Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help, Grizzly Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 1999 Grizzly and put 45 miles on it, I'm still following the owners manual break in schedule. It runs great, but my concern is I have small rattle or ping at low RMP, ever since I got it. I assumed it was just normal break in noise, However, yesterday I noticed it got louder. I stoped checked my oil and the level looked wierd. Im no mechanic, and this is my first ATV. But the oil looked like it was real watery & had a charcol color to it. Could I have got water in my OIL? I rode it straight home and put it up. I planned on going to the dealer tonight and getting an oil filter and some yamalube and was going to make my first oil change sooner than later. Is that ok? Should I take it in to the dealer? It still runs fine, Just sounds funny at low RPM's I checked that little water guage under the air box and it did have some water in there. I have crossed a couple creeks but nothing deeper than the 10-12"
I have never rode a Grizzly before maybe this is normal. Could the valves need adjustment already?
If that is water in the oil, How did it get there? isn't that case sealed?

Old 03-08-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it. It might not be nothing or it could be something. I don't believe that I would want to play around with water in my oil.

Old 03-08-2000, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Well I am not sure its water. But it doesn't look like the clean oil it had when I bought it.

It is really black/charchole color. And when I shake the bike back and forth it moves/flows back and forth real easy. I didn't think 20-50 oil or whatever it has in it would be like that.

I am wondering if the noise I am hearing is the valves needing adjustment. Maybe its just the way a grizzly sounds. Like I said it hasn't changed its performance. It still runs awsome. Tons of power just chaters alot.,

Water is heavier than OIL isn't it? The more I think about I don't think its water. If it was I wouldn't see it or there would be 2 distink colors through the view window.

Other Grizzly owners. Do they kinda rattle a bit just a little above idle but not quite mid throtle?

Old 03-08-2000, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2000 Grizz that rattles some but I think that is part of the ultramatic belt drive it has.I am not a mechanic nor a long time atv owner but I would say that is normal for the grizzly.As far as the pinging noise I had that and put in some higher octane gas and it took it away.I know how you feel about the noises when I got mine (3 weeks ago)I was really wacked out by the sounds and called my dealer and that is what I was told and found other comments the same on the internet.What the heck I got six months to work it out with the warranty.I put on a high lifter lift kit and some Blackwater XT's and I love it.Now I am worrying about the the CV joints.I hope this helps you out some and I hope you enjoy it it is a great machine!Good luck

Old 03-08-2000, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Ridgerunner,

My '00 Grizzly does not make any rattling noise from the engine that I have not noticed on other ATV's I have owned. As a matter of fact, the grizzly is quieter than either of my Kawasaki 220's, in terms of rattles. This is probably because it is a more sophisticated engine.

Everyones ears are tuned to different sounds, and everyone has different definitions of "rattles" and "pings". The only sound I have heard that is not supposed to be there (whining of belt, noisy starter for about a second after starting) turned out to be the fuel gage. It vibrates and rattles like crazy from just above idle to about 3/4 throttle. Try pushing down on the fuel gage when you hear the rattle and see if it changes. This may be oversimplified, but you never know.

Yammer_Hummer

Old 03-08-2000, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

if you feel that its the valves then get a piece of wood or a long socket extension that you can use as a listening device. Hold it against the head and listen to the sounds that your engine is making

Old 03-10-2000, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

I would drain your oil into a clean bucket and inspect the oil for metal shavings, water, etc and see if you can determine whats making it grey. Metal will look like glitter in the oil - on a new bike I wouldn't be too concerned with small amounts of glitter, just change the oil and inspect it again later. To check for water, you can stir up the drained oil and pour some into a glass jar and let it settle. The water will settle at the bottom of the glass and the oil will float on top.

As far as the rattles go, the Ultramatic is more than likely what you're hearing. That thing is only quiet when you first buy it or put new "Grizz" Grease in your primary clutch sheave. After I installed my new clutch weights, I repacked the clutch sheave with "Grizz" grease and this made it quiet again. It's gradually getting noisy again though. Everyone I know that has a Grizzly has mentioned the noisy belt drive or the starter that continues to spin for a few seconds after you start the engine.

The solution to all this is to buy a Sony Walkman with headphones and crank up the volume. My Grizzly runs like a champ with headphones on!

Old 03-10-2000, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

YamaHonda,you mentioned that you put new clutch weights do you notice A big difference in your bike ,I just orderd A set for my Grizzly from Highlifter I hope it helps because my '00 does not pull my 27 inch tires like my 98 did,anyway the Grizzly is one loud bike the engine & tranny both.

Old 04-04-2000, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

I changed my oil at around 140miles, I know it was a little early. But I just wanted to be safe. It looked fine, there was no water in there and nothing wierd looking. I also took your advice. I took a long screw driver and put my ear to it. The noise I am hearing is comming from the top of the head. I sort of concluded that it is my valves needing adjustment. I plan on taking it into the dealer for its first real service in a few weeks. I'll have them look it over good at that time.

Old 04-05-2000, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

You bet you can feel a difference. It lowers your rpm's and also helps your motor run cooler. Since you run 27inch tires you might want to buy the clutch kit designed for the Griz pulling oversized tires. It will help you out greatly.