Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

St Anthony Sand Dunes, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Wyoduner, I will check your site as soon as I am done with this reply. I have a self contained trailer and I bring my own shade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The quads are all registered with green stickers (a California requirement) and we have whips. What are his rules? Can you ride up to your camp spot? How are they with aftermarket pipes? The Alba pipe is not overly loud but its still louder than the stocker? TIA

Old 06-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

The sand dunes camp site has really no problem with noise but you do need a whip flag. I have seen big block rails staying at the campsite with no complaints so I think that your alba pipe will be fine LOL. You can ride to your spot but STAY OFF THE GRASS as they would put it. They are real sticklers when it come to that and that is where most people have a hard time but it is really a nice camp area and it does have full hookups. They are also real tough about quite hours as they live at the camp site and will throw you out if you break that rule after being warned!

Old 06-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks DS, your just making my decision harder. LOL I'd prefer the facilities to make life better for the wife. Maybe I will get to stay longer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have no problem following their rules.

Wyoduner, Thats one hell of a collection you have on your pages. Thank You. St Anthonys looks so much sweeter than Little Sahara. Alot of brush and rocks and things at Little Sahara. I saw plenty of open areas there also though. Is there sand from the camping areas that lead into the dunes or will there be some dirt/gravel areas that we will have to ride on to get to the Dunes? This is from the Oasis area. The hill camping area looked ok for access to the dunes. TIA

Old 06-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well I hope that you don't mind me replying again but here it goes.....Oasis has about a 1/2 mile ride or dirt and gravel before you hit sand. It is really not to bad I ride it with my padla brats and my buddies have haulers and they seem to not get damaged it you keep out of the throttle. It is about 3 to 5 miles to the mountain from oasis and there is a clear trail the whole way that is all sand.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't mind you answering at all DS. I appreciate it. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, and I need some. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You have it, I'll take it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Where are the campgrounds loacated in relation to the road that leads into Little Sahara? TIA

Old 06-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin, Don't put too much credit in my L.S. pictures, my camera broke after about 1 day so my pics aren't too great. L.S. has LOTS of open space to ride the only rocky parts are at the top of the mountain. Oasis is a nice place to camp but yes, you do have to ride on hardpack/gravel/and probably pavement depending on where you camp. Take it slow on this stuff for safety's sake and the sake of your paddles and you'll be fine.

Here's a comparison of the 2 places:

L.S., Utah: BIG mountain but gets boring unless you just love to hillshoot all day. Best bowls I've ever seen behind the mountain; these are full 360 degree bowls, you can ride the full circle of the bowl. Good hills to run up on the front and backside of the mountain; fun and some are pretty challenging. The part of the dunes near Oasis are smaller but a lot of fun for jumping and just carving and tearing up the sand; some people like this part the best. Hotter than St. Anthony. I think the dunes are about 50,000 acres - big.

St. Anthony, ID: The Sand Hills resort is located near the smaller dunes. These are a lot like the smaller dunes at L.S. and good for carving and jumping. The big dunes are the claim to fame here. There is a TON of huge steep walls to climb and shoot around. Chokecherry and Devil's Dune are truly challenging hillclimbs. Just GETTING to these places is a challenge; last trip out there there was a guy on a 300ex there and we tried and tried but could not find a way for him to get to the top of Chokecherry by coming around back. There are more big dunes here than you will know what to do with. There are some good bowls but not the nice round type like at L.S.; they are mostly STEEP on the sides and a little scary at first - many are more like funnels than bowls.

If you could spend 2 days at each place you would be happy I think.

Also, if you do plan on staying at the Sand Hills resort you need to call now to make reservations; they are booked solid most of the summer.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

The camp ground is after you go throught the ranger station and there are signs that you can't miss that lead you to it. The one nice thing is that the dump station is right at the entrance to the camp grounds and it makes it easy to dump on the way out.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent information guys. Thanks. Hillshooting is fun for a little while. My experience with dunes is a one time trip to Glamis for a day. I want to ride the bowls and cruise the dunes mostly. get some more experience riding out of one bowl and into another etc. Spending 2 days at each of these 2 places would be excellent and will depend on the weather at LS. St.A i'm feel will not be a problem to spend 2 days or more there. Appreciate the information and am looking forward to this vacation like no other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Fishing, Duneing, and trail riding in some of the most beautiful places in the world is what I call a great vacation.

Old 06-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

When you get to the St.Anthony dunes. You will see Two buttes to the north, They are called the junipers. the east side is the main body of ridable pleasure dunes. you can ride sand all the way around to the south west side of the junipers. That is where you will find the big cahoonas, like north crapo and ect.very tall and some have a lip on the north side. If you go east across the red rock road, you can get into some rolling dunes. Have fun. DJ