Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fender Cutting.......Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well is it? does cutting your fenders to racing style(I guess thats what you call it) really help w/ aerodynamics and weight? any pros and cons will be appreciated, thanks

warrior350megamax

Old 06-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

The only Con I can think of is that it throws some mud on you when cornering, but hey, if you go out riding, I hope you aren't trying to stay clean.

Pros: You can see your tires, which is a nice thing on a rough rutted up track... you may not think that you look at where your tires are, but if you really pay attention to what you're doing in a race, you would be suprised at how much you really do.

For some, there is a wind resistance issue but I don't think it's much of a problem on the C-dales. On my old 300ex, the fenders were like those parachutes that come out of the back of dragsters... they catch a LOT of air, and especially on windy days, you can feel the quad slow down in the air and pitch around without you making it.

Also, it looks cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You can check out my pics at my website. Sign my guest book and let me know what you think of my website! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

I serously doubt that it helps with speed, I think it kinda looks like crap
myself.

Old 06-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, I don't think it would be a problem with my C-dale but on my 300ex, those fenders are like big bowls that catch a lot of air. I don't know about how it affects speed (I don't think drag racing would be much of an issue on a 300ex) but I know for a FACT that on a breezy day, you can feel the wind pitchin you around when it catches those fenders (when you are mid air on the track).

If you just ride around on trails and stuff, I wouldn't shave the fenders.

As for looks, I like the looks of shaved fenders (if it's done right), but some might not. Everyone has their own opinions, but if you shave the fenders, make them "flare" instead of just cutting along the edge. I notice a lot of Banshee riders make that mistake... they just cut it along the bottom with out any flare and that truely does look kinda ugly.

Old 06-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

i had the 300ex fenders shaved also, buti just bought new plastic lol, i think it helps alot on the 300ex like yodaddy said, and also makes the quad look fierce, and fast/narrow, the fenders on the 300ex, are truley ridiculous looking, looks to much like the 90...... they should redothe plastic on them, make em like the 400ex kinda.....

Old 06-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I also like the looks of the shaved plastic.
Both of our 250R's have the front plastic shaved.

Old 06-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Trail riding NO
You will get muddy when cornering

Racing YES
Less wind resistence and you can also see what you are doing better

For extra speed YES
They say you can be losing as much as 5 mph on your top end when going over 90mph

Plan on going that fast?

Old 06-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

well ive only got a warrior which I guess goes about 60-65 pinned since it has a 14T front sproket but anyway i ride on some trail where it's flat gravel and it's pinned, also i dont have the braket for the front fenders and they move a lot, does shaving the rear help any? thanks for all that had posted already and yet to come

warrior350megamax

Old 06-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

Get a friend to drive you down the road in a car and hold a ping pong paddle in your hand and stick it out the window. Then hold a object considerably smaller and compare. Your fenders are bigger than that. Ever held your hand out the window at 55 mph? Its like a parachute huh? Any speed over about 40mph sustained, a quad will will benefit from cutting the fenders. For drag racing its a cheap trick,for mud riding and flat tracking, no. Get two four wheelers that run identical top end or close and remove the front fenders and check the results. Thats why when people race quads or motorcycles they lay down for less wind resistance. Me personnaly, I havent been able to cut my 02s pretty black plastic yet. I think the Raptors fenders and front end sets it apart from the rest. I probably will eventually cut them though for that little edge.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:26 PM
Fez
Range Rover

It depends what quad you do it to. I did it to my blaster and it looks sweet. All the ex's and r's look good with um cut to( x's too) But warrior dont and either do raptors. Banshees look good wiht them off.

Quick Reply: Fender Cutting.......Is it worth it?