Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am used to a Honda Foreman, and am new to riding with a clutch. I got my new Raptor, have about 10 hours on it now, and have some questions about starts, and shifting, and a few miscellaneous items. I have a heck of a time with quick starts. From a dead stop, I can start it rolling, and then go fine. When I try to do a quick take off, I kill it most of the time. How do you guys do it? I've even scooted up on the gas tank, and dumped the clutch, and the same thing happens. Also, last time I was out, I was cruising on some fire roads pretty good. A few times I got excited and upshifted, without using the clutch (on accident), it worked fine, but was wondering what kind of damage I might be doing when that happens.

Oh, one more question. I have read previous posts where people claim they rarely have their fans come on. Mine runs pretty hot, and the fan comes on a lot. Could the dealer have done something to make it run too lean, causing it to run that hot? I am breaking it in, so I really don't ride it that hard. My wife rides it around the neighborhood, and out in the field across the street, she does tend to bog it a lot, will that cause it to run hot?

In regards to break in. It looks like I don't need to do anything until I put the 20 hours in, but I have seen guys post that they changed the oil, plug, and adjusted the valves at 10 hours. Any reason for doing this?

I was going to have the dealer do the first 20 hour maintenance, but I just ordered the manual from Alba, cause I just don't want to pay them any more cash.

Also, how many of you paid for an extended warranty?

Ok, I'm rambling now, but I'm also confused about airboxes. When I get a pipe and the K&N power kit (which includes the jets?), I get a different air filter. But there are aftermarket air filter boxes made of aluminum. Do those replace the existing airbox, or go somewhere else?

On jetting. I live at 1400', and put around the field. When I go do any real riding, I am at 4500'. Does that mean I should change the jetting between locations?

Thanks for everyone's helping out a newbie in advance. I love this forum. I check out the posts daily. When I had my choice of quads narrowed down betwen the DS, Raptor, and C-Dale, I used this forum to help me make the final decision. You guys give some great information. It's nice to find a place where I can hear from other, more experienced riders.

Old 06-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

On the quick starts, I found out that with the recomended pressure in the rear tires they get a lot of bite. I pumped mine up to 10 psi & I can get more slip from them. But the rapp[y is light in the nose & likes to wheelie on quick starts regardless.

Speed shifting shouldnt be a prob as long as the timing is right on the shifts.

Stock Raptors are slightly lean from the factory. The Dynojet kit will fix that. Bogging a new Raptor is not good for it,when breaking in the motor avoid going above 6500 rpm's & bogging. Also don't keep it at steady rpms, vary the rpm's regularly. Riding around slowly will cause the engine to heat up, it's got a big A$$ motor & needs to have air flowing thru the radiator to keep it's cool. Overheating while breaking in is also a no-no.

I changed my oil at 10 hours the first time, It's cheap insurance.
Now I change oil, filter, plug & adjust the valves every 20 hours.
Yamaha recomends changing the filter every 2nd oil change but I changed it every oil change.
Now I have a reuseable oil filter, It's $109 but with the stock oil filters $15 a pop & most people put on a $40 billet oil filter protector It will pay for itself in no time. check out This thread for more info on the Scotts filter.

The aluminum air boxes replace the stock air box. I use the Pro Design adaptor with a K&N air filter, But when the Sparks air box comes out I'm getting one of them.

Dynojet's jetting recomendations are for under 3000 ft, 3000 to 6000ft & over 6000 ft so you may need to rejet.

What pipe are you looking at? I run a Sparks X6 with stainless headpipe & spark arrestor & I really like it!! It really woke up my Raptor!! My A$$ dyno said WOW!!
Go to the Sparks Racing Web Site go to the Raptor page, click exhaust & scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click on the picture of the Raptor in the dunes (That's MY Raptor!!) & you can see what the X6 looks like.

Old 06-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Moose!

Thanks for the info. Break in really sucks. I'll have to tell my wife to keep the RPM's up a little when she runs it. Everytime she comes back that fan is running on it. On the X6 pipe, how loud is it? I ride on BLM land, so I have to keep the DB below 101. I thought the X6 was a racing exhaust, and loud as heck??? Since you have one, any idea how loud it is??? Everyone who has one loves them... Thanks for the info on the airbox. Before I do anything, I'm making this thing wider....After that, I will just put a pipe on it. Your bike rulez! Looks sweet in that picture!!! I will probably not go any farther on my engine that to put a pipe, filter, and re-jet. Anyway, thanks again for the info. Let me know about how loud that pipe of yours is. I'd be curious. I thought the Sparks pipes where real loud. But the A$$ dyno is what really counts, but I don't want to get the USFS after it! Thanks!

Old 06-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

BlueRulez, The Sparks pipe with all the disc in the spark arrestor is 102db. You could take a disc or two out & be under 101db. It will cost a little top end but you will gain it back in low end torque. I lucked out on that pic of my quad! I was suprised when sparks asked if they could use the pic! What did you think about the Scotts oil filter? I'm also not in a hurry to go in to my motor. I'm going to wait till I need a valve job Or rings till I go in my motor. When I do go for it I'll put in a Sparks 690 kit.

3TV, letting a new motor idle for an extended time is not a good idea! you need to vary the revs for proper cam break in.

The Pro Design adaptor is the way to go on the air filter setup, But if you look in your stock snorkle you will see some restrictors in it. So 3TV what may seem to be perfect jetting may actually be lean. with the lid off & stock jetting you are getting a lot more air than you think as the restrictors take up about 25% of the snorkle's intake tract. A motor makes more power when running lean but is harder on the motor. I'd bump up my stock jets if your running without the lid.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

I see what your saying. Us flat landers have a problem understanding high altitude sometimes!!

I was just wondering did your Raptor come stock with the same jetting as mine?
My stock settings were, mains 140~145, pilots 25's, air corr 2 1/4 turns out & needles on 3rd groove from top. I always assumed that the quads were jetted by the dealer for the higher altitudes.

11,500 feet! Damn I'd need to carry oxygen with me!! LOL!!

Old 06-16-2002, 11:17 PM
RIP Dear Friend

BlueRulez,

You have an 02 with all the improvements. You will be wasting your money on the extended warranty.

If your worried about it stuff that money you would have spent on the warranty in the cookie jar.

Extended warranties are the biggest money makers since the selling of the Brooklyn bridge began.

I have never purchased an extended warranty and never will and have saved thousands and now can afford to fix it because I never bought one of those money making devices.

Chet

Old 06-17-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Moose, lucky or not, that picture is awesome! Yes, that oil filter looks pretty cool. I gotta have one now. Man, didn't realize I needed such deep pockets once I moved over to the sport quad world. Oh well, if you don't spend money on it, my wife will find something else to spend it on! lol... I like you, once I need this motor to be rebuilt, then I will look at going into it. I will consider the X6 pipe, because low and mid range is mostly what I will be using. I ride on tight woods trails, and can only open it up once I get on the old skid roads. I live in California, so you have to be real careful when you get off designated trails. I have a pretty good stack of maps I haul around with me, so I can check to make sure I'm legal before I tear off down the road.

3TV, I have looked at the LRD pipe too. Did you go with a slip on, or the full system? Did it give you added power through the whole range? And what did your a** dyno say? By the way, in your other thread about the Alba A-Arms, thanks for the info. Once I scrape some money together, I'm going with them! And thanks for the elevation info. I was going to take it to a shop and have them jet it for me. There's a place about an hour away that will jet it on the dyno for you. But, it looks like I will need to jet it at different times of the year, and for different elevations, so I better figure it out now.

Raptorfm660r, I am not going to get the extended warranty. Thanks for the advice. Seems that once I do the hop ups, they probably won't honor it anyway!

Thanks for the info everyone. I knew I could always count on this forum for help!

Old 06-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

GET the yoshi pipe it is a good pipe and is only 100db

Old 06-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< Seems that once I do the hop ups, they probably won't honor it anyway! >>

TRUE!