care of it or just didn't bother to take care of it. This is a red flag for me!

Ask the guy if he rejetted after installing the pipe, If he didn't you need to rejet immedeatly!!

Buy a factory service manual. It'll make tinkering on it much easier.
Adjust the valves (he may have never done this)
Change the oil (same reason)
Change spark plug (same reason)
Generally go over the whole quad &amp; assume nothing has ever been done to it.

Look in to the snorkle on the air box lid if there are flaps sticking in it, cut them out &amp; you have found some cheap HP. You will need to rejet after you cut them out. If you can't figure out if it's there or not (or just don't understand what the HE!! I'm talking about) Email me &amp; I'll send you some pics.

I recomend the Dynojet stage 2 kit for rejetting.

Old 05-31-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats!! You do not have to pull the motor to change the plates or the basket. Second the amount of tranny faliures is actually pretty small when compared to the # of Raptors out there. Don't lose any sleep over it, just ride hard &amp; have fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2002, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The first response you get is a tranny problem. LMAO. Ouch. I was going to tell you not to worry about it, but others chimed in and did that for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The likely hood of it happening to you is minimal.

As for the fan. Mine hardly ever comes on. My brothers DS comes on all the time. The Raptor has great airflow accross the radiator, because of how its positioned. Also the cylinder head has a few small fins to help dissapate the heat. Others have given reasons for why their may be a switch installed, look into that.

Check the jetting, stock is 140 left carb and 145 right carb. If thats what is in yours get some small round mikuni jets from your local dealer and jet up a size or 2. Maybe be at a 150/155 or 155/160 depending on what your altittude is.

Get a Yamaha Raptor service manual. $50+ at your dealer or online at www.albaaction.com

Enjoy your new toy.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

Well then let me just assume we ride in different conditions or something ..because my second gear was slipping shortly after installing a new hinson plate,basket,etc. and my Raptor is only 7 months old [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2002, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

How much is a service manual? I have one and it was $42 Canadian, which is about $28 US. If you are paying $50 US you should find a Canadian deal and start a mail order with them. Maybe there are other Yamaha parts that you can get there cheap too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

Thank You everyone for the info, first of all i am at standard alttitude for jetting,
I will be riding mostly in the open areas and seldom in tight trails so for now i will probably just turn on the fan when i am not in the open, I really want tot get a manual to soak it all into my brain, its a different hog than any other machine I have owned. anyone know how to test the sensor for the fan switch???

Quick Reply: JUST BOUGHT A 01 RAPTOR GOT A COUPLE Questions????