Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 Grizzly parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 03:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped at the dealer and looked at the brake levers on both the Big Bear and the Grizzly. They are set up exactly the same, so I went to the parts desk and ordered the parking brake lock for the Big Bear. Looks to me like this will fit perfectly on the grizzly brake lever and will eliminate the need to put the stupid thing in PARK every time I stop it on any incline. Park works fine, but is kind of a pain if I'm just stopping for a second real quick. When it comes in next week, I should have the best of both worlds.

Old 06-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Sweet, I'll have to tell my friend who has a grizz 660 about that. It does seem like it would be a pain if you just wanna stop for a second. I have a P650 and i always use my break lever lock...it's so simple...thanks for the tip

Old 06-07-2002, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Andy~ I never thought of that. It's a hell of an idea tho. You gotta tell me how that turns out. I agree that it is a pain to have to put it in park if your just gonna get off for a second. Damn thats a good idea.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

great Idea. hope it works and I hope you let us know which lever you end up with.
I asked a dealer if there was a way to install a lever for front and back combined. The only thing we could come up with was to put another brake caliper (hydraulic) on the rear disc.

Old 06-08-2002, 03:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its not the actual lever, just the little tab that you push down to lock. Same as yamaha has always used on utilities. The lever itself is identical to the Big Bear and has the bolt there to hold the parking lock, as well as the small raised part beside it to hold it in place. It will work no doubt. Something I've thought of a few times, but never at a time when I was near the dealership. It will be in next week and I'll let you know about it.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Im anxious to see if this works, Id like to have a parking brake too. It sux when your pointed downhill and put the Griz in park, then you have to rock it back to take it out of park, a brake lock would be much better.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Andy, got that parking brake yet?

Old 06-20-2002, 04:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I put it on today. Looks like it was supposed to be there the whole time. Didn't ride it yet to see how it will hold, but it holds the lever back as much as it would on any other yamaha. I guess it will ultimately depend on how far back you have to have the lever pulled to hold good, but I figure it will work out. Its about a 2 minute fix. As long as it takes to take off one bolt, put it in place and put the bolt back in. One 10mm wrench and one 10mm socket is all that you need. Easy quick fix that will be worth a lot down the line. No more messing with the selector anymore.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

Andy~

Do you have any pics of your parking brake mod? And if you don't mind, how much did it set you back? Thanks.

~Scott~

Old 06-21-2002, 03:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't have any pics. It looks just like it would look on a big bear 400. Same entire setup. The parts are identical. Damn thing was like $15 bucks, but I could have pissed that away on a CD of Britney Spears or Hanson and had nothing to show.

$15 is BS, but for a $7000 quad, its not hell on earth. It will pay off easily down the line for the sheer fact that I won't have to mess with the shifter anytime I stop on a hill.

If you want it, just order the parking lock for the big bear. Like I said, its the same exact brake lever. Just take the bolt out, slide the lock mechanism over the hole and put the bolt back in. Voila! Instant 660 parking brake.

Quick Reply: 02 Grizzly parking brake